Apple's Cook & Facebook's Zuckerberg meet with Chinese President Xi

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple CEO Tim Cook and Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg both spoke with Chinese President Xi Jinping on Monday, meeting in Beijing while attending an annual summit of advisers to Tsinghua University's business school.




Both Cook and Zuckerberg are on the advisory board of the Tsinghua School of Economics and Management, Reuters noted. An Apple spokeswoman declined to comment on Cook's "schedule and/or meetings," but Zuckerberg publicly acknowledged his trip to Beijing in a Facebook post. It's unknown what the trio discussed.

Both CEOs have a strong incentive to ingratiate themselves to Xi, who recently consolidated more power at this year's Communist Party Congress. Facebook has been blocked in China since 2009, and Apple is not only on the verge of launching the iPhone X in the country but dealing with censorship at the App Store, disabled LTE on the Apple Watch, and Qualcomm lawsuits threatening to stop iPhone production.

Apple also recently established its first data center in the country in order to comply with local laws, and risks having that center raided or shut down if it offends the Communist leadership.

Earlier today, Canalys research suggested that the iPhone 8 has been doing reasonably well in China, reversing a long-standing decline in local iPhone sales.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 13
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 4,202member
    China needs to be booted out of the WTO.  Period.  China believes it's market influence gives it the ability to skirt WTO rules without penalty.  The world needs to band together and tell China that it will no longer tolerate market abuses and protectionism.
    caliJWSCwatto_cobraanantksundaram
  • Reply 2 of 13
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 200member
    …risks having that center raided or shut down if it offends the Communist leadership.
    And that's what you get when you cow-tow to a leadership that routinely violates the civil rights of it's populous. 

    Shame on you Apple. I hope you do get shutdown.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    "What is thy bidding, my Master?"


    edited October 2017 anantksundaram
  • Reply 4 of 13
    red oakred oak Posts: 613member
    One has a $60 billion/yr business in China.  The other has $0
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    calicali Posts: 3,495member
    red oak said:
    One has a $60 billion/yr business in China.  The other has $0
    And he’s tagging along.

    hmm.... I wonder why?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 143member
    sflocal said:
    The world needs to band together and tell China that it will no longer tolerate market abuses and protectionism.

    Wholeheartedly agree.

    And one would hope that others will band together to oppose certain narrow and myopic people and groups (cough, that Breitbart idiot, cough) from promoting self defeating and wealth destroying protectionist policies in the USA.

    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    JWSC said:
    sflocal said:
    The world needs to band together and tell China that it will no longer tolerate market abuses and protectionism.

    Wholeheartedly agree.

    And one would hope that others will band together to oppose certain narrow and myopic people and groups (cough, that Breitbart idiot, cough) from promoting self defeating and wealth destroying protectionist policies in the USA.

    Go ahead and list all of those 'self-defeating and wealth destroying protectionist policies' that have been implemented. Thanks. Because I'm seeing a stock market that is on fire recently.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 8 of 13
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 143member
    SpamSandwich said:
    Go ahead and list all of those 'self-defeating and wealth destroying protectionist policies' that have been implemented. Thanks. Because I'm seeing a stock market that is on fire recently.

    Please don’t twist my words.  I did not say any protectionist legislation has been implemented yet by this administration, but that it is being promoted under the gross misnomer of ‘America First.’

    Having said that this administration walked away from TPP, which was an absolute travesty of a lost opportunity as it would have bound China to western conventions of trade in all future trade negotiations.  Now any future Asia trade deal will be on China’s terms and not those of the West.  And in my state of Arizona the threat of withdrawal from NAFTA is scaring the bejesus out of a number of local businesses that are very intertwined with their southern neighbors.

    I hope to see Apple bring more of their manufacturing supply chain to the US over the next few years.  But it should be done organically and not through Government forced economic intervention.

    apple jockeyjony0
  • Reply 9 of 13
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 1,335member
    sflocal said:
    China needs to be booted out of the WTO.  Period.  China believes it's market influence gives it the ability to skirt WTO rules without penalty.  The world needs to band together and tell China that it will no longer tolerate market abuses and protectionism.
    Not going to happen.   Xi probably was telling them that China would pick the next U.S. President in 2020 not Russia.
    anantksundaramjony0
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Facebook's Zuckerberg has also been very active in China, eager to get his popular social network unblocked in the world's most populated nation, Please visit my tech Page: https://web.facebook.com/ShopAppleTech/
  • Reply 11 of 13
    JWSC said:
    sflocal said:
    The world needs to band together and tell China that it will no longer tolerate market abuses and protectionism.

    Wholeheartedly agree.

    And one would hope that others will band together to oppose certain narrow and myopic people and groups (cough, that Breitbart idiot, cough) from promoting self defeating and wealth destroying protectionist policies in the USA.

    Most of America has a negative outlook on Free Trade, which is currently why 75% of Americans have negative view on NAFTA.  That being said I am certainly a big supporter of free trade, and believe that free trade helps breaks down what divides nations, and helps us grow and prosper together.   Old Stock republicans have always supported or encouraged free trade,  Democrats have historically opposed free trade, so to blame this as Breitbart problem is delusional (just look at how the Clintons talked about border security, or China, or Japan prior to 2008) Most free trade agreements supported today by Liberals is because they want to instill far left vast overarching policy concerning environment regulation, labour regulation, gender rights, indigenous land claims, wage regulation etc. etc.  By doing this then can continue their Marxist push, while making it extremely difficult for any political party to back away and set their own agenda.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    k2kw said:
    sflocal said:
    China needs to be booted out of the WTO.  Period.  China believes it's market influence gives it the ability to skirt WTO rules without penalty.  The world needs to band together and tell China that it will no longer tolerate market abuses and protectionism.
    Not going to happen.   Xi probably was telling them that China would pick the next U.S. President in 2020 not Russia.
    Russia tried to, unfortunately the 145 million it gave to the Clinton foundation backfired.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    k2kw said:
    sflocal said:
    China needs to be booted out of the WTO.  Period.  China believes it's market influence gives it the ability to skirt WTO rules without penalty.  The world needs to band together and tell China that it will no longer tolerate market abuses and protectionism.
    Not going to happen.   Xi probably was telling them that China would pick the next U.S. President in 2020 not Russia.
    Russia tried to, unfortunately the 145 million it gave to the Clinton foundation backfired.
    Wow. 145 million? Cool. 

    Cite, please. 
Sign In or Register to comment.