iPhone X shipments from Apple improve to 2-3 weeks in US

Posted:
in iPhone
In a sign that production of the iPhone X is catching up with overwhelming demand, new orders for the iPhone X are now advertised to ship within two to three weeks, a one-week improvement from their previous estimate.

As of Wednesday afternoon, Apple's website now states that iPhone X orders in the U.S. arrive in less than a month. As of Tuesday, the estimated shipping time was slightly longer, at three to four weeks.

Apple immediately sold out of iPhone X inventory when the handset went on sale for an early November launch, but since then the company has been steadily improving shipping times, indicating that any manufacturing bottlenecks it faced before are now less an of an issue.

Despite improvements in shipping estimates, retail availability appears to remain sparse. AppleInsider conducted a quick check of major cities around the U.S. and could not find the 256-gigabyte space gray AT&T model currently in stock at any Apple retail locations.

It has been reported that the TrueDepth camera, which powers the Face ID biometric authentication on the device, is the primary bottleneck for production of the iPhone X. That, along with the OLED Super Retina HD display, are believed to be the main contributors to the device's premium cost, starting at $999 for 64 gigabytes.

Production bottlenecks combined with overwhelming demand have led supply chain insiders to suggest that Apple may not catch up with demand for the iPhone X until sometime in the first half of 2018. But with shipping times improving just a week and a half after the iPhone X launch, it's possible that Apple could catch up to demand more quickly than was expected.

Such improvements bode well not only for Apple and sales of the iPhone X, but also for future products. In particular, the company is rumored to bring Face ID to the iPad Pro in 2018.

Apparent iPhone X production issues are said to be the fault of the forward facing TrueDepth camera, which powers the Face ID biometric authentication system replacing Touch ID. The camera is said to be composed of two key parts dubbed "Romeo" and "Juliet," and "Romeo" parts are more difficult to manufacture, leading to an imbalance in supply.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    “Doooooooooooomed!”
    gregg thurmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    The camera is said to be composed of two key parts dubbed "Romeo" and "Juliet," and "Romeo" parts are more difficult to manufacture, leading to an imbalance in supply.
    Looks like we are heading for a happy ending!
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 24
    That seems fast. Wasn't there at least one iPhone in the last few years that had shipping times considerably longer than the X's peak of 5-6 weeks? Seems like I avoided an upgrade that year because it was 2-3 months before I could easily get my hands on one.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,120member
    The camera is said to be composed of two key parts dubbed "Romeo" and "Juliet," and "Romeo" parts are more difficult to manufacture, leading to an imbalance in supply.
    That just feels wrong though. I wanted a Tragedy and they're delivering a Comedy!
  • Reply 5 of 24
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    I need it in stock at an Apple Store so I can trade in my old phone and apply it to the price. Gift card after the fact does me know good.
    Also be joining the upgrade program this year.
    watto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 6 of 24
    I wonder when the unlocked carrier-free version will come out.
    wigby
  • Reply 7 of 24
    I just crack up with all these comments about production issues surrounding True Depth components.

NOBODY, but NOBODY, outside of Apple, knows how many iPhone Xs Apple has contracted to have manufactured, or will manufacture, for this or any other quarter.  The idiot Kuo sounds off with a production constraint meme, a meme you can set your annual calendar to, and the blogosphere can't let it go, even after Apple totally discredits the rumor mongers.

Apple locked in design, specifications and production contracts last November.  In order to get a contract vendors have to be certified by Apple as to their ability to manufacture to spec, and in QUANTITY.  This was done a year ago.

Further Apple guided December quarter revenue between $84 Billion and $87 Billion (YoY growth 10.52% MINIMUM).  Apple's guidance implies iPhone YoY unit sales growth of ~7.8% (adjusted for increase in ASP) to a record 84 Million units MINIMUM.

Where, oh where, does production constraints come into play when iPhone X will only be available for two of three months this quarter?

DEMAND, and nothing else, is driving delivery delays, just as it has always done since 2007.
    magman1979lkruppchiaRonnnieOwatto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 8 of 24
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    I just crack up with all these comments about production issues surrounding True Depth components.

NOBODY, but NOBODY, outside of Apple, knows how many iPhone Xs Apple has contracted to have manufactured, or will manufacture, for this or any other quarter.  The idiot Kuo sounds off with a production constraint meme, a meme you can set your annual calendar to, and the blogosphere can't let it go, even after Apple totally discredits the rumor mongers.

