Survey finds iPhone X & 8 purchase intent at highest level since Apple launched the iPhone...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54

Soli said:
    kevin kee said:
    larrystar said:
     I love Apple but I’m tired of them saying the iPhone X is full screen there’s clearly a black  bezel around the phone and that very ugly notch,  then the camera bump really and they want at least $1000 for this 64 gigs it’s time to take a stand and say no.
    I am tired of people saying it is not full screen just because of 1mm ‘bezel’ to protect your screen from gripping hand. I am tired of people parroting trolls in this forum. I am tired of all of these newbies popping out of nowhere and talking like a dumb clown (sorry, Pennywise) in the forum.
    2) Your excuse that the bezel is to "protect your screen from gripping hand" makes no sense. You can say that they need a slight bezel because of the physics of durability, but don't suggest it's because of accidental input so they made it artificially larger than it could've been.
    So how do you know that it isn't for that reason, if at least partially? Accidental input detection is not perfect, even on my new iPad Pro, and it seems reasonable that one reason for the bezel is to give a slight gripping surface off-screen. Since I'm not on the design team or a part of Apple's development process I really don't know, but neither do you. It doesn't seem outlandish at all.
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 54

lkrupp said:
    larrystar said:
     I love Apple but I’m tired of them saying the iPhone X is full screen there’s clearly a black  bezel around the phone and that very ugly notch,  then the camera bump really and they want at least $1000 for this 64 gigs it’s time to take a stand and say no.
    Double B.S. So go ahead and sue for false advertising and see how far you get.
    Here’s one simple way to think about it: what does Apple do 2-3 years from now if they ship an iPhone with no notch? Describe it as “Really all screen this time”?
    I don't think they'll talk about "really all screen" at all. They'll just show it and let the device speak for itself.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 54
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    But a YouTube commenter told me Angela Ahrendts doesn't wanna upsell customers to X because the 8 isn't selling!! (TRUE STORY....SMH).

I don't know who to believe! The iKnockoff paid media? Forum trolls? Youtube videos?

/s

larrystar said:
    TVs have been Full Screen for decades and they have bezels the size of iPhones.

Oh that's right, Apple and only Apple should be critisized.

lkrupp said:

kevin kee said:
    larrystar said:
    I am tired of people saying it is not full screen just because of 1mm ‘bezel’ to protect your screen from gripping hand. I am tired of people parroting trolls in this forum. I am tired of all of these newbies popping out of nowhere and talking like a dumb clown (sorry, Pennywise) in the forum.
    And like the typical troll, they waltz into a forum, squat and drop a Baby Ruth turd on the floor, admire it, and then leave.
    I once heard a member of this site say:

They drop their turd and leave and the rest of the members gather around it, smelling it, poking it with a stick.

I try to avoid such idiots but stupidity is a pet peeve of mine and nothing pisses me off more.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 54
    lkrupp said:
    larrystar said:
    So I guess John Gruber and Ken Segall are full of BS too?

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2017/10/20/its-all-screen
    I don’t have a problem with the side and bottom edges of the iPhone X being described as “all screen”. It’s not the same as Samsung’s Galaxy Edge sides, but I dislike the way those Edge phones look when I hold them. If there were no notch — that is to say, if the top of the iPhone X looked exactly like the bottom — I would have no problem declaring that “all screen” would be a fair description.

But with the notch? No way. Here’s one simple way to think about it: what does Apple do 2-3 years from now if they ship an iPhone with no notch? Describe it as “Really all screen this time”?

Let me not comment about your favorite blogosphere residents. But you’re “holding it wrong”. The issue, I mean. Forget the notch, it is an unimportant compromise. From 2-3 years from now it will hopefully disappear totally. Didn’t you ever think why Apple choosed to reduce it horizontally instead of making it flush left-right? There should be a reason for that. I take this as a message: “We’re reducing it, it will be gone forever.” The notch is not a deal-breaker.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 54
    Considering the "lesser than" quality of both Samsung and Google offerings out there right now, Apple will mop the floor with their competitors.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 54
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

Soli said:
    kevin kee said:
    larrystar said:
    2) Your excuse that the bezel is to "protect your screen from gripping hand" makes no sense. You can say that they need a slight bezel because of the physics of durability, but don't suggest it's because of accidental input so they made it artificially larger than it could've been.
    So how do you know that it isn't for that reason, if at least partially? Accidental input detection is not perfect, even on my new iPad Pro, and it seems reasonable that one reason for the bezel is to give a slight gripping surface off-screen. Since I'm not on the design team or a part of Apple's development process I really don't know, but neither do you. It doesn't seem outlandish at all.
    1) Because it's obvious that a fraction of a mm isn't going to make a difference when you consider the size and number point of a hand gripping a device. It's like worrying about the mass of an atom by adding up the electrons but not considering the nucleus.

