Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, announce iPhone X discounts ahead of launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2019
With just days to go before iPhone X preorders go live, three major U.S. carriers on Monday announced their respective discounts, deals and trade-in incentives for the device, some of which can save buyers up to $350.

Sprint was first to publicize its iPhone X deal, which amounts to a $350 savings on Apple's pricey handset realized through discounts on the carrier's Sprint Flex hardware leasing plan. The plan brings monthly fees for a 64GB iPhone X down to $22.22 over the course of 18 months, a savings of $19.45 per month.

Similar to Sprint's offer for iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, prospective buyers will have to trade in an eligible smartphone to get a break on monthly payments. For Apple device owners, that means handing over an iPhone 6 series handset or newer. Certain contemporary Android products are also eligible for trade-in.

Following the 18 month period, or 12 months under the iPhone Forever upgrade path, subscribers can turn in their iPhone X for a new model or elect to continue payments to keep the phone outright. With the latter option, payments jump to $41.67 per month for the remaining 6 months of the two-year plan.

Both new and existing customers can take advantage of the lease plan.

Verizon was next to advertise their iPhone X incentive, which offers up to $300 off the new device with an eligible trade-in. The deal is limited to current Go Unlimited and Beyond Unlimited subscribers ripe for a device upgrade, or a new customer looking to jump on an unlimited plan.

Customers will need to purchase iPhone X through Verizon and pay a $41.66 per month lease period of 24 months.

The $300 discount, paid out over the two-year window, is tied to an eligible device trade-in. To net the full discount, users can hand over their iPhone 6s series or iPhone 7 series handset. Buyers get back $200 for iPhone 6, 6 Plus and iPhone SE, while a $100 discount applies to iPhone 5, 5s and 5C devices.

Verizon's discount is meted out on a monthly basis, meaning subscribers have to keep with their iPhone X for two years to reap full benefits. Customers who want to switch to a new model or downgrade from an unlimited service tier, will have to pay off the lease balance and forfeit remaining discount payments.

T-Mobile's iPhone X deal is similar to Verizon's version. The "Un-carrier" is offering up to $300 off Apple's upcoming flagship when purchased through a monthly installment program, and with an eligible trade-in.

Unlike other carriers, T-Mobile will pay customers the $300 up front, depending on trade-in value. The balance of the $300 credit not paid at sign up is applied over the course of 24 monthly payments. For example, an iPhone 7 might rate $300, meaning T-Mobile will pay that amount up front. An iPhone SE, however, may fetch $100, which means the remaining $200 in discounts are dispersed in equal installments over the next two years.

T-Mobile breaks down iPhone X pricing as follows:

Equipment Installment Plan --
  • 64GB: $279.99 down, $30 a month (FRP: $999.99)
  • 256GB: $429.99 down, $30 a month (FRP: $1,149.99)
JUMP! On Demand --
  • 64GB: $0 down, $41.56 a month (FRP: $999.99)
  • 256GB: $429.99 down, $24 a month (FRP: $1,149.99)
Like Verizon's deal, payments are spread across a 24-month period, meaning early upgrades will forfeit any remaining discount payments.

