U.S. lines for iPhone X long, but Apple Stores claim to have 'enough' -- for now

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2017
Lines at the U.S. Apple Stores mirror those Thursday's queues at international venues, and AppleInsider has learned that stores typically have well over 300 units on hand to sell, and in some cases, nearly a thousand.

Twitter user and blogger "Dominicanabroad" posted a video of the second line at the World Trade Center Apple Store. A first line was inside the store at 7 a.m.

The second set of line at the WTC Apple Store for the iPhone X. The next line is inside. #iPhoneX #iphone #applestore pic.twitter.com/ut4Q2DlAYc

-- G. Isabelle (@dominicanabroad)

New York City's CoSo store had a profound line of people at 8:10 a.m., according to Casey Neistat. He also reports that most people he spoke with were buying two.

Apple store SoHo 8:10am. doors are open, hard to imagine they have enough for everyone - most people I talked to are each getting 2 devices pic.twitter.com/xbt7o16qSE

-- Casey Neistat (@CaseyNeistat)

Sara DiNatale, a reporter for the Tampa Bay Times, took photos outside her local Apple Store, with lines reaching well outside the store.

The Apple Store in Tampa has a few lines organized for today's iPhone X release. Line starts outside. @TB_Times pic.twitter.com/BdhmqBqBsZ

-- Sara DiNatale (@sara_dinatale)

The Willowbrook Mall in Wayne, N.J., also has a long queue, with the line extending past the Best Buy Mobile store down the hall from the venue.

Apple iPhone X launch line! Willowbrook Mall! Let's get you to switch and save w/ Sprint! @htownbombs @erinkorski pic.twitter.com/AZXGVIDdko

-- David Reesman (@Boost_Reesman)

Twitter user Raymond Wong posted video of a massive line outside an undisclosed location, with the first purchasers being processed inside a very busy store.

The line for iPhone X never ends!! pic.twitter.com/uSyqHh1HXB

-- Raymond Wong (@raywongy)

Apple also offered its own collection of images from the first iPhone X sales around the world, including London, Dubai, Singapore, Tokyo, and Sydney.

AppleInsider has queried local locations, and sources not authorized to speak for the company say that there are "hundreds" of iPhone X ready for purchase. All the stores we asked said that they had "enough" phones to slake the appetites for the device for the people currently in line -- but that it wouldn't last through the day, or more likely, to 10 a.m.

All of our sources at Apple Retail said that they have "far more" of the iPhone X for today's release then they had of the iPhone 7 Plus went it on sale in 2016.

Similar queries to corporate-owned carrier retail stores showed just a handful in total of the iPhone X in stock for sale on Friday morning.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    So much for the doom & gloom. All the armchair logistics experts and CEOs were wrong. 

They were wrong about the success of iPhone 8 and they were wrong about iPhone X supply. 
    StrangeDaysbrucemcflashfan207douglas baileyLukeCagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Wow, that's crazy! Samsung would kill to have this kind of attention.
    Which phone company hired posers to fake long lines few years back? Was it LG or Samsung?

stanhopewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 40
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Wow, that's crazy! Samsung would kill to have this kind of attention.
    Which phone company hired posers to fake long lines few years back? Was it LG or Samsung?

Yeah people can kick Apple all they want...what other product from any other company continues to form very long lines year after year? That was Samsung that did the fake lines. Only Samsung would do something like that.
    lkruppstanhopeflashfan207watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 40
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So I would love to see some investigative journalism here to find out what’s really going on. How could analysts and pundits be so wrong? Sure, they’re usually wrong about Apple but this is stupendously embarrassing for every prognosticator out there. Even 9to5Mac bought into the story. Recent articles all but confirmed that there were massive production issues with the iPhone X. Were the analysts played like a fiddle by Apple? Did the tech media actively try to scuttle the launch? Is Apple lying about demand? Apple’s guidance for Q1 is off the charts. If they’re lying about demand then they’re lying about their guidance and that would mean big trouble.

My personal opinion is that the tech media willingly bought into the ‘failure’ meme and were played like a fiddle by Apple.