2) Do you honestly believe that they couldn't make the device get closer to the edge because of SW or do you think that it's actually the physics of the display tech and casing durability?
  • Reply 27 of 54
    Soli said:

Soli said:
    kevin kee said:
    larrystar said:
    1) Because it's obvious that a fraction of a mm isn't going to make a difference when you consider the size and number point of a hand gripping a device. It's like worrying about the mass of an atom by adding up the electrons but not considering the nucleus.

2) Do you honestly believe that they couldn't make the device get closer to the edge because of SW or do you think that it's actually the physics of the display tech and casing durability?
    1) considering neither of us have held it on our hands I don’t find anything about your guesses obvious whatsoever. 

2) I know from personal experience palm detection isn’t yet perfected on the latest ipad pro, so no, I don’t think the software is perfect yet. Like most things I believe there are multiple factors at play and that nothing is as simple as those who aren’t involved in building products say they are. 
    edited October 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 54
    cali said:
    larrystar said:
    TVs have been Full Screen for decades and they have bezels the size of iPhones.

Oh that's right, Apple and only Apple should be critisized.
    I've never once seen a TV advertised as "full screen." I've seen "thin bezel" and "bezel less," but never "full screen." What is the alternative to a non-fullscreen TV since the origin of the term is from using desktop OS, thereby having an option between a windowed content and full screen content.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    Soli said:

Soli said:
    kevin kee said:
    larrystar said:

1) considering neither of us have held it on our hands I don’t find anything about your guesses obvious whatsoever. 

2) I know from personal experience palm detection isn’t yet perfected on the latest ipad pro, so no, I don’t think the software is perfect yet. Like most things I believe there are multiple factors at play and that nothing is as simple as those who aren’t involved in building products say they are. 
    I've never held a lot of things and yet I can tell you certain things are absolute because I live in the here and now where there's known technologies and natural laws.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    So one minute we get 8 sales are anemic, fewer have upgraded to an 8 than typically upgrade to an S model etc. and purchase intent for 8 and X is the highest ever. There’s no way both can be right. So I say believe neither and wait for Apple to sales from the holiday quarter.
    one could say that until there is an X in stores, the decision to upgrade is stalled.   Intent to buy an iPhone 'Next' is highest ever, but the decision is delayed 6-10 weeks.

I am delaying for this and other reasons (buying down my current rent to own, as I'm 25 months into a 30 month plan... 1 more month, and I can buy out instead of replacing my cracked screen and trade in to ATT).  I'm 90% sure I'm buying an X, but 10% tells me an 8+ is enough.   OLED visual value and the 'feel' are critical determinators for me.  both of which I can't compare without having them in hand.

• Reply 31 of 54
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    larrystar said:
    Then take a stand. Go make some fucking signs and organize a protest. And while you're at it, learn some grammar and basic sentence structure. 
    edited October 2017 pscooter63radarthekattmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 54
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

Soli said:
    kevin kee said:
    larrystar said:

I've never held a lot of things and yet I can tell you certain things are absolute because I live in the here and now where there's known technologies and natural laws.
    Ok, so what specific "natural laws" make it "obvious" that it makes "no sense" that the physical bezel around the touch screen may indeed be helpful in the usability and prevention of accidental edge taps?

Sorry dude but you're just talking out of your ass on this one. You simply do not now, and the fact that you've never even seen or touched the device doesn't help your position of faux authority on the matter.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 54
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

Soli said:
    kevin kee said:
    larrystar said:

Ok, so what specific "natural laws" make it "obvious" that it makes "no sense" that the physical bezel around the touch screen may indeed be helpful in the usability and prevention of accidental edge taps?

Sorry dude but you're just talking out of your ass on this one. You simply do not now, and the fact that you've never even seen or touched the device doesn't help your position of faux authority on the matter.
    1) If the iPad Pro's bezel are already "too thin" to keep accidental touches from happening it would mean that the really "too thin" on every iPhone and iPod Touch that has ever existed. That's not the case, so it can't be anecdotal claim.

2) You can't the display go completely to the edge without there being structure supports for the display in its casing. If you can explain to me how a display could extend beyond a display that would be something, but you can't, because this is reality. Why completely ignore that the device needs to have structure integrity? Why ignore that even devices you don't touch, like TVs, have bezels? Are you really going to pull out a facile "because of palm recognize" for that, too? You still haven't made a cogent rebuttal as to why an additional .01mm of bezel is going to affect palm recognition at all. You simply can't because it's about the limitation of useable technologies, like a bendable OLED display) and physics (being able to create a structure that can be contain a display and glass cover in a casing that won't fall apart).

3) Are you also going to argue that they coudn't have made the chin and forehead smaller because of accidental touches, because I'd really love to see that.