Apple is slated to kick off iPhone X preorders on Friday, Oct. 27 at 12:01 a.m. Pacific. The devices will ship out to early customers and hit store shelves on Nov. 3.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    $430 down for JOD? They've lost me to to Apple’s Upgrade Plan.
    RacerhomieXClarityToSeebshankronn
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Get a discount and get locked into some absurd cellular plan for 24 months...no thanks.
    RacerhomieXdws-2ronnbonobobairnerdClarityToSee
  • Reply 3 of 20
    d_2d_2 Posts: 118member
    I’m all about shopping around for deals, but trying to figure out if jumping from my current provider is worth it to save x$ over up to 24 months with all of these caveats isn’t worth my time... let alone any hidden buyout fees or variation in service availability.
    RacerhomieXClarityToSeeronnStrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 20
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    Get a discount and get locked into some absurd cellular plan for 24 months...no thanks.
    Your only locked In til you pay it off. You can pay it off at any time 
    ronnjbdragon
  • Reply 5 of 20
    ClarityToSeeClarityToSee Posts: 34unconfirmed, member
    What a con these carriers are pulling these days! Unbelievable!
    People, listen to me. You are better off putting the whole charge on your “credit card” and paying it off yourselves slowly.  And these are the benefits you get if you do:
    1) You get a truly unlocked iphone from the get go. Make sure you buy the “unlocked sim version” IPhone from Apple directly. None of the carrier versions will do. Verizon and T-Mobile are supposed to be unlocked, but you still are stuck with the carriers until paying off the amount in full. 
    2) “Unlocked Sim” Iphones from Apple covers way more 4G LTE radio bands than any carrier version iphone, allowing you to have a more reliable and faster internet connection when you travel internationally. Even allowing you to put in an international local sim and using it like a local phone without a second thought.
    3) T-Mobile and ATT version IPhones do not work on Verizon and Sprint, even when unlocked by carriers. Another reason to buy “unlocked sim” iPhone from Apple, which works on all Carriers and in all countries. 
    4) You will fetch a much higher resale price when you are ready to sell off your “unlocked sim” iPhone from Apple. 
    So be smart and pay a little interest charge on your card if you have to. Buying from your carrier doesn’t make any sense anymore, unless you like having your strings pulled every now and then. The days when carriers sincerely subsized iphones are long gone!! All that is left now is funny marketing gimmicks calling the potato a “POTATOE”!! When you add everything up, you are paying the full amount of the iPhone to the carrier, infact even more when you add the “upgrade fee”. I know this because I used to work for a BIG carrier and left it because of all the morally corrupt ways the fat cats on top were engineering to pull wool over people’s eyes!
    edited October 2017 ronnSnickersMagoochristopher126
  • Reply 6 of 20
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    This is not a discount. They're paying you below market value for your used iPhone and then taking a year and a half to pay you in the form of tiny, monthly deductions from your lease payments.
    edited October 2017 ronnSnickersMagooairnerdClarityToSee
  • Reply 7 of 20
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    IPhone X discounts?!

must mean DOOM.

/s
  • Reply 8 of 20

These deals don't make any sense if you think them through, but it does herd in a lot of people who look at these deals like savings. And that can only mean good things for the iPhone X.

The only serious problem the iPhone X will have, which every phone before it had, was that Apple can't make them fast enough.

SpamSandwichClarityToSee
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Run don’t walk away from whatever “Deal” Sprint is offering.  I’ve been “trying” Sprint for the last month.  What a huge mistake,  they have bait and switch pricing, horrific support, and a terrible network.

I currently show 4 bars, but if I try to actually do something (watch a video on ESPN for example) suddenly I have one bar and the video stops playing.  And, I’m not talking about buffering it loops the last 5sec. forever.

You have to turn off cellular and turn it back on to fix the problem.  Even doing nothing, and not moving, it will go from full bars to no data 12+ times a day.

T-Mobile in comparison, frequently showed 2 bars but the data never stopped flowing.

I’m ending Sprint forever tomorrow.  It feels like Christmas!
    jbdragonClarityToSee
  • Reply 10 of 20

These deals don't make any sense if you think them through, but it does herd in a lot of people who look at these deals like savings. And that can only mean good things for the iPhone X.

The only serious problem the iPhone X will have, which every phone before it had, was that Apple can't make them fast enough.

The only serious problem is how fast they make them?  I’d add price to that... paying more than $500 for a phone is crazy.

I did buy an IPad for $1000, but that’s a PC replacement...

• Reply 11 of 20
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member

The only serious problem is how fast they make them?  I’d add price to that... paying more than $500 for a phone is crazy.