Apple locked in design, specifications and production contracts last November.  In order to get a contract vendors have to be certified by Apple as to their ability to manufacture to spec, and in QUANTITY.  This was done a year ago.

Further Apple guided December quarter revenue between $84 Billion and $87 Billion (YoY growth 10.52% MINIMUM).  Apple's guidance implies iPhone YoY unit sales growth of ~7.8% (adjusted for increase in ASP) to a record 84 Million units MINIMUM.

Where, oh where, does production constraints come into play when iPhone X will only be available for two of three months this quarter?

DEMAND, and nothing else, is driving delivery delays, just as it has always done since 2007.
    Since Apple doesn't manufacture these devices, I would wager that someone outside of Apple knows. I would also wager that Kuo has connections with these contractors which is what he bases estimates on. Of course this only represents one or two data points but that is more than enough for most rumors to spread.
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Just checked Apple Canada site, and on Canadian west coast, shipping times also have improved to 2-3 weeks on all X models, nice!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 24
    macseeker said:
    You can get it carrier unlocked if you pay full price, but you are probably taking about not having to choose a carrier when you order (and have it verified by the carrier).
    watto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 11 of 24
    “Well, this clearly indicates there is not enough demand. Apple may have to reissue Q1 guidance soon. Apple is doomed. ” quoted from one always doom Apple analyst. 😄😄😄
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 24
    I was originally told first or 2nd week of December when I placed my order at 5AM (Pacific) on Oct 27th....Now I have been told next Tuesday, 11-21st, my 256 GB Space Gray X will arrive! Looking forward to it as I do every year!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 24
    I think the rumours of limited supply came from Apple to encourage more people to just go for the iPhone 8 and create some marketing hype.

probably worked as planned
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Mine has been stuck in China and now Korea since November 10th. Grr.
    edited November 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 24
    macseeker said:
    You can get it carrier unlocked if you pay full price, but you are probably taking about not having to choose a carrier when you order (and have it verified by the carrier).
    You got it!  When I buy something, I want to own it outright.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 24
    jdb8167 said:
    Mine has been stuck in China and now Korea since November 10th. Grr.
    Mine was stuck in China from the 8th to 13th, but was magically delivered yesterday the 14th after going through Korea and Alaska.  Once it starts moving it goes fast!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Sorry need a rant in here.  Hong Kong Apple Online store suffers this same problem every year.  Scalpers buying all the iPhones to resell them in China for higher value, leaving actual users in the dust.  I remember back in late January 2015 is when I can finally buy an iPhone 6 Plus for my mum, 4 months after its release.  Now the iPhone X is having the same problem.  All other countries have constantly improved delivery dates but in Hong Kong you have absolutely no way to buy the iPhone X from Apple.  It's unavailable in the store, and the iReserve is rigged because scalpers use computer programs to automate the reserve process.  I find that really really frustrating.  I know this doesn't really concern you guys but I thought at least I want to be heard somewhere.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 24
    ljc94512 said:
    Sorry need a rant in here.  Hong Kong Apple Online store suffers this same problem every year.  Scalpers buying all the iPhones to resell them in China for higher value, leaving actual users in the dust.  I remember back in late January 2015 is when I can finally buy an iPhone 6 Plus for my mum, 4 months after its release.  Now the iPhone X is having the same problem.  All other countries have constantly improved delivery dates but in Hong Kong you have absolutely no way to buy the iPhone X from Apple.  It's unavailable in the store, and the iReserve is rigged because scalpers use computer programs to automate the reserve process.  I find that really really frustrating.  I know this doesn't really concern you guys but I thought at least I want to be heard somewhere.

Sorry to hear that. What are the delivery times like if you order now?
    edited November 2017 watto_cobraljc94512
  • Reply 19 of 24
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Finally found the best cases for the iPhone X: The Otterbox Commuter Series and the Spigen iPhone X Rugged Armor and Hybrid Armor cases. The cases allow for wireless charging and are fully protective, and they also allow the Apple logo to show through in the back of the case, so at least you can let some of its beauty and pedigree shine through.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 20 of 24
    ljc94512 said:

Sorry to hear that. What are the delivery times like if you order now?
    You can’t even order from Apple.  Therefore there are no such thing as delivery times.  I wish there has one.