Apple offers Walmart "everyday low cost" in IT savings. IBM estimates a deployment of 100,...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    sy1492 said:
    ... the cut cost king of corporations.
    An amazingly apt alliteration!
  • Reply 22 of 38
    sy1492 said:
    ... the cut cost king of corporations.
    An amazingly apt alliteration!
    Although it could be argued that Amazon has eclipsed Walmart in most respects:
    https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/04/14/better-buy-amazoncom-inc-vs-wal-mart.aspx
  • Reply 23 of 38
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mike54 said:
    A reasonably priced headless mac enough performance will help these decisions. Waiting for updated mac mini.
    Jesus H. Christ! Moses in the reeds! You people and your headless Mac fetish. Give it a rest. That era is OVER for god’s sake.
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 24 of 38
    A little surprised they took this long to come around to the right conclusion since they are so concerned about the bottom dollar.
    Walmart used to be one of our customers. They are a behemoth of a company and it takes forever to get the tiniest of things done because of all the bureaucracy.
    welshdog
  • Reply 25 of 38
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    So after almost 30 years of Microsoft FUD, the wall is beginning to show some cracks.
    Amazing job they did poisoning the well.

Apple really should step up their Mac marketing and business app development.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 26 of 38
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    lkrupp said:
    So the enterprise is finally figuring out what TCO means?

Yah, it feels like 2001 all over again where we Mac users would argue the TCO factor to the deaf ears of PC ignorami (yah, I made up that word).

This was a ____long_____ time coming, and it's amazing to finally see it happening. Let's just hope that Apple continues to put a strong focus on the Mac to keep its crown.

Apple has neglected several usability and design aspects of macOS for far too long. Apps like Finder and the Mac App Store needs a LOT of love to bring them up to modern standards. Let's not even talk about the slowness of System Preferences...
    edited October 2017 Soli
  • Reply 27 of 38
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    Am I right? Score 5 out of 5 on the Watch with the guys on the podium.
    Soli
  • Reply 28 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    JanNL said:
    Am I right? Score 5 out of 5 on the Watch with the guys on the podium.
    Nice observation! I can't be certain with the clarity of the image but it sure looks like. Certainly looks like 5 smartwatches with rectangular screens.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    welshdog said:
    So after almost 30 years of Microsoft FUD, the wall is beginning to show some cracks.

I don't think MS lower TCO is FUD.  As Jamf/IBM, MS have published stories of customers that had a better TCO with Windows.  And the same happens with other enterprise vendors.  Enterprises are very complex, and needs are different.  There are times where MS solutions offer a better TCO, while in others Apple could do better.  Previously I posted a link about US DoD upgrading to Windows 10 in 4 million PCs. And there are other big customers, like Accenture, that went with Windows 10 for 400,000 users.  To think that Apple TCO is lower in every enterprise/business is non sense.  The same can be said of other platforms and solution. 
    singularityNinjaUnmatched
  • Reply 30 of 38
    So employees are able to pick which computer they want or new employees are going to be given Macs?
  • Reply 31 of 38
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    Now it looks like Walmart has no program in place to bring Mac to their users,

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/walmart-plans-to-add-employee-macs-to-reduce-costs/
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 32 of 38
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    First IBM, then Walmart.

(Business) climate change is upon us!
  • Reply 33 of 38
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    Still running and upgrading a 6 year old iMac. never was able to do that with a PC. After 7 years I think I will get the itch for a new one, but still probably able to donate or sell my mid 2011 for some pocket money.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    ????? We all know the up front cost is way more than a PC... Not to mention you ever pay attention to the Systems Walmart have or had? The crappy systems with minimal hardware. People always go cheap with PCs then complain later. The scenario has never changed. You pay more for it, you will get more out of it. Difference is with PCs if you spend the same price as a Mac you will get more on the inside as Macs are about aesthetics.

Now with Windows 10 which does have some issues that I've found but what I do you not gonna do on a Walmart owned Machine. Aside from that Windows 10 has proven to have some real stamina.

Support cost I don't argue but it's late in the game now to make such a switch. Times are changing. Apple though does need this type of deal as they are slipping. Their products have not been as great since Job. When the iPhone falls off the wayside they can move into this market and maybe branch off into miniOSs for vending machines....
  • Reply 35 of 38
    jdgaz said:
    Still running and upgrading a 6 year old iMac. never was able to do that with a PC. After 7 years I think I will get the itch for a new one, but still probably able to donate or sell my mid 2011 for some pocket money.
    What you buy? Some cheap ol PC from Dell or Acer? Last one I built is still viable today. Still better than most. Matter of fact I have a Dell Studio with an i7 920 that still runs like a champ. Play all games with it. This one is what a 2008 device?
  • Reply 36 of 38
    danvm said:
    welshdog said:

I don't think MS lower TCO is FUD.  As Jamf/IBM, MS have published stories of customers that had a better TCO with Windows.  And the same happens with other enterprise vendors.  Enterprises are very complex, and needs are different.  There are times where MS solutions offer a better TCO, while in others Apple could do better.  Previously I posted a link about US DoD upgrading to Windows 10 in 4 million PCs. And there are other big customers, like Accenture, that went with Windows 10 for 400,000 users.  To think that Apple TCO is lower in every enterprise/business is non sense.  The same can be said of other platforms and solution. 
    Totally agree. Somebody knows what they are talking about finally.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    A little surprised they took this long to come around to the right conclusion since they are so concerned about the bottom dollar.
    It’s difficult to teach some how to delay gratification. “Oh, this computer is $200 while this computer is $1,200; I will get the $200 one,” he says, and then has to get a new one a year after endless cuts to his productivity.