Cool story. Meanwhile, Apple has been selling hundreds of millions of iPhones every year for the past decade at well over $500 ASP, and are severely supply constrained on every major launch. So yeah, making them fast enough is their only serious problem. 
    netmageStrangeDaysClarityToSee
  • Reply 12 of 20
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    People, listen to me. You are better off putting the whole charge on your “credit card” and paying it off yourselves slowly.  And these are the benefits you get if you do:
    1) You get a truly unlocked iphone from the get go. Make sure you buy the “unlocked sim version” IPhone from Apple directly. None of the carrier versions will do. Verizon and T-Mobile are supposed to be unlocked, but you still are stuck with the carriers until paying off the amount in full. 
    2) “Unlocked Sim” Iphones from Apple covers way more 4G LTE radio bands than any carrier version iphone, allowing you to have a more reliable and faster internet connection when you travel internationally. Even allowing you to put in an international local sim and using it like a local phone without a second thought.
    3) T-Mobile and ATT version IPhones do not work on Verizon and Sprint, even when unlocked by carriers. Another reason to buy “unlocked sim” iPhone from Apple, which works on all Carriers and in all countries. 
    4) You will fetch a much higher resale price when you are ready to sell off your “unlocked sim” iPhone from Apple. 
    So be smart and pay a little interest charge on your card if you have to. Buying from your carrier doesn’t make any sense anymore, unless you like having your strings pulled every now and then. The days when carriers sincerely subsized iphones are long gone!! All that is left now is funny marketing gimmicks calling the potato a “POTATOE”!! When you add everything up, you are paying the full amount of the iPhone to the carrier, infact even more when you add the “upgrade fee”. I know this because I used to work for a BIG carrier and left it because of all the morally corrupt ways the fat cats on top were engineering to pull wool over people’s eyes!

The Verizon version and the sim free version are the same. I once wanted to buy sim free version for a friend of mine who was overseas. The Apple employee told me they don’t have any in stock but sold me a Verizon version at full price and said they are identical (minus the SIM card). I checked Apple’s website (LTE bands for iPhones) and he was right.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Every iPhone for the past few years has been over $500. Just because you may have been previously paying $199 or so w/2yr contract doesn't mean the phone was only $200. You're paying for the phone over the course of your 2yr agreement. You were actually paying more for the phone than you think you were in the end. 

Apple sells tens of millions of iPhones well over the $500 price tag every quarter so I don't think the price tag is the issue. Lets be real here...
    edited October 2017 netmageStrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 14 of 20
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Wait, None of these carriers are giving you a discount. they are only giving you money for a phone you trade in!.
    Well I guess if you have a iphone 5/5s and T-Mobile gives $100 upfront and then 200 over the 2 years possibly might be worth it. But in all reality they are spinning trade in as discounts. This could be construed as false advertising if they are advertising these as discounts.
    I don't think Ive seen deals this bad for a launch in a while. Maybe I'lll hold off until black friday once retailers get these maybe there will better deals 
    ClarityToSee
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Thank you for this...I will do it. :)
    ClarityToSee
  • Reply 16 of 20

Not to sound argumentative...but a lot of people are looking at the phone as a 'PC replacement' in that, this is there main and in some cases only device. We have an iMac, MBP, and iPad at home and my GF never uses any of them, just her iPhone 6.

When we travel, she only brings her iPhone.

She does have a laptop at work. I'll probably end up getting her an iPhone 8 Plus b/c of this. :)
  • Reply 17 of 20
    People, listen to me. You are better off putting the whole charge on your “credit card” and paying it off yourselves slowly.  (...snip...)
    If you pay off a credit card over time, you’re going to be paying a very high interest rate. Better to save up and pay off the phone completely at time of purchase.
    ClarityToSee
  • Reply 18 of 20
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member

Yeah if it were a phone you might gave a point, but considering it’s a pocket computer you don’t. 
  • Reply 19 of 20
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    People, listen to me. You are better off putting the whole charge on your “credit card” and paying it off yourselves slowly.  (...snip...)
    If you pay off a credit card over time, you’re going to be paying a very high interest rate. Better to save up and pay off the phone completely at time of purchase.
    Or, just use one of the common monthly installment plans which carry no interest. 
    ClarityToSee
  • Reply 20 of 20
    The huge down payments for T-Mobile is what keeps me from switching.