Logic Pro X updated to take advantage of high core counts in the iMac Pro, future Mac Pro

Posted:
in Mac Software
Apple on Thursday issued an update to Logic Pro X, the firm's digital audio production tool, optimizing the performance of the software when used with the iMac Pro, as well as addressing an issue in High Sierra that prevented some users from working on their projects.

The update to version 10.3.3 enables Logic Pro X users to take advantage of the higher core counts available on the iMac Pro. According to the release notes, the latest iteration is capable of supporting up to 36 cores, more than double the core count offered by the 18-core model offered in the current iMac Pro range.

An issue that can "cause user-created content to become unavailable" when used in macOS High Sierra has been addressed in the release. As to be expected, the update also includes a number of "additional stability and performance improvements."

Logic Pro X 10.3.3 is available to existing users as a free update, while new users will have to pay $199.99 for the app from the Mac App Store, though education customers can purchase the Pro Apps Bundle for Education for $199.99 instead. The latest release requires OS X 10.11 or later running on a 64-bit processor, with the full download weighing in at 1.35 gigabytes.

The Logic Pro X update coincides with changes made to other Apple content creation apps used by professionals, in preparation for users upgrading to the iMac Pro. Earlier the same day, updates to Final Cut Pro added the ability to edit full-resolution 8K video and extended support for 360-degree VR video to Motion and Compressor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    According to the release notes, the latest iteration is capable of supporting up to 36 cores, more than double the core count offered by the 18-core model offered in the current iMac Pro range. "

I'm assuming this means 18 core, with another 18 hyper-threaded cores, just as the i7 processor has four cores with four more hyper-threaded cores for a total of 8.

Not all software ,or operating systems for that matter, fully support hyper-threading.   So it can be a bit of a buyer beware.  I suspect that Apple's push to all 64 b programming will push all programming (eventually) to optimally utilize Apple's hardware/software, including Intel's Xenon hyper-threading.  Given that Apple is now moving to Xeon processors in its Pro line, it makes it more difficult to make the jump (as many have on this forum) that Apple will utilize its own processors for Mac's going forward.  That said, Apple could create a hybrid system with a custom Axx chipset that would take advantage of the Intel processor line and its hyper-threading.

Now that he specs are out on the iMac Pro I'm reviewing my software requirements to decide whether the high end iMac or the new iMac Pro is best for me.

Here is the link to Intel's processor pages:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/xeon-scalable-w-workstation-brief.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/i7-processors.html

• Reply 2 of 4
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    emoeller said:
    Given that Apple is now moving to Xeon processors in its Pro line,...
    "Now moving to"? Apple has been using Xeon processors in the Mac Pro line for some time.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Full release notes here: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203718
  • Reply 4 of 4
    dysamoria said:
    emoeller said:
    Given that Apple is now moving to Xeon processors in its Pro line,...
    "Now moving to"? Apple has been using Xeon processors in the Mac Pro line for some time.
    My bad, i used to use all Apple "pro" equipment until 2009 when I purchased a high end iMac I7.   Are you familiar with software comparisons i7 vs Xeon?  Unfortunately much of the specialty software I still use runs Windows only and I'm wondering how well the latest Mac Pro Xeon computers handle Fusion/Parallels virtual Windows OS?