Apple pushes out iOS 11.2 with Apple Pay Cash, 7.5-watt wireless charging, date bug fix

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    dr. x said:
    Soli said:
    jmg8650 said:
    Im not seeing Apple Cash card in wallet ? Am i missing anything ???
    Yes, you are missing something. Enable 2 factor authentication.
    1) I have 2FA enabled, which I again just verified by signing into appleid.apple.com. That link even shows my Apple Pay Cash balance, but no virtual card in Wallet. I also have a passcode (and Touch ID) set on my iPhone, so that's not the issue.

[image]

2) If I go to Wallet & Apple Pay in Settings on my iPhone there is no option to turn on/off Apple Pay Cash to the black card. However, if I go to the Watch app, and then to Wallet & Apple Pay Cash those options exist. Except for the black card being available on my Watch all the other CC and debit cards I have stored are synced. Finally, despite that existing in the Wallet app for my Series 3 Watch after a screen or two of agreements during the setup it says you can't use it until you update watchOS, which doesn't have a non-beta update that supports Apple Pay Cash.

3) Since they were rolling out Apple Pay Cash in stages for those using the 11.2 beta, it's likely that Apple is still doing the same thing with the official release.
    I logged into my Apple ID account and don't see a line item for Apple Pay Cash Balance under Payment & Shipping, are you or were you one of the public beta testers?

I have 2FA enabled and updated to iOS 11.2 an hour ago.
    I did iOS 11 betas, but not for any of the point updates.
  • Reply 42 of 63
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    lkrupp said:
    Soli said:
    jmg8650 said:
    1) I have 2FA enabled, which I again just verified by signing into appleid.apple.com. That link even shows my Apple Pay Cash balance, but no virtual card in Wallet. I also have a passcode (and Touch ID) set on my iPhone, so that's not the issue.
    2) If I go to Wallet & Apple Pay in Settings on my iPhone there is no option to turn on/off Apple Pay Cash to the black card. However, if I go to the Watch app, and then to Wallet & Apple Pay Cash those options exist. Except for the black card being available on my Watch all the other CC and debit cards I have stored are synced. Finally, despite that existing in the Wallet app for my Series 3 Watch after a screen or two of agreements during the setup it says you can't use it until you update watchOS, which doesn't have a non-beta update that supports Apple Pay Cash.

3) Since they were rolling out Apple Pay Cash in stages to those using the 11.2 beta, not making it an available part of all 11.2 beta users, it's likely that Apple is still doing the same thing.
    Okay, according to Rene Ritchie the code is in the 11.2 release but the service won’t be made active until next week.
    I just got off the phone with Apple Support, confirmed that the service is not available yet.
    Does anyone know when the service will be available? I've chatted with Apple twice and they don't know, so I hope someone here might have an ETA.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 63
    dr. x said:
    lkrupp said:
    Soli said:
    jmg8650 said:

[image]

3) Since they were rolling out Apple Pay Cash in stages to those using the 11.2 beta, not making it an available part of all 11.2 beta users, it's likely that Apple is still doing the same thing.
    Okay, according to Rene Ritchie the code is in the 11.2 release but the service won’t be made active until next week.
    I just got off the phone with Apple Support, confirmed that the service is not available yet.
    Does anyone know when the service will be available? I've chatted with Apple twice and they don't know, so I hope someone here might have an ETA.
    @lkrupp stated that Rene Ritchie stated "the service won’t be made active until next week." That seems like a viable timeline, but we still see the rollout happen in waves, even in Ritchie's sources are correct.

You noted that you don't have the same "Apple Pay Cash" info on your appleid.apple.com page, and I haven't seen anyone else state that it's showing up in Wallet in the Watch app, so it looks like my rollout may have begun. If I get it before they open the doors for everyone else I'll try to remember to post it to this thread, which may help establish some sort of timeframe.
    philboogiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 63
    @philboogie, if you go to Settings » Wallet & Apple Pay on your iDevice do see an option for Add Credit or Debit Card under the one card it has on file for you?
  • Reply 45 of 63
    ilananbuilananbu Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    just got a off chat with Apple support, they expect the back-end services for apple pay cash to be up and running in about week's time
    philboogiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 63
    ilananbu said:
    just got a off chat with Apple support, they expect the back-end services for apple pay cash to be up and running in about week's time
    Great, thanks so much for the solid information. I chatted with Apple twice, two chats going on at the same time and they, didn't have a date either. One agent said a few weeks but he wasn't sure.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 63
    Soli said:
    dr. x said:
    lkrupp said:
    Soli said:
    jmg8650 said:

[image]

@lkrupp stated that Rene Ritchie stated "the service won’t be made active until next week." That seems like a viable timeline, but we still see the rollout happen in waves, even in Ritchie's sources are correct.

You noted that you don't have the same "Apple Pay Cash" info on your appleid.apple.com page, and I haven't seen anyone else state that it's showing up in Wallet in the Watch app, so it looks like my rollout may have begun. If I get it before they open the doors for everyone else I'll try to remember to post it to this thread, which may help establish some sort of timeframe.
    Great, thanks. Please keep us updated when you get it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 63
    ksec said:
    iOS 11 and 11.1 were definitely slower on my iPhone 6s.  11.1 improved slightly, but was still slower then iOS 10.x

11.2, however no longer lags. It feel smooth again, whether it is faster or the same as iOS 10.x, i cant remember. But at least i am satisfy with the performance now.

As a matter of fact, ALL apps, not just iOS, feels snappier or back to what it was in iOS 10.x.

