Microsoft kills Kinect just as Apple dives into facial recognition with iPhone X Face ID

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Ofcourse Kinect is cancelled, they have evolved since then. Obviously AppleInsider wants to turn it into a sensational piece.  :D
    Evolved into FaceID. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 39
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cali said:
    I told an iPhoney user how amazing it was that Apple shrunk the huge Kinect tech into a tiny centimeters-wide camera array over the time span of just 3 years! I added “I think the whole iPhone X is smaller than Kinect!”

His response?
    ”I’m not surprised. Technology shrinks over time.” (Even though Kinect got larger in Microsoft's hands)

[images]

"Not Impressed."
    It's clear Apple did some amazing innovations with PrimeSense's technology in the past 4 years, but I don't think it's fair to compare direct sizes for very different use cases. Kinect has to track the entire body (multiple bodies, if I'm not mistaken) for as long as the game is active and from a considerably further distance than Face ID. That tells me that if Apple was going to offer something for the Apple TV it would be a device much larger, especially in width, so it could do the same.

Now, we may find out that Kinect doesn't use nearly as many dots for tracking, but that's a different consideration since it's not being used for security, but for fast body tracking, which we could compare to gamers adjusting the resolution in order to get better frame rates.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    cali said:
    Ofcourse Kinect is cancelled, they have evolved since then. Obviously AppleInsider wants to turn it into a sensational piece.  :D
    Evolved into FaceID. 
    Correction, it evolved into Windows Hello. FaceID is just a copy of it. 
  • Reply 24 of 39
    "Under Ballmer, everything was the future. He had some [sic] much BS it was incredible" I consider Ballmer to have been the commercial sector forerunner to current trends in the political sphere. The same perpetual hype, disregard for facts, and bombastic style. Eventually, people saw through the bull, and it will happen again
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 39
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    jbdragon said:
    lkrupp said:
    First the Windows phone and now Kinect.

The Kinect would have really been something BIG on the Xbox One. I have it!! As soon as Microsoft pulled it as a standard feature of the console and turned it into a optional accessory, that was the death of it right then!!! Optional accessory's on Consoles almost ALWAYS FAIL. I don't know of any that did good. The Kinect for the 360 came out later in the consoles like and did all right. Anything else? You then have the problem of people aren't going to buy a Kinect if the games don't support it. But the company's aren't going to support the kinect of people don't have it!!!!

I could go on long list of accessory's that failed. Some I can think off on the of my head is the SegaCD and Sega32x. The PS2 HDD. The N64 Memory expander.

I have the Xbox One which came with the Kinect. I have it hooked up. I have the original Kinect for the XBox 360 in the other room hooked up also. I'm surprised Microsoft kept it around this long. I think the PS4 VR stuff will also DIE at some point. It just doesn't have the games for it. Few games, people aren't going to spend the money for it. Again, optional accessory.

I was pissed when Microsoft pulled the Kinect as part of the Xbox. So what if it was $100 more then the PS4 back then. Did it help sell more Xbox One's? I don't think it did. The PS4 still sold in much larger numbers. Because MS pulled the Kinect from the system, they basically killed my Kinerct, turning it worthless because it never got the support it would have gotten otherwise.
    The problem was that Microsoft didn’t learn from history. Sony had the problem with the PS2. It came in 10 months late, and $100 more because of the Blu Ray player. Sales never took off.

ms wasn’t late, but it added. That $100 that buyers had shown they weren’t willing to pay. That, and with Microsoft’s requirements, which they also dropped, of requiring always on internet connection, and the restrictions in allowing game disks to run in other players, damages sales to the point that the ps4 almost outsells it by 2:1.

you aren’t thinking about this the way the game industry, and game buyers were thinking about it when the XBox One first came out. They were outraged that the Kinect, which almost no one used, was costing them $100 more. So a small number of people such as yourself were unhappy they pulled it. But if they hadn’t, the XBox One would be dead.

realistically, the Kinect was dead by the time the XBox One came out. Requiring it was Microsoft’s attempt to make people have it, and developers develop for it.

but when the Kinect first camecout, Microsoft bragged about how many sales they had for it in the first several weeks as being 8 million, as though that was a big deal. It wasnt. After that group bought them, almost no one else did, and that’s why there were lame games and development.

the rumor was that with the XBox One, for the first time, Microsoft was trying to sell a console without heavy subsidies. Maybe if they had, instead, continued those subsidies, and kept the price down, the Kinect would have had some chance.

but they didn’t, and it didn’t.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 39

It didn’t evolve. It was a failure. Period!
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 39
    danvm said:
    cali said:
    Evolved into FaceID. 
    Windows hello, wasn’t bad. But it’s not as sophisticated as Apple’s Face ID.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 39
    melgross said:
    danvm said:
    cali said:
    Evolved into FaceID. 
    MS says 1:100,000 although testing of twins had great results with one test I saw, although the system also failed to recognize at least one who had setup the biometric. I had also read that it's about 4" long, which makes it much larger and considerably less secure or sophisticated, as you mention, than Face ID. Still, Apple has had a couple extra years to refine it and can also afford to invest more money into R&D and use better components since we're talking about a tech that has magnitudes higher unit sales compared to the Surface.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 39
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    melgross said:
    danvm said:
    cali said:
    Evolved into FaceID. 

