Apple close to buying music identification service Shazam, report says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    k2kw said:
    I guess we now know why I he homePod is delayed.   They are buying their "musicologist"
    Actuslly, Siri is already relying today on Shazam to identify music. 
    True, however Apple could make sure this technology doesn't get into the hands of Amazon, Google, or whom else wants to make a smart speaker.  

17 years from founding to profitability (1999-2016).
    Huh?
    edited December 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    macxpress said:
    k2kw said:
    I guess we now know why I he homePod is delayed.   They are buying their "musicologist"
    True, however Apple could make sure this technology doesn't get into the hands of Amazon, Google, or whom else wants to make a smart speaker.  
    Google Assistant used on Home smart speakers already offers song recognition, and it doesn't use Shazam. 
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/05/ok-google-whats-song-finally-coming-google-assistant/

edited December 2017
  • Reply 23 of 23
    macxpress said:
    k2kw said:

17 years from founding to profitability (1999-2016).
    Huh?
    From the article: "...in a bid to reach profitability, a goal it achieved in 2016."  Shazam was founded in '99 and finally hit profitability in  '16.  Thus 17 years from founding to profitability.  
    From a tech standpoint why would Amazon or Google care if Apple acquires Shazam?  That "technology" is not exclusive to Shazam and afaik neither company uses Shazam for powering their music recognition.  The only people who would care are those who use Shazam outside of Apple's ecosystem, and they could easily use other services.