As with most iOS release Apple has decided to disable some optimization for older iDevices until later release, a practice i cant quite understand.
    I still have a 6 Plus for the moment (my X just shipped) and i have to say that 11.2 is the first version of 11 that i feel is genuinely usable.  The old versions from 11 to 11.1.2 were extremely laggy.  Apps would just crash for no reason, especially Apple Maps during guidance if you left the app and but it in the background.  And there was a maddening bug playing audio through the Lightning port in situations like Apple CarPlay.

Part of this I think is likely the lack of memory in this device (and the previous 5s).  1 GB of memory is stretching it these days and my wife's iPhone 7 performs much better.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 63
    jmg8650 said:
    I just spoke with applecare.  If you were not part of the beta, apple pay cash is still not available even with the new update.  The person on the phone is saying they are getting flooded with calls about apple pay cash because the announcement was misleading. 
    Rene Ritchie at iMore says it'll follow in about a week. This is the week that Apple seemingly couldn't do anything right.
    dr. x
  • Reply 50 of 63
    jmg8650 said:
    I just spoke with applecare.  If you were not part of the beta, apple pay cash is still not available even with the new update.  The person on the phone is saying they are getting flooded with calls about apple pay cash because the announcement was misleading. 
    Rene Ritchie at iMore says it'll follow in about a week. This is the week that Apple seemingly couldn't do anything right.
    It seems like this was always the plan but the bug pushed Apple to release early. Making sure the servers that will handle money transactions are ok to go is what smart mature companies do. Even if Apple were to delay Apple cash after next week that’s still not something to lose ones mind about. No one wants money they send to a friend not to get there. What Apple does do right is make sure critical things work correctly. 
    edited December 2017 dr. xpotatoleeksoupwatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 63
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,078member
    11.2 installed on both a iPhone 7 and 5s. No problems, even if it did take a while.

It looks like the inability to set up Apple Pay Cash is a known current issue. I don't anticipate using it much, but you never know. I'm still a little unclear on who pays the big. Apparently use of a credit card incurs a 3% fee, presumably paid by the sender. It also seems there is a fee-less option for a debit card, and interestingly, I don't have one of those. I wonder if there will be an option to set up by using back ID (routing/account info.) I'd also be kinda curious if a pre-paid debit card or similar (apple pay cash gift cards in stores?) would be available for no fee. 

I don't anticipate using this much but it will be interesting to see how it evolves.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 63
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Soli said:
    @philboogie, if you go to Settings » Wallet & Apple Pay on your iDevice do see an option for Add Credit or Debit Card under the one card it has on file for you?
    Strangely enough I don't see: /Settings/Wallet om my iPhone (11.2) 15C114. If I use the search function it displays "Face ID & Wallet" and going into Face ID there isn't a section for Wallet. (it is available on my SE with 11.1.2) I did 'enable' Wallet in /Settings/Accounts & Passwords/iCloud/ but assume this is merely for syncing airline tickets and such, via iCloud.

I did see 2FA mentioned, but according to Apple docs that's not a requirement...
  • Reply 53 of 63
    Soli said:
    jmg8650 said:
    Neither am I. And I did look at the instructions:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204506

But when viewing that video, I don't have that Plus sign in Wallet, at the top right corner, so can't 'add a card' (which I don't want to do as I already have a Credit Card added to Wallet). Yet the 11.2 update for me here in The Netherlands clearly stated that Apple Pay Cash was added with this release.
    Pull down and I think the + will show up for adding a regular card. 
    Not seeing that. Contrary to Apple's documentation:

I'm going to enable 2FA and this must be the culprit.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 63
    Soli said:
    jmg8650 said:
    Neither am I. And I did look at the instructions:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204506

But when viewing that video, I don't have that Plus sign in Wallet, at the top right corner, so can't 'add a card' (which I don't want to do as I already have a Credit Card added to Wallet). Yet the 11.2 update for me here in The Netherlands clearly stated that Apple Pay Cash was added with this release.
    Pull down and I think the + will show up for adding a regular card. 
    Not seeing that. Contrary to Apple's documentation:

[images]

I'm going to enable 2FA and this must be the culprit.

Could this be an issue of Apple Pay not yet being supported in your country?

edit: Change region?

edited December 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 63
    Soli said:

Changing the Region works *but* my bank / card issuer isn't listed. So no go, also not after enabling 2FA. Guess I simply need to wait for Apple adding my Dutch bank to the list, after they added my country. May need to switch banks, which is a non-issue for me.

• Reply 56 of 63
    Soli said:

Changing the Region works *but* my bank / card issuer isn't listed. So no go, also not after enabling 2FA. Guess I simply need to wait for Apple adding my Dutch bank to the list, after they added my country. May need to switch banks, which is a non-issue for me.

[images]  
    With any luck this will happen.

• Reply 57 of 63
    Soli said:
    Did see that the other day. Still, thanks for posting that link!
    Soli
  • Reply 58 of 63
    I sentence this AI author to five years Windows Phone usage for flagrant use of FUD and melodrama.
    edited December 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 63
    I updated to iOS 11.2 before December 2 and my iPhone X crashed today, Dec. 4. It will power up for about 30 seconds while plugged in but with the date of December 31, 2017. Other than that can't re-start. Anyone having this issue after the iOS 11.2 update?
  • Reply 60 of 63
    Uahhh... The new horizontal line on the top right on the lock screen that shall indicate where the control center is, is one of the worst design flaws in the past few years for me. I hope it will disappear once even the dumbest knows the location of control center. Sometimes my impression is that there is a lack of consistency in the ui design which are aesthetically irritating. I would expect more consistency and quality control from a design perspective. 
    edited December 2017