iPhone X Super Retina HD gets A+ from DisplayMate: "best performing smartphone display we ...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    But DED.

samsung makes the display and you constantly love to bash Samsung.

what gives?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 31
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    steven n. said:
    Blunt said:
    Wow, visiting the DisplayMate site feels like your at least fifteen years back in time. Horrible site.
    I know. I hate it when a site loads almost instantly, I can simply read my content, there are no floating social bars following me around wanting me to share the site and pinch to zoom simply works. Don’t even get me started on the fact the website doesn’t continuously auto re-format every time I move around the page.

yea.  I so disliked web pages 15 years ago before web programmers figured out how to make them almost unusable to read content. 
    Doesn't excuse the fact that the site is objectively ugly as sin and seems to be stuck in a time warp from 20 years ago, in terms of typography, linespacing, menu, etc. So no, doesn't make it enjoyable to read. 
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 23 of 31
    supadav03 said:
    rattlhed said:
    Wow, this is quite shocking.  I've been using the X since Friday, and the one thing that bothers me the most is the blatant color shift that happens whenever I don't view the phone straight on.  Even if I turn the phone ever so slightly, the display turns a very cool bluish tint.  This is most noticeable when white is the primary color being displayed on the screen, such as a web site.  Pictures and video is less noticeable.  It's a bit annoying and not something I would expect in a $1200 product.  It's the one thing that may lead me to returning the phone at the end of the week and going back to my 7+. 

I will say though, that the screen does far exceed the 7+ when viewing at an angle and looking at brightness. When I compare the two, and hold at an angle, the X's screen is much brighter and is barely a difference than when looking straight on.  On the 7+, the screen gets very dim as the viewing angle increases.  So OLED definitely has that going for it. 
    I haven’t received my X yet, 2 more weeks, but I have read several reviews that corroborate your statement. I’ve heard that an angle as small as 15 degrees can start to produce the blue tint on the screen. I’ve never used any product with an OLED screen so i’ll have to wait until the phone is in my hand to make a final judgement but it doesn’t sound great. If this is a common issue with OLED, then why the clamoring from everyone for Apple to make the switch? What are the big benefits over LCD beyond black levels? 
    My original series Apple Watch has none of the color shifts being described here, as far as I can tell. Am I missing something?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 24 of 31
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    steven n. said:
    Blunt said:
    Wow, visiting the DisplayMate site feels like your at least fifteen years back in time. Horrible site.
    I know. I hate it when a site loads almost instantly, I can simply read my content, there are no floating social bars following me around wanting me to share the site and pinch to zoom simply works. Don’t even get me started on the fact the website doesn’t continuously auto re-format every time I move around the page.

yea.  I so disliked web pages 15 years ago before web programmers figured out how to make them almost unusable to read content. 

Your wrong, this site (DisplayMate) is not easy to read. Very bad typography. There are way to many characters per line, the spacing is bad and there are about a 1000 links. And you think thats good design? And of course i hate all this slow loading sites…
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 25 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:
    Never liked Displaymate regardless of their ratings. That said, this must be driving the haters nuts.

How can a Samsung made display perform better in an iPhone than a Samsung device? The answer is simple. iOS has color management and Apple calibrated their displays.
    Apple got to choose the display specs and level of accuracy for the physical device, which means Apple is willing to pay more for a better, more consistent product. I have a cleaning staff come into my home but for all I know there home is a mess. I wouldn't automatically assume that there home is as clean or more clean than mine. With Samsung, even with the same model they switch up specs quite dramatically between countries and regions. This is surely partly because sources components is tough, but they may also know that some markets are more concerned with this type of testing than others.
    Well, its simple, if Samsung's display unit can make much more money serving Apple than Samsung, well they'll give Apple their best stuff and most attention.
    By all regards, seems Apple is paying way way more than Samsung for those displays so the business unit would be crazy not to take advantage of this.
    Apple has already stated that these displays are not off the shelf Samsung displays, but have Apple’s technology inside. Apple has been doing a lot of OLED R&D over the years, and have submitted a number of patent applications. They’re not totally dependent on what Samsung does, even though Samsung builds them for Apple.
    Soli
  • Reply 26 of 31
    urahara said:
    Can someone please order from worst to the best these qualities:

"very good" in angle-related brightness changes;
    "outstanding" in handling contrast,
    "very good" in dealing with white point and primary color shifts and
    "excellent"  in color shifts for primary mixtures. 
    They’re different cases. It’s not a matter of worst to best. What’s more important to you, how it looks off center, or overall color? You need to answer that yourself.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    melgross said:
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:
    Never liked Displaymate regardless of their ratings. That said, this must be driving the haters nuts.

