Apple Pay expands with dozens of US banks & credit unions

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple has updated its roster of Apple Pay card issuers with close to 40 more U.S. institutions. In Hong Kong, meanwhile, the platform now has more card options for existing banks.

As usual at this stage the new U.S. issuers are regional banks and credit unions, such as the Houston Federal Credit Union, which has just one branch outside of the general Houston area. Most national institutions came on board within a year of Apple Pay's Oct. 2014 debut.

The full list of U.S. additions includes:
  • Advantage One Credit Union [now IL & MI]
  • Alliance Bank [now IN & MI]
  • Avadian Credit Union
  • Bank of the Sierra
  • Campco Federal Credit Union
  • CCB Community Bank
  • Cincinnati Interagency Federal Credit Union
  • Citizens Trust Bank
  • Community First Bank Heartland
  • Devon Bank
  • Farmers & Merchants of Long Beach
  • First Bankers Trust Company
  • First Coast Federal Credit Union
  • First Robinson Savings Bank
  • Franklin Bank & Trust Company
  • GCS Credit Union
  • Grand County Credit Union
  • Grant County Bank
  • Houston Federal Credit Union
  • Illini State Bank
  • Lincoln Park Community Credit Union
  • MECU of Baltimore
  • Millstream Area Credit Union
  • Mountain Valley Bank
  • MountainCrest Credit Union
  • Northern Skies Federal Credit Union
  • Nutmeg State Financial Institution
  • Penn East Federal Credit Union
  • Peoples Independent Bank
  • Preferred Bank
  • Premier Bank (IA)
  • Signature Bank of Arkansas
  • State Bank & Trust Co.
  • The Citizens Bank of Cochran
  • Traditions First Bank
  • United Southern Bank
  • Water and Power Community Credit Union
  • Weber State Credit Union
  • Western State Bank
Hong Kong shoppers with HSBC or Hang Seng Bank can now add UnionPay cards. UnionPay is one of the biggest card issuers in the world, though it has little presence outside of China.

Recently Apple Pay came to Australia's Bendigo Bank, and launched for the first time in Denmark, Finland, Sweden, and the United Arab Emirates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    And yet the list of retailers accepting Apple Pay is pretty small with some of the retail giants not accepting it at all.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    lkrupp said:
    And yet the list of retailers accepting Apple Pay is pretty small with some of the retail giants not accepting it at all.
    We have very different ideas what small means. At this point in the US, the only purchases I'm not able to use Apple Pay frequently is with online sales. I'd really like to get rid of these companies that keep a copy of my credit cards and/or bank routing and account numbers on their servers, but those will be surely be the last of the dominoes to fall. 

Right now, the only time I ever have to use a physical card with a local merchant is when it's on the fringe of merchants that are still using old setups like Square in the 3.5mm headphone jack at something like the farmer's market or with a few major corporations with old Windows-based registers with built-in card swipes. Of course, there are still some hold out like CVS, Walmart, Target, and Home Depot that many people use often, but the majority of retailers do accept Apple Pay (with many smaller ones not even knowing it) so I don't think it's fair to say that it's small. Perhaps a better measure would be to use typical scholastic grading scale where you don't even get a 'C' grade until you're about 70–75%.

In most other Western countries NFC is already at an 'A' grade with the banks being the hold up for Apple Pay (and all the other *Pay systems) from being ubiquitous.

Give it time. This is a massive change to how exchange currency that needs support from merchants, multinational financial services (e.g.: MasterCard and Visa), banks, and customers. This was always going to take many years to reach a tipping point to where we stop being surprised that a merchant takes *Pay to where we're surprised that a merchant doesn't take *Pay. iOS 11.2 will likely help further that as you'll be able to use a company you can trust over Square, PayPal, or Venmo (Google).

Will Apple Pay Cash also allow for merchants to have device-to-device payments? If so, that will be a huge boon over having those attachments on devices, assuming Apple allows 3rd-party apps for the various types of merchant orders that will be necessary. If not with 11.2, I assume that will come down the road.
    philboogiestompy
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mrrmrr Posts: 69member
    I have a SONY branded Capitol One card this still doesn’t support ApplePay. :-(
  • Reply 4 of 9
    mrr said:
    That seems to fall into the crack of being a merchant rewards card that can be used as a credit card and has Capital One and Visa doing transactions support. I think it's up to Sony to add support, which "feels" unlikely, to me, but I hope, for your sake, I'm wrong.

edited November 2017
  • Reply 5 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mrr said:
    And I have a GM branded Capitol One card that isn’t supported either. I’m pretty sure now Capitol One doesn’t let any of its branded cards access to Apple Pay. 
  • Reply 6 of 9
    lkrupp said:
    mrr said:
    And I have a GM branded Capitol One card that isn’t supported either. I’m pretty sure now Capitol One doesn’t let any of its branded cards access to Apple Pay. 
    They do say it's not available with their partner cards. That sucks.

• Reply 7 of 9
    Peer to Peer payment has the potential to save merchants $$ thousands in merchant fees from the likes of VISA/MasterCard, et al.

This is where I see individual merchant apps coming to the fore, with payments being made to a company iPhone or Apple Pay supported iDevice.  Apple could charge 1% of the total charge, and save merchants about 2.5% per transaction.

Imagine the revenue potential should Apple become a prime credit card services provider.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    In Canada, Apple Pay is common. 

It’s enormously convenient. I have my Visa, and my credit union ATM card in my iPhone 7’s Wallet/Apple Pay. 

I just added my ATM card, only the other day. A very simple process. 

I have no idea about the US, but my understanding is that you still “swipe” most of your cards. Swiping is largely obsolete, and has been for awhile in Canada. I believe the situation is similar in many Eurpean countries too. 

Anyway, FYI :smile: 
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I'm in Milwaukee.

My local supermarkets don't accept Apple Pay.

My local gas stations don't accept Apple Pay at the inside counter or the pump.

Wal-Mart, Sams Club, Target, Home Depot, Lowes and Mendards don't accept Apple pay. Don't know about Costco.

About 10-15% of the restaurant chains accept Apple Pay. Almost none of the neighborhood joints.

Very few the local Square powered mechants have upgraded to the Apple Pay/Square terminals.

As for Apple Cash... I'm. not willing to expose my cash checking accounts to outside withdrawls other than the usual utilities, ISP, health clubs etc and even then...

The few victories:  ACE, Meijers (midwest mega-grocery but no closer to me than 12 miles,) Kohl's Department Stores, a couple of $$$ specialty grocery stores including Whole Paycheck (er, Whole Foods,) Trader Joe's, Office Depot.  And Walgreen's.

So only about 10-15% of my very frequent trnsactions are Apple Pay capable.

Pretty bleak.