iPhone X expected to reach global supply equilibrium by mid-January, helping iPhone ASP su...

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2017
With next-day delivery of the iPhone X achieved in the U.S., one analyst believes Apple will completely catch up with demand for the hot selling handset worldwide by mid January, potentially setting the company up for big sales to kick off 2018.

Availability of the iPhone X continues to improve, and as of Monday the device is available for next-day delivery in the U.S., as well as same-day pickup from most stores. Analyst Gene Munster of Loup Ventures sees supply-demand balance for the iPhone X being reached by the middle of January, which should help sales in the March quarter.

As of last week, the iPhone X was available at an average of 44 percent of U.S. Apple retail stores, Munster's research found. That was up from 25 percent the previous week.

During last week alone, availability dramatically ramped up, starting at just 27 percent availability and ending the week at 54 percent.

Beyond the ability to buy the iPhone X, Munster also believes that Wall Street could be underestimating the positive effect the $999-and-up handset will have on the overall iPhone average selling price.

For fiscal year 2018, Munster believes the overall iPhone ASP will be $740, considerably higher than the average Wall Street prediction of $705.

For comparison, as of last quarter -- and before the iPhone X launched -- the iPhone's ASP was $619. Given that the iPhone X starts at $999 for 64 gigabytes and goes up to $1,149 for a 256-gigabyte model, it's expected that the iPhone ASP will see a significant boost starting with the current December quarter.

Sales of the iPhone X kicked off in early November, with availability limited at launch but gradually increasing. While the December quarter will represent the launch of the iPhone X, the proceeding March frame will actually be the first full quarter of iPhone X sales.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    Me thinks revenue > 90 billion this quarter.  The ability of 🍏 to ramp up production of the X is spectacular.
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Good for Apple but will wait for cheaper LCD version of iPhone X.
    78Banditmakeintosh
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    “Christ on a bicycle! It’s a complete and unmitigated disaster!  Apple hasn’t sold a single phone since 2006! And they’re making more?? This isn’t good news for Apple!”

I think that should cover it.

edited December 2017 lkruppmacguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Lol. More mud in the faces of the non-believers.
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    If you can’t afford iphoneX please keep your previous iphone, quiet a few models are still supported....dont sell your kidney to get the X. 
    Im quiet enjoying my silver X and NO I did not sell my ear 👂, hehe
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    wood1208 said:
    What do you mean?  An iPhone 8 in the X form factor?  With or without Face ID?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    wood1208 said:
    What do you mean?  An iPhone 8 in the X form factor?  With or without Face ID?
    According to Ming-Chi Kuo we can expect to see 5.8" and 6.5" AMOLED iPhones in 2018 along with a lower resolution LCD based 6.1" phone.  All are expected to have Face ID.  The LCD model is expected to run around $700.

Link here:  http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/11/13/65-inch-iphone-x-61-inch-lcd-iphone-in-the-works-for-late-2018-launch

Picture doesn't show a bezel, but it is likely that the phone will have at least a small bezel for the LCD backlight.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Looking forward to picking up a 256GB iPhone X in 2 yrs for $500 on eBay. Until then, enjoying my iPhone 7.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    wood1208 said:
    I am going to say not going to happen. OLED is an integral part of iPhone X as much as ts edge to edge screen and FaceID. But good luck, anyway.
    fallenjtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 19
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    Finally decided against the iPhone X for the iPhone 8 Plus. The skinnier, taller X factor just felt off. I guess I'm too familiar with the old form factor. Bought two iPhone 8 Plus, so the savings are going either towards the purchase of an Apple Watch or  iPad Pro before the end of the year.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    wood1208 said:
    Then you’ll be waiting forever. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Loved plus, but X is a great manageable size and even better. I have big hands very comfortable in the hand and that gorgeous screen. Face id is excellent touch id is afterthought,  That said if they make a bigger oled X ill buy it but content with this one. Its only money. For something I use everyday for everything its worth it. Love my X. 
    edited December 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 19
    ronn said:
    Finally decided against the iPhone X for the iPhone 8 Plus. The skinnier, taller X factor just felt off. ...
    Perhaps the vertical orientation can prove more useful to traditional Eastern Asian (Japanese, Chinese, Mongolian, Korean, Malaysian)
    vertical (top-to-bottom) writing style, although I understand that Asian web page design may have become more bastardized
    towards the horizontal way in recent times.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Has any iPhone or any apple product reached equilibrium just a little over a month after it's been released. This seems to me rather quickly, the ramp up of production of this phone needs a mini series.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    ronn said:
    Finally decided against the iPhone X for the iPhone 8 Plus. The skinnier, taller X factor just felt off. I guess I'm too familiar with the old form factor. Bought two iPhone 8 Plus, so the savings are going either towards the purchase of an Apple Watch or  iPad Pro before the end of the year.

Having used the 6 Plus, 6S Plus and the 7 Plus, the only thing I miss on the X is the enhanced options in landscape mode, like the 2-pane structure for mails and messages and the additional keys on the keyboard.

edited December 2017 watto_cobraronn
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Lol. More mud in the faces of the non-believers.
    You are so wrong. They will just hate even more.

watto_cobraronn
  • Reply 17 of 19
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    For the first time since it went on sale, my local Apple Store had Xs for walk-in customers on Saturday and Sunday. Now it's a three day wait for online order and pickup. Still not too bad.

Just as well. I wanted to check out the X, but if they had them in stock, my plastic would have taken a punch below it's belt. But hey— that's what plastic is for. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 19
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    lkrupp said:
    wood1208 said:
    Then you’ll be waiting forever. 
    No next year they will probably lower the Price of the X by $100 when the XI comes out.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    badmonk said:
    Me thinks revenue > 90 billion this quarter.  The ability of 🍏 to ramp up production of the X is spectacular.
    I think every quarter this coming year will see YOY growth due to the X.   2019 will probably be down a little bit - repeating the cycles of 6 (super cycle) and 6S (down a bit).