Apple offers temporary workaround for iOS 11 bug autocorrecting 'it' to 'I.T'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I was having massive issues with my Late 2016 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and took it to the Genius Bar five times.  I finally got a replacement laptop and it works... but still has issues too!  That being said, I was lamenting to the genius about iOS 11 since my wife and I are developers of an iOS app.  He covered the logo on his shirt, looked around and simply said "yeah" while nodding his head.  It's terrible.  I'm hoping iOS 11.2 fixes all the crap.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 22 of 29
    fallenjt said:
    Most simple solution: fire the damn iOS software engineer who was in charge of it. One after another stupid autocorrect...I to A? And it to I.T ...?
    Not sure that it is a single IOS software engineer is at fault here.  Autocorrect is annoying when it replaces text that is 'correct' in my context (or country) with something that is 'stupid'.  I find that dealing with autocorrect's mistakes and eccentricities introduces so much kludgy stop/start on IOS devices that I just disable it.  Anyhow, lets get real here and acknowledge that autocorrect is trying to be all things to all people (and cultures) and that is a hiding to nothing.  I'm typing this reply on an iMac and started a new sentence with 'Autocorrect' and autocorrect tried to correct it to 'AUcorrect'  :# (yes I'm in Australia ... correct).
    edited November 2017 dysamoria
  • Reply 23 of 29
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I have noticed a tendency for auto correct to place an “a” where it does not belong.

Apple’s spell check needs some quality time with the developers for some fine tuning and polish.
    Apple's everything needs quality assurance testing time, fine tuning, and polish. Today's Apple is what 2007-2012's Apple would never have tolerated. Their products are going backwards in usability because they keep adding things too rapidly and doing little testing.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member

I'm wondering if they are using cross-user learning of spellings, and this is part of the problem. For example, if enough people auto-correct "it" to "I.T", it becomes a learned correction for the larger user base?
    Interesting idea. It would completely defeat the notion of the software adapting to the user, but I can still see today's Apple messing up that idea with a competing idea. Look at all the competing and clumsy nonsense in the GUI now...
  • Reply 25 of 29
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    kimberly said:
    fallenjt said:
    Most simple solution: fire the damn iOS software engineer who was in charge of it. One after another stupid autocorrect...I to A? And it to I.T ...?
    Not sure that it is a single IOS software engineer is at fault here.  Autocorrect is annoying when it replaces text that is 'correct' in my context (or country) with something that is 'stupid'.  I find that dealing with autocorrect's mistakes and eccentricities introduces so much kludgy stop/start on IOS devices that I just disable it.  Anyhow, lets get real here and acknowledge that autocorrect is trying to be all things to all people (and cultures) and that is a hiding to nothing.  I'm typing this reply on an iMac and started a new sentence with 'Autocorrect' and autocorrect tried to correct it to 'AUcorrect'  :# (yes I'm in Australia ... correct).

I don't tend to get that many problems with it. Are you using Australian English? (Easy way to check, does it say "Aeroplane Mode" and "Bin" instead of "Airplane Mode" and "Trash"?) Not saying that will fix your problems, but it's a lot more tolerant of the way I learned to spell things than the US English dictionary.

Of course, I also haven't seen either of the problems with autocorrect. I'd say it might be specific to the US dictionary, but I'm sure I've seen other people in Australia who have been affected.

• Reply 26 of 29
    Even the headline for this article is wrong:

Apple offers temporary workaround for iOS 11 bug autocorrecting 'it' to 'I.T'

Did autocorrect drop the period from after the T at the end? Or the fault of an inattentive AppleInsider editor?

• Reply 27 of 29
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    These autocorrection issues are an annoyance but are often unavoidable. The user experience folks at all UX intensive software houses are undoubtedly trying to make our lives a little easier but some of their well-intentioned attempts to enhance autocorrection features, such as fixing often-misspelled words, end up doing more harm than good. For example, I often find myself mistyping the word "the" as "teh" so I'll often setup a keyboard text replacement shortcut to automatically fix the misspelling. Only problem, I have a colleague whose name is "Teh" and having his name automatically replaced by "The" in correspondence was more than embarrassing. Good intentions but a bad result, at least in specific instances where the autocorrection blindly swung and missed. The most common remedy is to remove the autocorrection and live with the consequences of having "teh" scattered throughout other parts of the text. Doh! In this specific case the autocorrection could be a bit smarter by applying additional rules, but it will likely never be 100% perfect and any "fix" may still involve imperfect compromises such as a reduction in net value of the autocorrection functionality. No big deal and once understood the user simply has to be more vigilant and recognize when and where human intervention and oversight needs to be applied in conjunction with and to verify the autocorrect automation. 
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 28 of 29
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    dewme said:
    These autocorrection issues are an annoyance but are often unavoidable. The user experience folks at all UX intensive software houses are undoubtedly trying to make our lives a little easier but some of their well-intentioned attempts to enhance autocorrection features, such as fixing often-misspelled words, end up doing more harm than good. For example, I often find myself mistyping the word "the" as "teh" so I'll often setup a keyboard text replacement shortcut to automatically fix the misspelling. Only problem, I have a colleague whose name is "Teh" and having his name automatically replaced by "The" in correspondence was more than embarrassing. Good intentions but a bad result, at least in specific instances where the autocorrection blindly swung and missed. The most common remedy is to remove the autocorrection and live with the consequences of having "teh" scattered throughout other parts of the text. Doh! In this specific case the autocorrection could be a bit smarter by applying additional rules, but it will likely never be 100% perfect and any "fix" may still involve imperfect compromises such as a reduction in net value of the autocorrection functionality. No big deal and once understood the user simply has to be more vigilant and recognize when and where human intervention and oversight needs to be applied in conjunction with and to verify the autocorrect automation. 
    I think you can resolve this with methods I previously posted.

• Reply 29 of 29

Dang, my phone just changed "autocorrect" to "autocorrupt"! 

Issa joke.

Soli