Apple opens up pre-approval for iPhone X buyers in iPhone Upgrade Program

Posted:
in iPhone
People in Apple's annual iPhone Upgrade Program can now get their loans pre-approved ahead of this Friday's iPhone X preorders, a critical step if they want a chance at getting one of the few launch-day units likely to be available.

The process involves opening the Apple Store iOS app and selecting a configuration. The app will then explain the monthly cost over two years, which is $49.91 for 64 gigabytes or $56.16 for 256 gigabytes. The Upgrade Program does include an AppleCare+ warranty however, which among other things reduces the cost of accident repairs.

Pre-approval doesn't ensure an iPhone X is coming, so people will still need to return to the app starting at 12:01 a.m. Pacific time (3:01 a.m. Eastern) on Friday to actually submit a preorder.

Unlike 2016, Upgrade Program members will this year be able to go through the same order process as other customers, rather than having to reserve a device at a local store. To trade in an old iPhone -- a condition of the program -- the company is handing out free mail-in kits once an X ships.

Owing to production bottlenecks related to the phone's TrueDepth camera, the iPhone X is expected to be in very short supply, possibly selling out of launch-day stocks within a matter of minutes. While those bottlenecks could be resolved by the end of the year, Apple typically isn't expect to equalize supply and demand until early 2018.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Been trying all day to do this thru the app and keep getting a error message saying “there was trouble adding this item to your bag. Please try again later” Have tried hourly since about 6:30am this morning....ugh. 
  • Reply 2 of 18
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    worked perfectly...
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 3 of 18
    thrang said:
    worked perfectly...
    Did you use iOS app or website? Can’t get it to work. Trying for a Black 256GB
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Note: If you have had an iPhone replaced, make sure Apple & Citizen's One are on the same page.  I couldn't go through the pre-approval process until Apple's engineering team got the replacement phone IMEI number into Citizen's One database (Apple does this, not Citizen's One).

After the database was corrected, the pre-approval process went very quickly at mid afternoon. 
  • Reply 5 of 18
    supadav03 said:
    thrang said:
    worked perfectly...
    Did you use iOS app or website? Can’t get it to work. Trying for a Black 256GB
    Use the Apple Store App for fastest results.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    The pre-approval agreement expires three days after it’s been completed. If a pre-app was completed at 4:00 pm on 10/23, it could seemingly expire before 00:01 on 10/27 when the iPhone X can be ordered. That being said, common sense would dictate that this pre-approval process would not have been available prior to its earliest expiration at 00:01 on 10/27. Any confirmation that pre-apps completed on 10/23 remain valid through 10/27? Better yet, when exactly does the three day expiration start and finish?  The most likely case is that the three day clock starts on midnite of the day pre-app was completed, and expires on midnite three days later. What makes zero sense is that for all of us who completed pre-app today, they would expire midnite on 10/26, which would render all pre-apps done today useless. Unless Apple provides any clarity I intend to re-perform my pre-app every day until midnite on 10/26. 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 7 of 18
    MarksG said:
    The pre-approval agreement expires three days after it’s been completed. If a pre-app was completed at 4:00 pm on 10/23, it could seemingly expire before 00:01 on 10/27 when the iPhone X can be ordered. That being said, common sense would dictate that this pre-approval process would not have been available prior to its earliest expiration at 00:01 on 10/27. Any confirmation that pre-apps completed on 10/23 remain valid through 10/27? Better yet, when exactly does the three day expiration start and finish?  The most likely case is that the three day clock starts on midnite of the day pre-app was completed, and expires on midnite three days later. What makes zero sense is that for all of us who completed pre-app today, they would expire midnite on 10/26, which would render all pre-apps done today useless. Unless Apple provides any clarity I intend to re-perform my pre-app every day until midnite on 10/26. 
    Your spreading BS !!!!    .....STOP !!!

It expires 3 Days AFTER PRE-ORDERING Begins.

So, it expires on Oct. 30 at 12:01 AM, PST.

Worked to perfection for me, through my iPhone Apple Store app.

edited October 2017 JFC_PAStrangeDays
  • Reply 8 of 18
    MarksG needs to learn to READ. The Pre-approval information could not be more clear, it expires three days AFTER PRE-ORDERING BEGINS as the post above says. Please don't post false information.
    JFC_PA
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Thanks for the violent responses...I suppose it would have been far less melodramatic to simply say, “pre-order begins at 12:01 on 10/27 and as such, any pre-applications expire on 12:01 on 10/30. My confusion was due to actions I was taking which were construed by me as “pre-order”. You know, doing things in advance of actually ordering. My apologies for any confusion I might have caused.  In my defense I was really just asking a simple question and hoping for a polite reply.  But just out of curiosity, for you special people that know how to read, if “pre-ordering” begins at 12:01 on 10/27, when does the actual “ordering” process occur? Because as far as I can tell, once you’ve completed the “pre-ordering”, your going to actually receive a phone at some point.  And according to the very basic definition is actually “ordering”.  What I did today in advance of “ordering” was...well...you get the picture. Silly me for thinking my actions today in advance of “ordering” were actually “pre-ordering”. Your so right, the pre-approval information could not be more clear. 
  • Reply 10 of 18
    an abomination of phone with that cutout on the top! can't believe they sell something like this and such expensive. Well after years of upgrades i'll pass on this
  • Reply 11 of 18
    MarksG said:
    Yes, you do that. Every day until midnight. Let us know how it goes.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 18
    All the best guys and gals. Hope you get your iPhone X!
  • Reply 13 of 18
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    I’ll give this a go in a day or two. It’s not like it makes any sort of difference until the Friday witching hour. Best to hit pause until the dust settles. 

The mail in kit kit is a nice touch: I’d prefer to have my new iPhone all set up before turning in my old one, in store what gets loaded is a small
    subset of everything or at least it was a few years back: just what was available from an iCloud backup

edited October 2017
  • Reply 14 of 18
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member
    No AT&T?
    llama
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Bah. Glitched at a bad ssn in the bank system. Well I’ve a couple days to clear it out. 
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 16 of 18
    ktappe said:
    No AT&T?
    Sure. I’ve AT&T and it cleared that check just fine. 
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 17 of 18
    So for the Citizen One ssn glitch where their records don’t match my ssn the Bank rep tipped to just use the “new ssn approval” option. A small bit of extra typing but that ultimately worked quickly and fine. 

Now its just set the alarm and go!
  • Reply 18 of 18
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    No Xfinity? Sucks.