Editorial: Thankful for iPhone X

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    Boo yah
  • Reply 62 of 70
    lkrupp said:
    Ah, a bunch of anti-DED first-time posters mysteriously starting to show up...

He is surely hitting some sore spots. 
    DED has the nack. He really brings ‘em out from under the bridge.
    So you admit it is trolling. :)
    singularitymuthuk_vanalingamdasanman69
  • Reply 63 of 70
    flydog said:
    Sad commentary on society when someone makes it a point to be thankful for a phone, rather than for our family, friends, or health. The world would certainly go on without iPhones. 

Fortunately, as multi-faceted human beings, we can be thankful for more than a few things at a time.  Were this a family health focused site, rather than an Apple focused one, your lament might have some merit.
  • Reply 64 of 70
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Not sure I agree that the iPhone made the world a better place however it certainly changed society. The telephone has been around before most living people can remember, the mobile phone has been with us for decades. The iPhone was our first mini computer with a telephone which could fit in our pockets. Texting and audio calls are the same existed previously however the iPhone's camera's front and back gave us video calls and a great way to take digital photos. Then biggest impact the iPhone has made is not one of technology but of social interpersonal change a constant distraction from our surroundings and the people in our lives. Look around when you are dining out and see how many people are looking at their phones instead of the faces of their dining companions. If you live in a city like New York as I do, just about everyone under 30 walks around with a mobile phone in their hand and their focus on that device. I often wonder who from this generation will be the observers of society, the writers, the artists, the satirist the philosophers? The iPhone is a tool and as with any tool it can be used to create, build and express an idea or be used to distract, dull or dehumanize. Technology is seldom a solution in itself unless used wisely it can do more harm than benefit to a society. The iPhone at this time is the best of it's kind but I am concerned that those imbuing it's technological advances may not be able to predict the down side of those technologies. I keep a wait and see stance on most things and the iPhone's facial recognition is exactly the kind of technology I am not sure was needed in the first place. Just because it can be achieved does it mean we really need it? 
    dasanman69
  • Reply 65 of 70
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    avon b7 said:
    "Google cranked out such turds as the HTC Nexus 7, the LG Nexus 5X, the Motorola Nexus 6, Huawei Nexus 6P, Pixel C and the LG Pixel 2 XL to critical acclaim just prior to everyone realizing that these products were steaming hot piles of excrement that nobody wanted to own."

Should we now refer to Apple's Foxconn iPhone X? 

It reads like the only reason to include those manufacturers was to associate them in the mind of the reader with the words 'turd' and 'stealing' hot piles of excrement'.

All of the named manufacturers are capable of producing outstanding quality phones. The only difference with regards to Apple is that they also produce phones at other end of the price spectrum where, logically, the quality isn't the same.

In the case of the Nexus lines, only Google knows what quality levels it signed off.

Avon - Don't you think it is better to "ignore" DED's articles, until he improves his writing skills? Only when each and everyone ignore DED's editorials, he will have "incentive" to improve, isn't it? All other AI writers write good quality articles. Just DED is an exception. To quote Winston Churchill, "A good speech should be like a woman's skirt: long enough to cover the subject and short enough to create interest" - Replace speech with "article", it would best illustrate where DED fails miserably. The bad news is - he does NOT have ANY incentive to improve right now.

As a general rule I actually don't read them, or perhaps it would be better to say don't finish them.

I have the habit of reading AI articles via the forums as the author is not revealed. That is to reduce any possible pre-judgement to a minimum and read the pieces without undue bias from my side.

With a run-of-the-mill DED article there's usually something that sets my alarm bells ringing in the first two paragraphs. In those cases I will check on the main page, and if my suspicions are confirmed, just not bother continuing.

This time was different as the piece seemed somewhat 'restrained' but the alarm bells went off all the same, just a little later than usual.

By that time the point that led to my comment was on my radar and IMO, rather twisted so I brought it up.

Of course I can't speak for the content of the rest as I simply haven't read it. 

It was clearly labelled as an editorial so I don't have any issues with it on that level. However, asking for something more balanced or less radically biased or in a different tone is probably beyond what his stance will allow so just not reading them (or stopping reading) is my response. I don't know how many feel the same way as I do. There seems to be some division but in general these pieces seem to be getting less comments in general.

singularity
  • Reply 66 of 70
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Lets not forget to thank Apple for its high prices with which it created a 200 billion (or is it 300 billion already) overseas money pile.
    We can also thank Apple for not paying taxes in Europe effectively so we (Europeans) have to pay even more.
  • Reply 67 of 70
    knowitall said:
    Lets not forget to thank Apple for its high prices with which it created a 200 billion (or is it 300 billion already) overseas money pile.
    We can also thank Apple for not paying taxes in Europe effectively so we (Europeans) have to pay even more.
    What an utterly uninformed, utterly nonsensical post.
    jony0
  • Reply 68 of 70
    That must be Steve Woz, he said he owned ipnx and pixl2??? Kidding me? Get out of here
  • Reply 69 of 70
    avon b7 said:

It was clearly labelled as an editorial so I don't have any issues with it on that level. However, asking for something more balanced or less radically biased or in a different tone is probably beyond what his stance will allow so just not reading them (or stopping reading) is my response.
    I guess it would happen if the incentives are aligned towards it - i.e. less clicks, next to no comments for almost all of his articles. The sole objective of DED's articles is "click-bait". The best response is - "No comments". Once the clicks/comments dry up, the quality will automatically improve. It is not that he is not capable, it is that incentives are loaded against it. And 1 post wonders do not help the cause either.
    avon b7singularity
  • Reply 70 of 70
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    knowitall said:
    What an utterly uninformed, utterly nonsensical post.
    Clearly the EU agrees with you.