How can a Samsung made display perform better in an iPhone than a Samsung device? The answer is simple. iOS has color management and Apple calibrated their displays.
    Apple got to choose the display specs and level of accuracy for the physical device, which means Apple is willing to pay more for a better, more consistent product. I have a cleaning staff come into my home but for all I know there home is a mess. I wouldn't automatically assume that there home is as clean or more clean than mine. With Samsung, even with the same model they switch up specs quite dramatically between countries and regions. This is surely partly because sources components is tough, but they may also know that some markets are more concerned with this type of testing than others.
    Well, its simple, if Samsung's display unit can make much more money serving Apple than Samsung, well they'll give Apple their best stuff and most attention.
    By all regards, seems Apple is paying way way more than Samsung for those displays so the business unit would be crazy not to take advantage of this.
    Apple has already stated that these displays are not off the shelf Samsung displays, but have Apple’s technology inside. Apple has been doing a lot of OLED R&D over the years, and have submitted a number of patent applications. They’re not totally dependent on what Samsung does, even though Samsung builds them for Apple.
    They're still getting top shelf stuff from Samsung and maxing supply (even starving other makers) and if the business units are independent (as is often claimed at Samsung, like their chip units), putting Apple ahead of Samsung on the totem pole (or at least at par) is possible if Apple is a big enough client (which they are).
    They're involvement with the people at that business unit is probably even closer than at the Samsung fab.

• Reply 28 of 31
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I don't think Samsung is allowed to use Apple's OLED tech in their phones. If they did, Apple would sue them for sure. This is one example of "first is often not the best". 
  • Reply 29 of 31
    supadav03 said:
    rattlhed said:
    Wow, this is quite shocking.  I've been using the X since Friday, and the one thing that bothers me the most is the blatant color shift that happens whenever I don't view the phone straight on.  Even if I turn the phone ever so slightly, the display turns a very cool bluish tint.  This is most noticeable when white is the primary color being displayed on the screen, such as a web site.  Pictures and video is less noticeable.  It's a bit annoying and not something I would expect in a $1200 product.  It's the one thing that may lead me to returning the phone at the end of the week and going back to my 7+. 

I will say though, that the screen does far exceed the 7+ when viewing at an angle and looking at brightness. When I compare the two, and hold at an angle, the X's screen is much brighter and is barely a difference than when looking straight on.  On the 7+, the screen gets very dim as the viewing angle increases.  So OLED definitely has that going for it. 
    I haven’t received my X yet, 2 more weeks, but I have read several reviews that corroborate your statement. I’ve heard that an angle as small as 15 degrees can start to produce the blue tint on the screen. I’ve never used any product with an OLED screen so i’ll have to wait until the phone is in my hand to make a final judgement but it doesn’t sound great. If this is a common issue with OLED, then why the clamoring from everyone for Apple to make the switch? What are the big benefits over LCD beyond black levels? 
    My original series Apple Watch has none of the color shifts being described here, as far as I can tell. Am I missing something?
    My series 2 did, and so does my series 3. Didn’t have the original model.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Blunt said:
    steven n. said:
    Blunt said:

Your wrong, this site (DisplayMate) is not easy to read. Very bad typography. There are way to many characters per line, the spacing is bad and there are about a 1000 links. And you think thats good design? And of course i hate all this slow loading sites…
    For crying out loud! It’s a tech site, and no one who really reads it cares. They’re not trying to be cool, or cute. It’s all about he information. It’s easy to read.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 31 of 31

foggyhill said:
    melgross said:
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:

They're still getting top shelf stuff from Samsung and maxing supply (even starving other makers) and if the business units are independent (as is often claimed at Samsung, like their chip units), putting Apple ahead of Samsung on the totem pole (or at least at par) is possible if Apple is a big enough client (which they are).
    They're involvement with the people at that business unit is probably even closer than at the Samsung fab.

It very likely is. But as analyzed, Apple’s screen has a much higher density if OLEDs to surround. Thats why it’s so much brighter than the newest Samsung Display for its new Note 8. Almost 75% brighter. It’s equal to the best LCD models. So this is a display that’s custom made to Apple’s specs, using Apple’s own OLED patented advances.