Comparison: iPhone X vs. Galaxy Note 8 biometrics

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    sdw2001 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Why, in the name of God, would you include iris scanning if you knew it was harmful?
    I don't think there is evidence that it is "harmful."  Since it's not using infrared (right?) I don't see how it could be harming anything.  It might just be that people look more directly at it or hold it closely.  That can cause eye strain.  It's unlikely the scanning itself.  
    I was playing around with black lights for Halloween and without UV protection, it quickly gave me eye strain. The light affects your eye, even if it doesn’t stimulate your retina.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 26
    sdw2001 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Why, in the name of God, would you include iris scanning if you knew it was harmful?
    I don't think there is evidence that it is "harmful."  Since it's not using infrared (right?) I don't see how it could be harming anything.  It might just be that people look more directly at it or hold it closely.  That can cause eye strain.  It's unlikely the scanning itself.  
    "A study conducted in 2013, examined the effects of infrared radiation (IR) on the eyes using 15 New Zealand rabbits.

Because enzyme activity decreasing more with time spent exposed to IR, the team had concluded that the technology does have the ability to cause corneal opacity, burns on the retina, breakdown of blood-aqueous barrier and delayed cataract."

Read the whole thing: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4597594/Samsung-users-say-iris-scanner-causing-eye-discomfort.html#ixzz514gBw8iw 

magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 26
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    jungmark said:
    Sammy's iris scanning can hurt your eyes? Wtf?! 
    In every way possible, Samsung, with its Note models, is determined to be associated with the term, ‘It burns, oh God, it burns!’

"The goggles, they do nothing!"

sdw2001 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Which is why I asked. No reason infra-red should do any harm, either, it's all about how much of it they're using. If they're shining a very strong visible light into your eye to pick out detail on the iris, that could cause strain. Or if they want people to keep the eye open too long, or focus on something at an odd distance, or they shine a really powerful IR light into your eye. Or it might just be that the phone is so damn ugly that staring at it in order to use the iris scanning is causing the strain.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 26
    brakken said:
    Iris-gate.

I simply can’t believe that Samsung has released a poor-quality product and user-experience! 
    What is the world coming to?
    I find it funny. You folks are really shills of Apple. I have lived enough to see the same about Microsoft two decades ago. And for the record I am on Apple devices... just that I did my personal evaluation of both and found Note 8 more p[ractical, more elegant and better design. Do not confuse this with other versions of the product. Also pay attentiuon because on European market people will confirm what I say and Apple is marginal. Over there it is Samsung and some Chinese solid smartphones that people use rather than iPhone. Truust me. As much as I loved iPhones the iPhone X design is cheezy at best comparing to Note 8. If someone does not see it keeping them side by side then the person has issues with bias. Like it or not Samsun did good job on Note 8... I am not saying they did on others, but on Note 8 yes. And yes I am aware of Android OS issues but unfortunatelly there is no way to run iOS on Note 8 ;)
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    brakken said:
    Iris-gate.

I simply can’t believe that Samsung has released a poor-quality product and user-experience! 
    What is the world coming to?
    I find it funny. You folks are really shills of Apple. I have lived enough to see the same about Microsoft two decades ago. And for the record I am on Apple devices...
    As a rule of thumb, everything written after a statement of Apple device use will be utter bollox. But I’m glad folk do it: it saves me the effort of reading further. 
    edited December 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 26
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,306member
    Vadim: thanks for the explanation. Sounds like Iris Scanning works better, but at the cost of the safety of your eyes (!).
    watto_cobra