Apple's iMac Pro comes with special black Lightning-to-USB cable

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27

appex said:
    Programmed obsolescence. All-in-one (AIO) computers like iMac are a huge aggression to planet Earth. Computers may last for seven years or less, whereas displays may last for more than 20 years. I am using an Apple Cinema Display 22-inch purchased almost 18 years ago and it works great. And it has been on an average of 15 hours a day, 356 days each year.
    Same old nonsense from you. I'm using an 8-year old AIO, so how the fuck can that be planned obsolescence? Your words have no meaning. Further, iMacs are highly recyclable, unless all the bulky plastic junk from HP and Dell that end up in landfills. Are you whining about them too? You should be. 

What is the power consumption and thermal output of your 2000 Apple Cinema Display compared to a modern iMac?
    mike1netmagewatto_cobramattinoz
  • Reply 22 of 27

docno42 said:

omasou said:
    My BeatsX headphones came w/a black USB Lightening cable. Nice that we can now get them from Apple.

The lightning cables from monoprice.com are way better than Apples and a lot more cost effective; 
    Unfortunately my Monoprice USB lightning cables were junk and fell just fell apart quite quickly thru normal use. Amazon too. So for me it's Anker and Apple.
    dysamorianetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Now I know why it costs $4999.
    tenthousandthings
  • Reply 24 of 27
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    appex said:
    Programmed obsolescence. All-in-one (AIO) computers like iMac are a huge aggression to planet Earth. Computers may last for seven years or less, whereas displays may last for more than 20 years. I am using an Apple Cinema Display 22-inch purchased almost 18 years ago and it works great. And it has been on an average of 15 hours a day, 356 days each year.
    If you can plug that display in to a modern computer then you can plug it in to the iMac as a second screen for email, reference materials or the like. Not to mention not hard to find someone to hand down iMac to when you want to upgrade, Most offices that buy can run them down a couple of levels of staff demand then sell them (or give them away as Bonus) for staff home computers. 

The only ones I've seen not go to a good home had broken or faulty screens and even they might have been refurbished.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,024member
    TomE said:
    Hardly worth an article.  
    Whoa now we're talking a cable that is at least worth $40, I would say that's newsworthy! /s
  • Reply 26 of 27
    tzm41 said:
    Why still USB-A??
    I would assume because that is all that is needed. Why put a more expensive interface on it when you only want basic sync for BT pairing and charging? Plus you can use it with any USB port chargers you have laying around.
    Yes — it would be a waste to use a Thunderbolt 3 port for this. Save those for other things. Most people will keep it plugged into the keyboard, only unplugging it to charge the mouse/trackpad or to connect an iPhone/iPad. 
    I think what's implied here is that there are no USB A ports on the MacBook "Pro", kind of like the marketing argument that it took "courage" to kill the headphone jack on the iPhone because Apple wanted to sell more EarPods it was "antiquated". Meanwhile every other device they make has a headphone jack, and all of their desktops still have USB-A ports. Therefore, would it kill them to give us one or two USB A ports on a "pro" laptop? It's just another example of Apple ignoring what we need, and telling us what we want.