Apple's iPhone X passes twin test in early hands-on with Face ID

Posted:
in iPhone
Helping to support Apple's accuracy claims, a video published on Tuesday shows the iPhone X's Face ID system reacting as intended, even when confronted with identical twins.

In the beginning of the video, posted by Business Insider, one of the twins tries on sunglasses, a hat, a scarf, and then all three, challenging Apple's assertions that Face ID can ignore those changes. The phone passes all four tests.

When confronted with both twins sans any accessories, the phone unlocks for one of them but not the other, despite there being little difference between the two people.

"I was pretty shocked that the iPhone X could really pick apart the details between me and my brother considering some of our own family members can't tell us apart," one of the twins comments. "So, yeah, it was a pleasant surprise knowing that Brian can't break into my iPhone X and I can't break into my brother's."

Face ID depends on the X's TrueDepth camera, which incldes a dot projector, an infrared sensor, and an infrared flood illuminator. Apple has also claimed that it can't be fooled by photos or masks, and will adapt not just to accessories but aging and facial hair.

The first iPhone X shipments are set to arrive on Friday. AppleInsider, however, got an early first look at the device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 79
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Now that is fucking impressive. 
    GG1anton zuykovwlymjbdragoncaliboxcatcher[Deleted User]radarthekatargonautpscooter63
  • Reply 2 of 79
    Anyone who thought this would have failed have no idea how deep and wide Apple goes in their testing harness scenarios.
    randominternetpersonGG1anton zuykovjbdragoncaliboxcatcherradarthekatlkruppargonautandrewj5790
  • Reply 3 of 79
    CNN did a test with two identical female twins and they were able to beat the Face ID security.

http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2017/10/31/iphone-x-first-impressions.cnnmoney
    edited October 2017 radarthekatAvieshekpaisleydiscodoozydozensaltyzip
  • Reply 4 of 79
    Too bad Orphan Black is done.  I'd love to see whats-her-name try to unlock an iPhone X in all her various guises.  I have no idea if the phone would pass that test.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 79
    CNN did a test with two identical female twins and they were able to beat the FaceID security.

http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2017/10/31/iphone-x-first-impressions.cnnmoney

They cheated. They enrolled the first twin and immediately tried the second twin.
    racerhomieradarthekatlkruppmacseekerpscooter63unphocusmagman1979indyfxdoozydozenlolliver
  • Reply 6 of 79
    I’ve seen some reviews where this can be beat with twins.

Requiring both Touch ID and Face ID (if technical hurdles could ever be overcome for Touch ID in glass) would likely make the iPhone even more secure than requiring just one biometric.
  • Reply 7 of 79
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    Wow!

Remember, Apple themselves said that it is more likely to be fooled by a close family member. If anyone had any doubts about how good it is - this video should convince them - hope it goes viral!
    caliradarthekatpaisleydiscowatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 79
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    CNN did a test with two identical female twins and they were able to beat the FaceID security.

They cheated. They enrolled the first twin and immediately tried the second twin.
    I'm curious, not challenging: how is this cheating?
    LukeCagemuthuk_vanalingamdoozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 79
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member

How do we know that CNN didn't play us/Apple on that test? But being able to differentiate between identical twins using face detection is quite remarkable. Samsung's face unlock being fooled by a picture -- it's got a loooooong way to go. And so do a lot of other Android phones.
    bb-15magman1979indyfxdoozydozenlolliverjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 79
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    slurpy said:
    I completely agree. And it's drop-dead simple to use, just like TouchID, yet the tech behind it is incredibly complex.
    radarthekatargonautmagman1979doozydozenlolliverjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 79
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    mrboba1 said:

I don’t know if it’s a cheat or not. I would like to have seen the twin it was set for open it first though. It’s possible if you don’t do that, it’s easier for a rain to unlock it. This learns how you look the more times you use it. So it would be interesting to see what would happen if the registered face was used a number of times first.
    radarthekatpscooter63unphocusdoozydozenlolliver
  • Reply 12 of 79
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I know Face ID isn't even officially out yet, but I want a Face ID Remote for my Apple TV so that just holding the remote means that apps, menus, Netflix user queues, music playlists, saved locations on videos, and other content switches to my user profile. Is that too much to ask? Probably, but who would've thought that we'd have this tech just a decade after the original iPhone launched?

slurpy said:
    Very impressive. Windows Hello, which uses RealSense technology from Intel and only ever stated a 1:100,000 in face recognition security (or 1/10th that of Face ID) faired very well with twin tests so I'll only be surprised if they don't do exceptionally well here. I think this tech is one where each increase in statistical accuracy increases its security exponentially.

edited October 2017 radarthekatdoozydozenlolliverjony0
  • Reply 13 of 79

I'm with @mrboba1, I don't see this as cheating. I'd even think that this would be the easiest way to trick the system since ML database is clear of any additional data it's learned about your face.
    rob53muthuk_vanalingamradarthekat
  • Reply 14 of 79
    robjn said:
    Wow!

Remember, Apple themselves said that it is more likely to be fooled by a close family member. If anyone had any doubts about how good it is - this video should convince them - hope it goes viral!
    It's impressive and I do believe Apple has under-promised and overdelivered, but I don't think we should take this test as definitive. I expect over the next month we'll get a much better landscape of its accuracy, including if nearly identical looking pets can unlock it (or even register with Face ID).
    muthuk_vanalingamradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 79
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    mrboba1 said:

Not sure it’s cheating, but it is definitely of no practical significance: babies don’t have phones and neither do their evil twins. 

My mistake! Not sure why I thought they were babies!

edited October 2017 muthuk_vanalingamdoozydozenlolliver
  • Reply 16 of 79
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member
    CNN did a test with two identical female twins and they were able to beat the Face ID security.

That's because they're both "10s".   ;-)
    MacProcali
  • Reply 17 of 79
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Just like with TouchID, FaceID is not going to work 100% of the time and anyone who expected this is just being unrealistic. I've had times when I had to try TouchID 2 or 3 times before it actually unlocked my phone. 

If its working as well as everyone is reporting then I'd say FaceID is a success. 
    pscooter63magman1979doozydozen
  • Reply 18 of 79
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    If I had an identical twin and if I didn’t trust him I’d not instigate its use in the first place. iPhone X still offers the traditional keypad system I assume?
    edited October 2017 bb-15lolliver
  • Reply 19 of 79
    mrboba1 said:

FaceID and TouchID learn as you use it. Apple even states the accuracy of FaceID improves the more you use it. A device is the least secure immediately after enrollment as it hasn’t been used enough times for Apple to do their “fine tuning”.

A proper test would be to have the first twin use the phone for awhile and perform multiple unlocks until it’s working flawlessly. THEN you try to fool it with a twin. 
    rob53caliradarthekatGG1macseekerpscooter63unphocusrandominternetpersonindyfxStrangeDays
  • Reply 20 of 79
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member

Apple did say TWINS could fool the system, but as twins get older then generally start to look different. My Mom and Aunt are twins and seeing them as kids, they looked the same. Now they don't and haven't in years. They just look like sisters. As long as I can remember back, they've never looked the same.

So when it comes to twins, it's how close to a match are they that the camera can see. Parents can in general tell their twins apart in a number of ways. Yet they can fool other people. So some twins it'll lock the other out, and in some cases, they're a close enough match where they can fool the system.

Seeing how well it works like this, you can understand how a picture would NEVER work. Where a MASK is never going to work. You're not going to get the persons face just exactly right on your own face. Really if someone is trying to get your face in that kind of detail, you have even worse problems.
    edited October 2017 LukeCageradarthekatGG1unphocusbb-15lolliverjony0