4) You honestly think Apple is such a piece of company that they don't consider the structural integrity fo their devices? Did you not see when idiots went out of their way to bend the new iPhone that had a much wider footprint with a thickness about the same as before, which meant it was now possible to bend it with considerable force, thereby forcing them to use an even strong aluminium alloy to deal with a stupid problem? I do, and maybe I'm wrong that you do as well because if had seem that then you'd understand that material science isn't a fucking myth. You know this so stop implying that the structure of the device is not only at play, but the only obvious option.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 34 of 54
    lkrupp said:
    larrystar said:

I don’t have a problem with the side and bottom edges of the iPhone X being described as “all screen”. It’s not the same as Samsung’s Galaxy Edge sides, but I dislike the way those Edge phones look when I hold them. If there were no notch — that is to say, if the top of the iPhone X looked exactly like the bottom — I would have no problem declaring that “all screen” would be a fair description.

But with the notch? No way. Here’s one simple way to think about it: what does Apple do 2-3 years from now if they ship an iPhone with no notch? Describe it as “Really all screen this time”?

Yes. Definitely yes. 

The concrete thinking and semantics behind all the whining about the notch is ridiculous. And while gruber is generally a very excellent Apple blogger (while also, sadly, a sloppy political blogger), he’s not omnipotent when it comes to Apple.

It’s the same ridiculous argument when it comes to the camera bump. There’re some very clear limitations dictated by physics and current technology that are an important part of the equation.

What would you have Apple do? Create an assymetrical forehead-only phone and market it as “almost bezelless” or “almost all screen”?

What about when the notch appears on the iPad, or the MacBook. Are the same people going to whine about the screen not being “all screen” or not really a ‘full 13” or 15’?

I don’t know what’s motivating all the whining, other than the concrete thinking I noted above. My guess is that it’s more people trying to find something about Apple to pick at so they can be proud of themselves for being “objective.”
    edited October 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 54
    lkrupp said:
    larrystar said:

Yes. Definitely yes. 

The concrete thinking and semantics behind all the whining about the notch is ridiculous. And while gruber is generally a very excellent Apple blogger (while also, sadly, a sloppy political blogger), he’s not omnipotent when it comes to Apple.

It’s the same ridiculous argument when it comes to the camera bump. There’re some very clear limitations dictated by physics and current technology that are an important part of the equation.

What would you have Apple do? Create an assymetrical forehead-only phone and market it as “almost bezelless” or “almost all screen”?

What about when the notch appears on the iPad, or the MacBook. Are the same people going to whine about the screen not being “all screen” or not really a ‘full 13” or 15’?

I don’t know what’s motivating all the whining, other than the concrete thinking I noted above. My guess is that it’s more people trying to find something about Apple to pick at so they can be proud of themselves for being “objective.”
    If any other vendor said that their display's entire front was "all screen" I don't think you or others would hesitate on taking them to task for what clearly isn't "all screen." It's a lot more screen for the given footprint, and it certainly removes the chin and forehead as the screen do roll up the sides over onto the top edge, but it's factually not "all screen." I don't understand why anyone would ignore these areas of the front face—not even including the footprint that shows a much greater 2D area of not being all screen when looking down or the actually statement that "it's all screen" to claim the entire front is "all screen." Why not say that it's as close as you can get right now while still using amazing new technologies, like Face ID, and leave it at that? That doesn't take away from the engineering that went into the device, its appeal, or how everyone else is going to scramble to follow Apple into the future… yet again.
    rogifan_new
  • Reply 36 of 54
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    larrystar said:
    Soon to be duplicated by Scamscum.  Whine much?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 54
    so this is one of those articles, trying to stay bullish on aapl when the stock is going down
  • Reply 38 of 54
    johnbear said:
    so this is one of those articles, trying to stay bullish on aapl when the stock is going down
    The DJI went down 0.23% today and AAPL went down 0.05%. I don't consider that cause for alarm or a need to interject a conspiracy that suggests the AI staff are unethically trying to buoy their investments.
    muthuk_vanalingamradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 54
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    I have mixed feelings about the notch, but it does serve at least one important purpose that I haven’t seen anyone mention yet—it helps you orient the phone properly. Otherwise, you’d be frequently holding it upside down, which is fine in some cases, but annoying if you pick it up to use it as a telephone. There are other ways they could have solved this problem, but it is worth noting. 

I also think it’s funny how much discussion has been devoted to the notch. 
    edited October 2017 ibill
  • Reply 40 of 54
    I have mixed feelings about the notch, but it does serve at least one important purpose that I haven’t seen anyone mention yet—it helps you orient the phone properly. Otherwise, you’d be frequently holding it upside down, which is fine if you’re looking at a picture, but less fine if you’re trying to use it as a telephone. There are other ways they could have solved this problem, but it is worth noting. 

I also think it’s funny how much discussion has been devoted to the notch. 
    If you place something over the chin and forehead of a current iPhone I think you can also orient it easily by looking at the lock screen or by feeling the camera bump or buttons. Less obvious, to me, is the Apple Siri Remote, but that's become significantly better—albeit not perfect—with the inclusion of the Menu Button bump on the redesigned remote for the 5th gen Apple TV.