iMac Pro debuts custom Apple T2 chip to handle secure boot, password encryption, more

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,442member
    Flytrap said:
    anome said:

Interesting that there's no FaceID... ...It might be that FaceID wasn't ready for the iMac Pro when they finalised the design...

FaceID not only requires a new camera module with the depth sensing technology (aka the notch), but it also requires processing logic commands (and machine learning capabilities) that are built into the A11 Bionic chip.

simply upgrading the iMac front facing camera array with the depth sensing camera module found in the iPhone X without also including the A11 Bionic SIC will not enable FaceID or the AI capabilities that it needs to function.
    Apple's own AI white paper suggests the A10 maybe even the A9 was capable of doing the compute work needed for FaceID but the battery drain was very much on the unacceptable level. They needed to build the Bionic special features to get in to the battery budget. Same doesn't apply in an iMac.

Still needs cameras to work and well from the description it sounds like they be better off with something geared around high speed encryption.
    Could be based on A10 and Hurricane cores given that chip had PCIe and NVMe support needed for what they are talking about.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 27
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    1) I wish Apple had detailed this more. I feel like we haven't gotten a good look at all of its features.

2) I assume we should be expecting this in all future Macs. Any reason to thin otherwise?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 27
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,658member
    Soli said:
    1) I wish Apple had detailed this more. I feel like we haven't gotten a good look at all of its features.

2) I assume we should be expecting this in all future Macs. Any reason to thin otherwise?
    Yes indeed, looking forward to more details such as how this impacts recovery mode options and such things. This article uses the term "user" a lot but I'm assuming that "administrator" is equally applicable and these features will also allow IT organizations to further lock-down and enforce InfoSec policies on iMac Pro machines within organizations. This will make these machines a bit more attractive for enterprise and IT-managed applications and lessen the impact of the cost premium over standard iMacs. 
  • Reply 24 of 27

Notably, the iMac Pro lacks Touch ID, or Face ID, meaning there is no way to authenticate Apple Pay purchases with the device. Users must instead rely on an iPhone or Apple Watch nearby, logged into the same iCloud credentials, to authorize Apple Pay purchases on the web.

When I use ApplePay on my MacBook Pro (with Touch ID), it makes me confirm it with my iPhone's touch ID rather than the one built into the MacBook itself. Is that typical. It tends to surprise me when this happens.
    To loosely quote Steve.... “you’re touching it wrong”, lol.
    In all seriousness, you just need to toggle “allow Apple Pay on my Mac” from settings on your iPhone. 
    See here —> https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k2adAYOJqvk
  • Reply 25 of 27

Notably, the iMac Pro lacks Touch ID, or Face ID, meaning there is no way to authenticate Apple Pay purchases with the device. Users must instead rely on an iPhone or Apple Watch nearby, logged into the same iCloud credentials, to authorize Apple Pay purchases on the web.

When I use ApplePay on my MacBook Pro (with Touch ID), it makes me confirm it with my iPhone's touch ID rather than the one built into the MacBook itself. Is that typical. It tends to surprise me when this happens.
    Yes. Two probable reasons — Using two devices absolutely confirm that it's you, unless both of your devices are in the possession of someone else and have your fingerprint, which would be very unlikely. And Macs likely haven't been signed-off by banks for authorizing payments.

I went ahead and answered the op’s question correctly & honestly...
    For the record... you are WRONG. You can totally use Apple Pay on a MacBook Pro w/ TouchBar, sans iPhone.
    The video I linked shows it in action............ eleven months ago. Pretty common knowledge.
    Maybe next time, if you literally have no idea... just stfu, instead of making up some bs, yeah?
    I think it was Mark Twain that said- “better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to speak & remove all doubt”.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    focher said:
    I just tested the T2 security. Login "root" with an empty password works!

And anyone tempted to write that I should use a /s on this post, just don't. The bar is already low enough, isn't it?
    So I guess that means that iMac Pro shipped with High Sierra 10.13 or 10.13.1 and somebody didn't bother to update it to 10.13.2? /smart!
    bb-15
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Chip updates tend to come with new numbers. The next in the sequence would be T3. My guess is that the secure boot feature is an indicator that Apple will be replacing its EFI with UEFI, which also supports secure boot. I'm not expert, I just like to make guesses.