Tidal music streaming comes to Apple's CarPlay

Posted:
in iPhone
Tidal -- the on-demand music service co-owned by artists like Jay-Z -- is now available to stream on vehicles equipped with Apple CarPlay.




The heart of Tidal's CarPlay interface is My Collection, where listeners have access to favorited albums, songs and playlists, The Verge noted. A modified Explore feature nevertheless makes it possible to track down more music, as well as podcasts and the most popular media on the service.

There are already several on-demand music services on CarPlay, among them Spotify, Pandora and of course Apple Music.

Tidal has tried to set itself apart through exclusives, paying higher royalties to artists, and offering a more expensive "HiFi" tier with lossless audio. People signing up to either Premium or HiFi can get a discount if they prepay for six months.

The service has nevertheless struggled to compete against Apple Music and Spotify, the former having the advantage of platform integration, and the latter a long headstart that has made it the world's most popular on-demand option.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 7
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 1,696member
    From the lack of comments so far, ZERO, does anyone actually care?
    peterhartZooMigo
  • Reply 2 of 7
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 4,211member
    I know it was keeping me awake every night... /s
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 3,497member
    Lots of posts here now get zero comments. 

  • Reply 4 of 7
    I'm very happy services like Tidal exist. But I'm cheap and am content listening to Spotify, Pandora, BandCamp, etc. for free with the commercials. If I want the hi-res, lossless version of something, I'll just buy the album. Most of my listening is done at my desk at work, where Apple EarPods are good enough.

    OTOH, I pay way too much for SiriusXM whose sound quality is garbage. But that is a concession to the wife who likes the convenience.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    mike1mike1 Posts: 1,612member
    jbdragon said:
    From the lack of comments so far, ZERO, does anyone actually care?
    Yes. There are at least half a dozen people who will appreciate this.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 4,211member
    jasenj1 said:
    I'm very happy services like Tidal exist. But I'm cheap and am content listening to Spotify, Pandora, BandCamp, etc. for free with the commercials. If I want the hi-res, lossless version of something, I'll just buy the album. Most of my listening is done at my desk at work, where Apple EarPods are good enough.

    OTOH, I pay way too much for SiriusXM whose sound quality is garbage. But that is a concession to the wife who likes the convenience.
    Why are you paying so much for Sirius? I only paid $25 for 5 months (so $5/mo). 
  • Reply 7 of 7
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 898member
    macxpress said:
    Why are you paying so much for Sirius? I only paid $25 for 5 months (so $5/mo). 
    We pay $11/month for a service we can only listen to in the car (you can pay extra for internet streaming) and whose quality is so bad, I think it's too much. But it's less than the up-charge to unlimited data on the phones, and the wife likes it, so we keep it.

    - Jasen.
    edited December 2017
Sign In or Register to comment.