Apple calls iPhone X preorders 'off the charts' after rapid sellouts

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    siretman said:
    I was able to get my iPhone X to deliver on November 3rd although my wife’s iPhone X will arrive November 17-24. We are on the Apple upgrade program and I am puzzled by a credit charge of $89.05 from Apple Online orders. Is this some sort of a service charge for the Carrier ATT?

Most likely sales tax Mine was $74.75 which is 6.5% sales tax on $1149.99, I was able to order my at 2:51 and my wife’s at 2:53 AM and both to be delivered on November 3, 2017. Don’t know how I was allowed to order 10 minuets early, in AT&T’s app. but it sure made me happy as a pig in mud.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 42 of 61
    eacumm said:
    siretman said:
    I was able to get my iPhone X to deliver on November 3rd although my wife’s iPhone X will arrive November 17-24. We are on the Apple upgrade program and I am puzzled by a credit charge of $89.05 from Apple Online orders. Is this some sort of a service charge for the Carrier ATT?

Most likely sales tax Mine was $74.75 which is 6.5% sales tax on $1149.99, I was able to order my at 2:51 and my wife’s at 2:53 AM and both to be delivered on November 3, 2017. Don’t know how I was allowed to order 10 minuets early, in AT&T’s app. but it sure made me happy as a pig in mud.
    Six and a half percent sales tax? Must be nice! Come to Cali and bring a suitcase full of money to cover the taxes.
  • Reply 43 of 61
    lkrupp said:

If A Hot Dog vendor only has 20 Dodger Dogs at the World Series he is going to sell out quickly. 

Next we we will hear that supplies are constrained on the HomePod and Black (not Pro) iMac and how quickly they sold out.
    With $1,000 throwaway cell phones and glued shut $5,000 iMacs, I guess Apple will grow revenue by increasing the average selling price.

Show us the numbers, Phil.
    MMM Hot dogs!! Hey, help yourself. https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMACGEN/ If you want to spend your $1,000.00 US elsewhere, you could buy one of these. LMAO https://store.google.com/ca/config/pixel_2
    You mean the Pixel 2, the one with OLED burn in and high pitched clicking noises?

Amongst all the other problems I've heard. Don't forget the blurry screen. Apple always gets called out about their price but rarely do others that why I mentioned the Pixel. I forgot to add the /s at the end. You get what you pay for so I'll gladly stay with Apple.
    Anilu_777caliwatto_cobra80s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 44 of 61
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    If A Hot Dog vendor only has 20 Dodger Dogs at the World Series he is going to sell out quickly. 

Next we we will hear that supplies are constrained on the HomePod and Black (not Pro) iMac and how quickly they sold out.
    With $1,000 throwaway cell phones and glued shut $5,000 iMacs, I guess Apple will grow revenue by increasing the average selling price.

The iPhone X will blow the Pixel 2 away by at least one order of magnitude despite it being the best Android phone to not erupt in flames (yet with all its screen problems).
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 61
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    eacumm said:
    siretman said:

You didn't buy Apple Care+?  You will to add another $400 to your total (plus tax). 
  • Reply 46 of 61
    It seems that there was more stock of the X than Jet Black 7 Plus last year.  I pulled out my order confirmation from last year for my 128GB 7 Plusbin Jet Black, and with a 3:04 confirmation, I was 1-2 weeks delivery, with actual delivery being close ton2 weeks.  Same confirmation date today, and I’ll have my 64 GB silver X on launch day.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 61
    larryjw said:
    eacumm said:
    siretman said:

You didn't buy Apple Care+?  You will to add another $400 to your total (plus tax). 
    Don’t care about Apple Care +, I have had every iPhone made, that means I upgrade every 6 month’s so Apple Care + would de a wast of money, then again maybe not as much as buying every update of iPhone.
  • Reply 48 of 61
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

Apple said that demand was ‘off the charts’ which doesn’t have anything to do with how many they’re able to supply. 

So to correct your hot dog analogy: the vendor only has 20 hot dogs, but he’s working his knackers off trying to make a million more to satisfy demand
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 61
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    lkrupp said:

MMM Hot dogs!! Hey, help yourself. https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMACGEN/ If you want to spend your $1,000.00 US elsewhere, you could buy one of these. LMAO https://store.google.com/ca/config/pixel_2
    You mean the Pixel 2, the one with OLED burn in and high pitched clicking noises?

Amongst all the other problems I've heard. Don't forget the blurry screen. Apple always gets called out about their price but rarely do others that why I mentioned the Pixel. I forgot to add the /s at the end. You get what you pay for so I'll gladly stay with Apple.
    It’s sad really.

An android fan online said “android never has problems. Apple has a new problem every damn year!”