Proof?  I have been using windows hello on my pc for a while now - it works almost instantaneously almost every time.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    gumbi said:
    melgross said:
    danvm said:
    cali said:
    Evolved into FaceID. 

Proof?  I have been using windows hello on my pc for a while now - it works almost instantaneously almost every time.
    MS's own statements on Windows Hello show that it's not as sophisticated as what Apple has stated in their white paper.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 39
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    "Under Ballmer, everything was the future. He had some [sic] much BS it was incredible" I consider Ballmer to have been the commercial sector forerunner to current trends in the political sphere. The same perpetual hype, disregard for facts, and bombastic style. Eventually, people saw through the bull, and it will happen again
    danvm said:
    cali said:
    Evolved into FaceID. 
    So it devolved into Hello? Sure. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 39
    danvm said:
    cali said:
    Evolved into FaceID. 
    The technology in Windows Hello isn't based on PrimeSense. You can say the Kinect 1.0 evolved into Face ID, but you can't say Kinect 2.0 is based on PrimeSense or that Windows Hello evolved from PrimeSense's tech.
    edited October 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 39
    gumbi said:
    melgross said:
    danvm said:
    cali said:
    Evolved into FaceID. 

That’s not really proof. But what is almost all the time? According to ms, it’s 1 in 20, which isn’t great.

So, good, even pretty good, but not nearly as good as Apple’s. Notice that you need to re-authenticate if glasses are sometimes worn, well, let Microsoft tell us

”Most users will likely need to enroll once per device. Additional enrollments are needed for users that:
    • Occasionally wear certain types of glasses
    • Have had major changes to facial shape or texture
    • Move to environments with high ambient near IR light (for example, if you take your device outside in the sunshine”

Not the only thing. We know that it’s less than 2 seconds, but not by how much. Apple’s is supposed to be almost instantaneous.

here’s the link to Microsoft’s page on this;

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/windows-hello-face-authentication

and what’s with that 95% true positive and false positive all about. That’s just terrible! Only 1 in 20? Sheesh!

apple’s description, in contrast to Microsoft’s;

Once it knows you, it knows you.

The A11 Bionic chip uses machine learning to recognize changes in your appearance. Put on glasses. Wear a hat. Grow a beard. Your friends might not recognize you. But iPhone X will

Link to the page;

https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/#face-id

edited October 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 39
    melgross said:
    danvm said:
    cali said:
    Evolved into FaceID. 
    What's the point of being more sophisticated if it logs you into the device just like Windows Hello?  Does it need to do anything else?  (Asking for a friend.) ;)
  • Reply 35 of 39
    vonbrick said:
    melgross said:
    danvm said:
    cali said:
    Evolved into FaceID. 
    What's the point of being more sophisticated if it logs you into the device just like Windows Hello?  Does it need to do anything else?  (Asking for a friend.) ;)
    You are missing the entire point to security. So it logs you in, sometimes, and also sometimes logs other people in. You (and your imagined friend) think this is good?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 39
    I mean, Microsoft likes to hold funerals for Apple's products, but how come they never hold funerals for their own? I think KIN ONE and KIN TWO deserve a funeral wake from their employees.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    cali said:
    I told an iPhoney user how amazing it was that Apple shrunk the huge Kinect tech into a tiny centimeters-wide camera array over the time span of just 3 years! I added “I think the whole iPhone X is smaller than Kinect!”

His response?
    ”I’m not surprised. Technology shrinks over time.” (Even though Kinect got larger in Microsoft's hands)

"Not Impressed."

If Microsoft had designed the iPhone X, he would be impressed.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Microsoft dropping the ball with Kinect is a real shame, as my son and his friends still use our original Xbox 360 Kinect all of the time. When he has his friends over they have a blast playing Kung Fu High Impact, Kinect Party, Dance Central, Kinect Star Wars, and even the original Kinect Adventures. Believe me they get a real workout! I can only do those games for a few minutes before I’m worn out. But they will play them for hours.

That said, by the time I got around to buying an Xbox One for my son, they had already unbundled the Kinect. I didn’t want to spring the extra $150 for the Kinect ($50 more expensive than the 360 model as I recall) given that there were literally only a couple of games for the new Kinect and apparently no prospect of any more coming. The lack of backward compatibility with older 360 games helped kill the Kinect, too, in my opinion because I would have bought the new Kinect if I knew my son could have used it to play his old 360 Kinect games.

Ultimately I think Microsoft’s mistake was thinking that the technology was so compelling that they didn’t need to figure out a way to make it cheaper and smaller. Instead it became larger and more expensive with the Xbox One. Also the Kinect was just one of many fumbles Microsoft made with the Xbox One launch, so it is perhaps not surprising that it failed. And, indeed, what is surprising is that MS has managed to rectify most of its errors and keep the Xbox a viable platform, even if it is not the most successful right now.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 39 of 39
    danvm said:
    lol, Windows Hello will be Windows Goodbye long before you convince anyone FaceID is a copy of anything.