New video rumored to show close-up of Apple car's updated 'Project Titan' testbed

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,249member
    Soli said:
    cali said:
    Soli said:
    Maybe it’s overkill for research sake, but that seems more like it’s designed for street level mapping, not specifically for self driving.
    Why not do both? Seems logical Apple is collecting data for decades to come. 
    Hence, including the part of the statement that starts off with "not specifically for." I specifically added that to make sure my statement was inclusive!
    I didn't disagree with your original statement; I just implied that it was a proof of concept that would be miniaturized. I might be wrong about that, but why wouldn't Apple invest in optimizing LIDAR and the local processing technology, and have a path to miniaturizing it?
  • Reply 22 of 30
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,277member
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    cali said:
    Soli said:
    Maybe it’s overkill for research sake, but that seems more like it’s designed for street level mapping, not specifically for self driving.
    Hence, including the part of the statement that starts off with "not specifically for." I specifically added that to make sure my statement was inclusive!
    I didn't disagree with your original statement; I just implied that it was a proof of concept that would be miniaturized. I might be wrong about that, but why wouldn't Apple invest in optimizing LIDAR and the local processing technology, and have a path to miniaturizing it?
    Isn’t the iPhone x camera bump and neural processor already a significant investment in miniaturization?

• Reply 23 of 30
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Soli said:
    cali said:
    Soli said:
    Oops read that as suggesting a single purpose. You’re right I don’t see Apple wasting opportunities. 
  • Reply 24 of 30
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,249member
    mattinoz said:
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    cali said:
    Soli said:
    Isn’t the iPhone x camera bump and neural processor already a significant investment in miniaturization?

Sure.

Hence, why I'm extrapolating where all of this is going, at least as a R&D effort. It wouldn't be difficult to imagine that Apple would repurpose its investment in neural processors and machine language, not to mention image processing and SoC design,  for mapping and autonomous driving enhancements.

Who knows where that investment will ultimately lead. 
  • Reply 25 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,096member
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    In any event there is no Apple relationship with Lyft as far as I can find.  
    Regardless of whether they have no connection or an exclusive contract it misses the point of the original post completely. I made a post about one service to get an odd rebuttal about miniaturization, and then you reply about what comes next just to get a comment about a will-they-or-won't-they partnership with Lyft. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    I was replying to Tmay. TBH I hadn't even read your comment before doing so. But now I have. :)
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Another unsightly camera bump.
    "Steve Jobs would never..."
    JWSCdoozydozen
  • Reply 27 of 30
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    cali said:
    Soli said:

• Reply 28 of 30
    The likely case is that the overkill of sensors are there to provide ground truth data for the reduced set of vision sensors (cameras).

By having ground truth, they can do supervised deep learning. With the labeled data, they can train their neural networks to work best once they remove all the expensive sensors and leave only the reduced set of cheap sensors there.

Also they are able to do verification of their algorithms by having ground truth.

Google does image recognition similarly. They paid hundreds of people to manually label millions of images, which formed their ground truth. Then trained their neural nets using this labeled dataset. The resulting classifier now is able to accurately recognize cat photos completely automatically.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Ah ! A complete new approach to safety ! Other drivers will they stay away (and pedestrians will be safe climbing street lights...)
  • Reply 30 of 30
    JWSC said:

Unless, and I doubt this to be the case, they are going the AppleTV route and designing a system that can be added on to existing cars.  Maybe you sync an iPhone to a car and it drives it??!  Nah.

Interest notion you pose. The hardware currently used is incredibly analogous to Apple TV functioning as a set-top box. It’s possible Apple’s autonomous platform is a self-contained box that fits to existing vehicle roofs and interfaces via OBD port (that’s a gross oversimplification of what’s most likely physically impossible). But worth the food for thought. Thanks for you ideas.