Apple supplier Finisar to scale VCSEL production, suggests Face ID coming to all iPhones i...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    avon b7 said:
    I love face ID , you can use it even in the dark which is very usefull , the touch ID couldn't be used if you had your finger dirty . i would like to get an app like http://xyphersoftware.com/ do . Will be very usefull.
    TouchId REALLY sucks if you're wearing gloves.
    Face ID really sucks when wearing a full face crash helmet. It is far quicker and easier to take one glove off than it is to take the helmet off.
    My brother has one and hates it so much that he sold the 'X' and bought an '8'.

Swings and Roundabouts perhaps?

Personally I prefer TouchID but each to their own.
    It looks like I'll be on the lookout for a used iPhone 8 next fall.
    That's exactly as I see it too. Swings and roundabouts. As of today I still prefer touch ID but if the X had something truly compelling for me, FaceID wouldn't be a massive deal breaker.

I would like multi face support and the ability to lock down specific apps to specific users.
    Be honest; in your case, there isn't anything compelling that doesn't have Huawei printed or engraved on it.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 37
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    rotateleftbyte said:
    Face ID really sucks when wearing a full face crash helmet. It is far quicker and easier to take one glove off than it is to take the helmet off.
    I don't ride, but it might be easier/safer/faster to enter the passcode than to remove and replace a glove (wearing touchscreen gloves).

Initial Face ID training involves 2 scans of the face. Perhaps someone with a full-face helmet would like to try scanning their face on the first pass and wearing the helmet for the second pass.  If the X doesn't balk at the 2 appearances being so different, then see if Face ID unlocks both ways.  Further training might be needed to get good enough for real-world use (training which happens automatically every time the passcode is entered by the owner).

edited December 2017
  • Reply 23 of 37
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    I love face ID , you can use it even in the dark which is very usefull , the touch ID couldn't be used if you had your finger dirty . i would like to get an app like http://xyphersoftware.com/ do . Will be very usefull.

That's exactly as I see it too. Swings and roundabouts. As of today I still prefer touch ID but if the X had something truly compelling for me, FaceID wouldn't be a massive deal breaker.

I would like multi face support and the ability to lock down specific apps to specific users.
    Be honest; in your case, there isn't anything compelling that doesn't have Huawei printed or engraved on it.
    Right now, there is nothing compelling on any phone IMO.

That's why I have yet to upgrade my current phone. When I do, it will probably be a Huawei phone but only because I will be getting a lot for half the price of Apple's newest phones and without the restrictions of iOS.

Just the option of having more than one user account and duplicate WhatsApp etc, swing things Huawei's way. There are many more reasons of course.

It depends on what bakes your biscuit. If you don't feel cramped by iOS, then great. My wife is happy with her iPhone but has complained a lot recently for not being able to do 'simple' things.

Still love my iPad Mini 2, though.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    lkrupp said:

And Face ID REALLY sucks if you’re wearing a ski mask.  o:)
    I only wear one of those when I'm robbing banks -- and I generally don't use my phone too much then.  So, no problem for me!
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 25 of 37
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    That’s a very small edge case. How often is one wearing a crash helmet and unable to remove it nor able to use Siri to initiate a call?

Next people will complain it doesn’t work while underwater...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 37

Bacillus3 said:
    FaceID is great technology solving a problem that doesn't exist. Animoebi (or: -oji) tries to draw attention from that, but even Craig has ceased using it now. So it remains questionable if more appropriate (or either killer-) apps for it will appear. Otherwise, it may very well become the ToolBar of 2017
    Nonsense. Teach yourself about contextual computing. Ex: phone shows me my text even while locked, but if someone else picks it up they see a generic notification only. Safari automatically loads my website credentials if it sees that it’s me. Etc..
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 37
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

I still can’t believe they made a fast food themed, KFC phone. 