Do these guys know how magnified Apple’s little problems are in the media? Android iKnockoffs have way more problems but media outlets don’t care enough to put them on the front page. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 61
    This year is very different to previous launches and it’s possible that the choice of iPhone 8 and iPhone X could reduce sales. Just having that choice may put some customers off. Do I want to settle for second best and get an iPhone 8 which isn’t the best iPhone and looks more like an iPhone 7 than an iPhone X, or do I want to pay an eye watering amount for an iPhone X which has some amazing technology but *may* suffer from usability issues due to Face ID and the lack of a home button. I'm not saying it will - it’s just a big unknown until we get serious reviews and feedback from early adopters. 

There’s a well known marketing phenomenon - offer shoppers a choice of 10 free cheese samples and they’ll buy fewer than if you offer them just 2 or 3.  In the past buying a phone or a tablet was simple with just one choice - now the decision is more complex.

This combined with uncertainty over new features might not reduce overall sales but it could certainly delay them. 

I’m still unsure about the iPhone X. I don’t watch movies on my iPhone 6s. It’s mostly used for mail, messages, web browsing, podcasts, photos and a range of apps. The screen and camera are great and Touch ID is near perfect. Apple have set a high bar. Will Face ID really be better, easier, faster? Is the extra screen area worth losing the Home button? I don’t know yet and didn’t rush to place an order. 

Don’t get me wrong. I’m a huge Apple fan and my new Apple Watch series 3 is a huge leap up from my original Apple Watch. For me, Sire was a huge advance and well worth the upgrade from 4 to 4s. The 5s upgrade brought a Touch ID which was superb, and version 2 made it even better. I didn’t lose anything in those upgrades though. 

So, I’m looking forward to all the reviews and feedback from the crazy ones who are first in line...

watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 61
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,665member
    smaffei said:
    Well, if your chart could only hold 4 million (units), then a typical iPhone pre-order cycle of 16 million units would be "off the charts".
      Yes. This really isn't surprising. Pent up demand, constrained supply. If they want to give the launch some punch, just give some real numbers. 'Off the charts' for initial orders says nothing.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    avon b7 said:
    smaffei said:
    Well, if your chart could only hold 4 million (units), then a typical iPhone pre-order cycle of 16 million units would be "off the charts".
      Yes. This really isn't surprising. Pent up demand, constrained supply. If they want to give the launch some punch, just give some real numbers. 'Off the charts' for initial orders says nothing.
    You stated at one point that Apple would be in a super cycle with this product mix. Seems like you are unhappy that you are actually correct about that.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 61
    avon b7 said:
    smaffei said:
    The market -- which, I am guessing, is a tad smarter than you in processing this type of information and putting its money where its mouth is -- disagrees with you in spades, so move along. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 61
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    smaffei said:
    You stated at one point that Apple would be in a super cycle with this product mix. Seems like you are unhappy that you are actually correct about that.
    I still think there will be, but this 'off the charts' claim is worthless as there is nothing to define it and it is totally expected - initially - (which is the key word in the claim).

The definition is simple: just come out and 'as of today, we have xxxx reservations'. 
  • Reply 55 of 61
    avon b7 said:
    smaffei said:
    The market -- which, I am guessing, is a tad smarter than you in processing this type of information and putting its money where its mouth is -- disagrees with you in spades, so move along. 
    Markets are not smart. Some investors may be and even then can get it wrong. 
  • Reply 56 of 61
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    smaffei said:
    I still think there will be, but this 'off the charts' claim is worthless as there is nothing to define it and it is totally expected - initially - (which is the key word in the claim).

The definition is simple: just come out and 'as of today, we have xxxx reservations'. 
    Why, just to make you happy? Why should Apple provide any data to competitors?

Here's someone who has his own and has seen others data; would that work for you?

LukeCagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 61
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    smaffei said:
    Um... perhaps you need to re-read what I wrote and try to process it again, or I am unable help you with your comprehension skills: where did I write "markets are smart"?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 61

lol I like people who make these claims as if Apple would not have sold out on on pretty much any number of iPhones they made. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 61
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    smaffei said:

Why, just to make you happy? Why should Apple provide any data to competitors?

Here's someone who has his own and has seen others data; would that work for you?

To make me happy? No. Why?

What would competitors gain from the information? We are talking about initial sales.

The point is 'off the charts' really says nothing. And much less in the case of initial sales. It is worthless as it stands. 
  • Reply 60 of 61
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    smaffei said:
    Um... perhaps you need to re-read what I wrote and try to process it again, or I am unable help you with your comprehension skills: where did I write "markets are smart"?
    Yeah. I see. It was a whistlestop visit . The 'market'. The 'markets'. It can be read both ways. Same logic applies. The market is not smart either. It could even be argued that a really smart move by a potential purchaser would be to skip the first iPhone X release entirely and wait for the model to mature a little.