What’s your opinion?
    2old4funpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 40
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    polymnia said:
    So much for the doom & gloom. All the armchair logistics experts and CEOs were wrong. 

They were wrong about the success of iPhone 8 and they were wrong about iPhone X supply. 

They are allways wrong because if they publish the facts there is no clickbait left.
    unphocuswatto_cobraJFC_PA
  • Reply 6 of 40
    lkrupp said:
    So I would love to see some investigative journalism here to find out what’s really going on. How could analysts and pundits be so wrong? Sure, they’re usually wrong about Apple but this is stupendously embarrassing for every prognosticator out there. Even 9to5Mac bought into the story. Recent articles all but confirmed that there were massive production issues with the iPhone X. Were the analysts played like a fiddle by Apple? Did the tech media actively try to scuttle the launch? Is Apple lying about demand? Apple’s guidance for Q1 is off the charts. If they’re lying about demand then they’re lying about their guidance and that would mean big trouble.

My personal opinion is that the tech media willingly bought into the ‘failure’ meme and were played like a fiddle by Apple.

What’s your opinion?
    Agreed, when Tim Cook was asked about the shortage he did not confirm or deny it, as if he wanted the uncertainty to continue.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 40
    So much stock, now why is the phone I stayed up till 3am to order coming after November 17th? 
    rainmakerAJ MAC25flashfan207
  • Reply 8 of 40
    lkrupp said:

What’s your opinion?
    I agree with you for the most part but, 'lying about their guidance' - not a chance.
    chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 40
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    So much stock, now why is the phone I stayed up till 3am to order coming after November 17th? 
    I have the same question. I could order today online and get the same delivery date that I'm seeing from my 10/27 3:15 am order. That seems very odd.
    aylk
  • Reply 10 of 40
    I'm wondering the same thing. Especially as reports say phones are being shipped earlier than promised, but mine still shows a ship date of Nov 17-24. And I stayed up all night just to have the Apple Store App be unavailable to me for 25 minutes.
    AJ MAC25flashfan207
  • Reply 11 of 40
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    There were lines like this in 2007 for the iPhone 1 yet it took Apple 74 days to sell just 1 million of them. But in Q1 Apple will be selling nearly 1 million iPhones per DAY. Interesting that there is such a disconnect between lines and sales. 
    edited November 2017 pscooter63retrogustowatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 40
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    It’s simple. There aren’t that many stores, especially stand alone stores outside of malls where lines works better than in a mall where sometimes it isn’t even allowed.  so even a thousand per store is much smaller than the millions of people who preordered at the exact same time. 
    stanhoperandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 40
    Folks buys more stuff at apple store than ordering, figure that out hehe
  • Reply 14 of 40
    The pundits and tech media got it right once again! Apple is totally doomed! It’s only sold out because Apple didn’t make enough iPhone X. 

Pundits and texh media just thrive on being wrong! 😂😂
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Mmm…

Troll silence. 

That’s not a good sign.

SELL! SELL! SELL!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 40
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    Wow! A lot of people line up to get the most expensive iPhone.  Apple loyalists don't care about how much they are spending for an Apple product ... that's amazing.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Funny that they have a line in Tampa. I was in Bradenton last week (doing a rec baseball tournament). During the preorders day and coming back from playing (so more than 16 hours after), I would have been able to get order an iPhone X and get it on release day, which back home it was 5-6 weeks.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    polymnia said:

And they will be wrong about what the proclaim tomorrow and the next day.  Their batting average is off the charts...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 40
    lkrupp said:

What’s your opinion?
    Agreed, when Tim Cook was asked about the shortage he did not confirm or deny it, as if he wanted the uncertainty to continue.
    That’s a pretty liberal editorialization of his non-statement. 

Apple has pretty much the same non-answer to any question about strategy, operations, plans or anything else. 

I’ll wouldn’t read anything into a non-answer like this. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Bebe said:
    Wow! A lot of people line up to get the most expensive iPhone.  Apple loyalists don't care about how much they are spending for an Apple product ... that's amazing.
    It is. Glad I own AAPL. 
    watto_cobra