...innovation!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanwhitwam/2017/07/12/huawei-announces-hilarious-special-edition-kfc-phone-in-china/
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 37
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    Rayz2016 said:

jdb8167 said:
    I love everything about the iPhone X except FaceId. It isn’t a deal breaker but I don’t love it. The problem is I’m very near sighted. When I use the iPhone X without corrective lenses, I have to hold the phone too close to my face for FaceId to work. It can be frustrating. It always works on the second attempt when I hold the iPhone further away from my face but needing a second attempt is added friction. 

I think this is subtle humour, yes?

Nope. It is a real actual problem especially in the morning and at night in bed.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    jdb8167 said:
    I love everything about the iPhone X except FaceId. It isn’t a deal breaker but I don’t love it. The problem is I’m very near sighted. When I use the iPhone X without corrective lenses, I have to hold the phone too close to my face for FaceId to work. It can be frustrating. It always works on the second attempt when I hold the iPhone further away from my face but needing a second attempt is added friction.
    Have you tried training Face ID with the phone close to your face on one pass and far from your face on the second pass?
  • Reply 30 of 37
    jdb8167 said:
    Rayz2016 said:

jdb8167 said:

I think this is subtle humour, yes?

Nope. It is a real actual problem especially in the morning and at night in bed.
    Slightly off topic, but while in bed, does the X override screen rotation if you are holding the phone while reading in a horizontal position?
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Bacillus3 said:
    FaceID is great technology solving a problem that doesn't exist. Animoebi (or: -oji) tries to draw attention from that, but even Craig has ceased using it now. So it remains questionable if more appropriate (or either killer-) apps for it will appear. Otherwise, it may very well become the ToolBar of 2017
    It’s clear you have never used FaceID. It is superior to TouchID in almost every scenarios.  For example, TouchID needs you to touch Home button while FaceID doesn’t need you to touch anything. Apps that used TouchID when changes to FaceID the process will be much simpler. You just have to open the app while before you have to open the app then touch Home button to identify yourselves. 

The only thing I found inferior to TouchID is when you buy apps. The double clicking Side button to initiate FaceID is just awkward. I hope Apple will put soft button for this task in the download sheet itself instead. 
  • Reply 32 of 37
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    That’s a very small edge case. How often is one wearing a crash helmet and unable to remove it nor able to use Siri to initiate a call?

Why would anyone initiate a call while wearing their helmet?

• Reply 33 of 37
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

avon b7 said:
    Slightly off topic, but while in bed, does the X override screen rotation if you are holding the phone while reading in a horizontal position?
    Nope, that doesn't work. Neither 180º.
  • Reply 34 of 37

avon b7 said:
    Nope, that doesn't work. Neither 180º.
    Thanks. Maybe it'll come in an update.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    cpsro said:
    rotateleftbyte said:
    I don't ride, but it might be easier/safer/faster to enter the passcode than to remove and replace a glove (wearing touchscreen gloves).

Initial Face ID training involves 2 scans of the face. Perhaps someone with a full-face helmet would like to try scanning their face on the first pass and wearing the helmet for the second pass.  If the X doesn't balk at the 2 appearances being so different, then see if Face ID unlocks both ways.  Further training might be needed to get good enough for real-world use (training which happens automatically every time the passcode is entered by the owner).

Right.  One shot with no helmet, one with helmet and face shield up. Problem solved.  I wear really big glasses and initially, whether I trained it with or without glasses, it didn’t recognize the other.  I re-trained it with one of each.  Now both work well.  On most helmets, face shield is a simple flip, even with gloves.  Easier than taking one glove off.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Rayz2016 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Sooo … they’re not going to put TouchID on the back of the phone then. 
    Based on the popularity of the iPhone 8 I don’t think Apple gives a shit what the nerd class in forums think about Face ID or the Notch. We keep hearing from that cadre how they will ‘take a pass’ or ‘not for me’ or ‘I’ll wait until (insert favorite nerd desire). Then the sales and profit numbers are reported and they look strangely out of touch.
    Then I think we can say that Apple’s core market is people who can adapt. 
    No, Apple's core market is people who spend money.

Everyone adapts in one way or another, even my 80-year-old mom.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    SUNNY3061990SUNNY3061990 Posts: 6unconfirmed, member
    Face-ID sucks, I want Touch ID back