Google releases two experimental photo apps for iOS

Posted:
in iPhone
Google on Monday released a pair of "appsperiments" that provide new ways of capturing photographic images with smartphones like iPhone, while at the same time helping the search giant refine experimental software tools related to computer vision and artificial intelligence.

The first app, called Selfissimo, automatically snaps a black-and-white photo when its user stops moving, an action that is translated as striking a pose.

Users tap the screen to start a mock photoshoot. Text prompts tell users to strike poses, which are captured when the app determines user motion has stopped. Tapping the screen a second time stops the process and generates a contact sheet of all images taken during the shoot. Users can elect to save individual images or the entire collection to Photos.

Selfissimo is avaialable on both iOS and Android.

A second iOS-only app called Scrubbies lets users manipulate the speed and direction of captured video by "scratching" it like a DJ scratches records. After capturing video in the app, users can preview the footage by scrubbing back and forth with one finger. Performing the same scrubbing operation with two fingers captures playback for saving or sharing.

Google also introduced an Android-exclusive app that uses computer vision, object recognition and other advanced technologies to pick out still images from a video and place them in a single-page comic layout. Aptly called Storyboard, the software chooses interesting video frames and applies them to one of six comic book-style layouts.

Google is asking users for feedback on its appsperiment releases so it can further refine its computer vision and AI technologies.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Among others, one thing I hate about Google is it makes/develops some App and throws at users/community and see if it sticks. Apple on other hand thinks through, develops something and when it puts it out, people loves it. Stay away from Goolge Apps.
    monstrosityjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Feed me, Seymour!
    Know you're just helping Google intrude further into all our lives, even if you thought at first it's only about your content (similar to how getting DNA test results about yourself can have unintended consequences for your relatives who perhaps didn't want to know). Every photo/video you take will be retained by Google for as long as it sees potential benefit. Facial, object and place recognition are only going to get better.... and technological improvement generally occurs at an exponential rate that beings such as ourselves can not fathom.
    edited December 2017 monstrosityjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    wood1208 said:
    Among others, one thing I hate about Google is it makes/develops some App and throws at users/community and see if it sticks. Apple on other hand thinks through, develops something and when it puts it out, people loves it. Stay away from Goolge Apps.
    It isn't necessarily about whether this particular app "sticks".  It's a guaranteed way, though, for Google to collect and mine more data without committing to doing anything long term to support the effort.  By embedding data collection in its own app, Google can obtain even more information about the scene than would be available by merely accessing the contents of the "camera roll".
    edited December 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Sinister company. Boycott Google. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    So, they are now doing it under your nose.

I admit I almost download Selfisimmo just to see how well it works. Tempted, but no. Better stay away.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Setting aside all the distrust of Google, aren't these apps a bit lame?

Take a selfie every time there's no movement in the frame, use a finger to run a video backwards and forwards? Where's the need for computer vision or AI (the other AI, that is) in those? I don't honestly see much innovation either.

I would probably have tried them if they were a little more exciting. So perhaps they are just about harvesting pictures - that's sad.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    It’s worth noting that stuff that seems a bit crappy on the surface is often being used as a test bed for something else. 

Google isn't interested in your selfies (they already have those) but they are interested in knowing when they’re looking at a stationary object, or working out that an object is about to stop moving, or working  out where an object will be when it comes rest. They will use the pictures taken to test it. 

Is this something useful for sharpening pictures of moving objects? Or perhaps in the AI for a self-driving car platform?

Christ on a bicycle! I sounded just like GoogleGuy! 😱

edited December 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    wood1208 said:
    There's place in the world for both models. If you want perfect out of the box, but later, go for Apple. If you want to tinker around and try some new things that might not work, Google is there. Opening these things up to the world before they are fully baked lets experimenters find use cases that Google/Apple would never have thought of themselves. Progress comes from many companies doing many different things.

Most likely, these apps will eventually just be features in a camera/video/photos app later. It seems like they are trying to remove the barriers to getting spontaneous, fun photos/videos without the human deciding when to push the button or decide which ones are keepers. Have you seen Clips? It records continuous video and decides what might be worth keeping and presents it to you. Perfect for people playing with their kids and not wanting to stop to click the shutter button.