Adobe splits Lightroom photo workflow software into cloud-based & 'Classic' versions

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member

rockaw said:
    Inexplicably, edits made to photos in "classic" do not show up in the new Lr CC. 

FAIL.
    That is completely explicable. It is explained in every FAQ about the difference between Classic & CC. The libraries are separate. Adobe has taken pains to make this point. 

There are certainly other “inexplicable” things, like, how well will CC manage network demands. A pro photo repository in the cloud will be very demanding of network resources unless they have been very careful to manage the bandwidth required to provide good performance. 
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Rayz2016 said:
    At first glance, this seems like a very confusing decision. Without learning more, I can't figure out what benefit there would be to having a standalone piece of software that syncs, instead of folding new mobile sync features into the existing version. Renaming the existing Lightroom as "classic" seems like an odd naming choice, too, because it makes it sound like it's the "old" way of doing things. The "new" Lightroom sounds more like a Lightroom "Elements" sort of program geared toward consumers. It doesn't seem like photographers with huge libraries would want to pay to have all their data stored on Adobe's servers.
    Well, you’re right: calling it “Classic” is designed to make potential customers think it is out of date because Adobe wants them on the subscription. 
    Both Classic & CC are only available via subscription. So, um, either way, you are paying a subscription. Or you can stay with LR6 and rot with the rest of the h8trz
  • Reply 23 of 32
    polymnia said:
    I use Capture One Pro which is used by many of the top pros including Annie Leibovitz.  The software is in many ways superior to what Adobe does and is what you'd expect from a company that also manufactures some of the best medium format cameras in the world.  It works for both Mac and PC and when you buy it you can use it on up to three computers.  Capture One Pro has great asset management.  I'm just a middle of the road semi-professional and already have over 5TB of photos so those cloud solutions simply suck for so many reasons.  In the long run it is much less expensive than renting an Adobe product too.  For photo editing I'll take my photos out to Affinity Pro or Pixelmator on my Mac, or out to Corel Photo Paint on a PC.  Stop feeding the Adobe beast and get more for less.
    Last I checked, the latest version of Capture One Pro was subscription. Am I wrong on that?
    Capture One has added a subscription option but still features and sells the download version.  First time users will pay $299 but upgrades which typically happen once a year tend to cost $99.  I upgrade every other year so after the initial investment, my cost of ownership works out to $4.12 a month.  That is close to a $400 savings over two years compared to Adobe.  If Adobe was a much better product it might be worth the price, but it is not better.  I use the savings to buy more gear. 
  • Reply 24 of 32
    polymnia said:
    I use Capture One Pro which is used by many of the top pros including Annie Leibovitz.  The software is in many ways superior to what Adobe does and is what you'd expect from a company that also manufactures some of the best medium format cameras in the world.  It works for both Mac and PC and when you buy it you can use it on up to three computers.  Capture One Pro has great asset management.  I'm just a middle of the road semi-professional and already have over 5TB of photos so those cloud solutions simply suck for so many reasons.  In the long run it is much less expensive than renting an Adobe product too.  For photo editing I'll take my photos out to Affinity Pro or Pixelmator on my Mac, or out to Corel Photo Paint on a PC.  Stop feeding the Adobe beast and get more for less.
    Last I checked, the latest version of Capture One Pro was subscription. Am I wrong on that?
    Capture One has added a subscription option but still features and sells the download version.  First time users will pay $299 but upgrades which typically happen once a year tend to cost $99.  I upgrade every other year so after the initial investment, my cost of ownership works out to $4.12 a month.  That is close to a $400 savings over two years compared to Adobe.  If Adobe was a much better product it might be worth the price, but it is not better.  I use the savings to buy more gear. 
    Sounds like it works for you. I prefer to get the latest greatest, which is why I don’t mind (actually prefer) the subscription. 

And capture one one is a better tool for the jobbing photog, based on my understanding. 
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Capture One is the weapon of choice for professional photographers. Lightroom is used by a certain subset of Pros, mostly those who are not doing high-end work and/or don’t want to pay for yet another photo package when they already have an Adobe subscription. I personally can’t stand Lightroom and prefer to use Bridge to organize our files, add metadata, etc. once we have exported them for retouching out of Capture One.
    midwestapplefan
  • Reply 26 of 32
    polymnia said:
    polymnia said:
    Sounds like it works for you. I prefer to get the latest greatest, which is why I don’t mind (actually prefer) the subscription. 

And capture one one is a better tool for the jobbing photog, based on my understanding. 
    ...and Adobe sounds like to works for you.  To each his/her own.  I'm not trying to change your mind.  Just commenting here.   I've looked at Adobe's upgrades to Photoshop from versions Haiku, to Big Rig, to White Lion and just don't understand how they've gotten anyone to believe that they are doing more or better upgrades with a subscription model.  From what I see, the upgrades are often minor or bug fixes that everyone else provides for free.  Yes, there are improvements but nothing really more than vendors that sell the software and provide occasional upgrades.  It just seems like a blatant attempt to make more money without providing anything substantially more for the consumer.  It is a significant difference in price.  Over a decade Adobe users will spend around $2,000  more on their product.  I guess Adobe counts on the fact that creative types are not accountants.  The only reason I can see is because they have a huge body of users it makes collaboration easier, but that is not a feature of the software, it is an advantage of their market position.  My undergrad was liberal arts but my master's degree is in business.  The Adobe model does not add up for the consumer in my view.  
  • Reply 27 of 32
    polymnia said:
    polymnia said:

...and Adobe sounds like to works for you.  To each his/her own.  I'm not trying to change your mind.  Just commenting here.   I've looked at Adobe's upgrades to Photoshop from versions Haiku, to Big Rig, to White Lion and just don't understand how they've gotten anyone to believe that they are doing more or better upgrades with a subscription model.  From what I see, the upgrades are often minor or bug fixes that everyone else provides for free.  Yes, there are improvements but nothing really more than vendors that sell the software and provide occasional upgrades.  It just seems like a blatant attempt to make more money without providing anything substantially more for the consumer.  It is a significant difference in price.  Over a decade Adobe users will spend around $2,000  more on their product.  I guess Adobe counts on the fact that creative types are not accountants.  The only reason I can see is because they have a huge body of users it makes collaboration easier, but that is not a feature of the software, it is an advantage of their market position.  My undergrad was liberal arts but my master's degree is in business.  The Adobe model does not add up for the consumer in my view.  
    So it’s it subscription that really bugs you? You threw out a bunch of technical reasons to prefer Capture One that made perfect sense to me. Now you have made the proclamation that Adobe doesn’t add up for consumers?

i question the premise that Adobe is marketing any of this to the consumer. Everyone I know who subscribes is a professional. While I am not a professional photographer, I am a professional designer & photo editor. And I’ve found quite a lot of value in the subscription CC model. I’m not really in the business of pinching pennies. I’m in the business  of getting work done, and I’ve seen real improvement that helps me do that on the regular since CC.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    So once again Adobe has proven to be lying sacks of shit...

They SWORE that Lightroom would always be available in a non-cloud version, not tied to Creative Cloud, and here we are, Lightroom coming in a CC and "Classic" variant, except the Classic is still tied to the Cloud now!

This is the nail in the coffin for me, I'm not going to give Adobe money to "rent" software for my photo library. Now is the time for me to dump their garbage and their deceit.
    Er … according to your own post, it is available in a non-cloud version: Classic. 

They “SWORE” it would always be available in a non-cloud version; did they also SWEAR to keep updating it? 
  • Reply 29 of 32
    polymnia said:
    polymnia said:
    polymnia said:

So it’s it subscription that really bugs you? You threw out a bunch of technical reasons to prefer Capture One that made perfect sense to me. Now you have made the proclamation that Adobe doesn’t add up for consumers?

i question the premise that Adobe is marketing any of this to the consumer. Everyone I know who subscribes is a professional. While I am not a professional photographer, I am a professional designer & photo editor. And I’ve found quite a lot of value in the subscription CC model. I’m not really in the business of pinching pennies. I’m in the business  of getting work done, and I’ve seen real improvement that helps me do that on the regular since CC.
    You've implied I changed my tune.  The following sentence is from my original post, "In the long run it is much less expensive than renting an Adobe product too." So you see the subscription model was part of the issue from the start.  And my latest post was in response to your post where you said,  "I prefer to get the latest greatest, which is why I don’t mind (actually prefer) the subscription."   So I was countering the downside of the subscription model. Not changing the story. 

I understand it can be a lot of work to perfect a photo and doing it for a living makes the decision to use Adobe very easy.  My son at art school got handed a MacBook Pro with all the Adobe software on it ready to go and he loves it.  But it is not for everyone as should be apparent by now. 

• Reply 30 of 32
    Rayz2016 said:
    So once again Adobe has proven to be lying sacks of shit...

They SWORE that Lightroom would always be available in a non-cloud version, not tied to Creative Cloud, and here we are, Lightroom coming in a CC and "Classic" variant, except the Classic is still tied to the Cloud now!

This is the nail in the coffin for me, I'm not going to give Adobe money to "rent" software for my photo library. Now is the time for me to dump their garbage and their deceit.
    Er … according to your own post, it is available in a non-cloud version: Classic. 

They “SWORE” it would always be available in a non-cloud version; did they also SWEAR to keep updating it? 
    To be clear, Classic is a subscription product. 

Also, it was only promised that LR 6 would be available via perpetual license. 

Afobe never said they wouldn’t offer multiple new versions of the subscription product. 

And, really, why would they promise that?
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 31 of 32
    polymnia said:
    polymnia said:
    polymnia said:

You've implied I changed my tune.  The following sentence is from my original post, "In the long run it is much less expensive than renting an Adobe product too." So you see the subscription model was part of the issue from the start.  And my latest post was in response to your post where you said,  "I prefer to get the latest greatest, which is why I don’t mind (actually prefer) the subscription."   So I was countering the downside of the subscription model. Not changing the story. 

I understand it can be a lot of work to perfect a photo and doing it for a living makes the decision to use Adobe very easy.  My son at art school got handed a MacBook Pro with all the Adobe software on it ready to go and he loves it.  But it is not for everyone as should be apparent by now. 

Totally agree. Not for everyone. That’s why I suggest Adobe isn’t targeting the consumer. They are all in on the pro market. The subscription actually makes accounting easier for me. I don’t need to report my adobe software as an asset hat is depreciated over years, its just as simple cost of business. Like a leased Mac. 
  • Reply 32 of 32
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Rayz2016 said:

I think the original poster was referring to a perpetual license. As far as I can tell there is no version that is not subscription. There is a locally installed version and an online version but both are subscription.