Video: The fastest way to unlock your iPhone X with Face ID

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    Bluerider said:
    Can anyone please tell how does the FaceID work if the iPhone is fixed in a car holder not pointing directly at the driver?
    Of course it can't be pointed away from you, since it projects and scans dots. But it has a decent spread. Just tested the angle at which it works with the selfie camera.

I held the phone to the side and a decent length away from my face to simulate where the phone holder would be affixed. 

I then turned on the selfie camera and set the angle to cut off my face completely, only showing my ear, and it unlocked.

Afterwards, I changed the angle to completely cut my head off and it didn't unlock.

So you can place your current iPhone (if you have one) on your phone holder in the car, and turn on the selfie camera. If you can at least see your ear, you should be fine. 
    That’s good to know.  I have also held my iPhone below shoulder height and off to my right side but facing toward me.  I was looking straight ahead but could see my iPhone peripherally.  It successfully unlocked for me when I just moved my eyes to see the phone, I didn’t turn my head.
    Bluerider
  • Reply 22 of 22
    Bluerider said:
    Can anyone please tell how does the FaceID work if the iPhone is fixed in a car holder not pointing directly at the driver?
    Of course it can't be pointed away from you, since it projects and scans dots. But it has a decent spread. Just tested the angle at which it works with the selfie camera.

I held the phone to the side and a decent length away from my face to simulate where the phone holder would be affixed. 

I then turned on the selfie camera and set the angle to cut off my face completely, only showing my ear, and it unlocked.

Afterwards, I changed the angle to completely cut my head off and it didn't unlock.

So you can place your current iPhone (if you have one) on your phone holder in the car, and turn on the selfie camera. If you can at least see your ear, you should be fine. 
    Thanks for this important information!