New York City subway will replace MetroCard with Apple Pay tap-to-pay starting in 2018

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    So whatever happened to Samsung Pay??? You never hear anything about that anymore after the ridiculous commercials that were ran. You never see any special deals with Samsung Pay or anything like that. 
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 22 of 29
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    macxpress said:
    So whatever happened to Samsung Pay??? You never hear anything about that anymore after the ridiculous commercials that were ran. 
    It was just mentioned in this very article. What's to say? It works. Apple cleared the pay and paved the road into the jungle that Android Pay and Samsung Pay now use. Samsung Pay even has GC support that would be great to see on Apple Pay.

• Reply 23 of 29
    Soli said:
    cali said:
    Wait will the knockoffs piggy back Apple’s hard work or not?
    Come on! Apple didn't invent NFC-based payments, and even if we consider the work they did to make Apple Pay secure by keeping the financial institutions in control instead of Google's previous setup fo running everything through their own partners, this is not an area where you need to be pointing fingers as all adoption is good for the safety of the consumer. IOW, the more the merrier.

You know that "knockoffs" are Cali's thing, but I can see where he's coming from.

I personally feel it's good if more and more universal tech finds widespread usage and all major tech companies support it.

ApplePay or SamsungPay should boil down to personal preference, not be the only option.

edited October 2017
  • Reply 24 of 29
    anome said:

It is interesting that of all the places I've been in the US, NYC is the one that uses what now seems an antiquated cardboard card. I realise that updating the entire Subway system is non-trivial, so it makes sense that they've taken longer than most to update, but it does mean one fewer cards in my collection of international travel cards. (Although maybe I'll get a card anyway, since credit card fees, plus ForEx fees might make using Apple Pay more expensive, if a lot more convenient.

I use a pre-paid multi-currency card for things like this. You only pay a ForEx fee when you load the money onto the card in your local currency and change it into USD or Euro's or whatever.
    Some hotel reservation systems don't like them so I often make the reservation using a normal card but pay with the currency card. Other than that paying for tolls etc with them is far, far easier.
    Soli
  • Reply 25 of 29
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    At a one and three quarters billion transactions per year I can see their wanting to get it right. 
  • Reply 26 of 29
    mike1 said:
    Couple of things to consider...
    1. Many users will still need to keep a metrocard handy until contactless payments are available system wide.
    2. I could be wrong but I would think that one of the options for users would be a pre-loaded card for those who would prefer that instead of hitting a debit/credit card with dozens of small charges all the time. Like any gift card that can be used through the Wallet. Personally, I'd rather load up an electronic metrocard once a month than see lots of small charges pinging my account each week.
    3.What's the option after 2023 for people who don't have smartphones tied to bank accounts or credit cards? There will be those people.
    D. C. system uses a contactless card that gets refilled. As does Philadelphia. A NYC entry kiosk can multitask just like those. The D. C. ones also did/do swipes. Probably a reasonable transition move per your item 1: once 100% built out for all 472 stations plus all the bus kiosks just turn off the swipe function and stop issuing swipe cards. The contract is for “contactless payment services” that simply includes Applepay. Nothing in that excludes refillable contactless cards such as D. C. now has. 
  • Reply 27 of 29
    AI_lias said:
    Wow, so everyone will have to buy iPhones then, based on the headline?
    Yes, yes they will. And they will be better for it. :)
  • Reply 28 of 29
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    Bit of background on this: New York are buying the system developed in London. It’ll work with Apple Pay, Android Pay, contactless bank cards, etc. Refillable payment cards are also available (but can be topped-up online as well as from a physical machine).
    cropr
  • Reply 29 of 29
    anome said:

It is interesting that of all the places I've been in the US, NYC is the one that uses what now seems an antiquated cardboard card.

It's actually plastic.