Google pushes YouTube TV app for Apple TV into 2018

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
People wanting to use a native Apple TV app to watch Google's YouTube TV will have to wait until the first quarter of next year, as the company says it will miss an original 2017 target.




Also postponed until next year is a native Roku client, according to CNET. An early version of that app has appeared on Roku devices in the past, but it can't yet be downloaded to the Roku OS homescreen.

Next quarter will additionally see support for 2014 and 2015 Samsung TVs, and Sony TVs running an older Linux-based OS instead of Android TV.

YouTube TV is Google's answer to services like Sling TV and PlayStation Vue, letting iewers watch some 40-plus channels, with an emphasis on the major broadcast networks ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox. It is however missing Turner and Viacom channels like CNN and the Cartoon Network.

The Apple TV is indirectly supported via Apple AirPlay, but that requires using the iPhone and iPad app as a remote. Other streaming options include Chromecasts, Android TV, the Xbox One, and more recent LG and Samsung TVs.

YouTube TV is currently available in over 80 U.S. cities such as Austin, Los Angeles, New York City, Philadelphia, and Seattle.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 11
    How about Google updates the YouTube app for Apple TV? It hasn't been touched since May 2016 and doesn't auto-refresh the subscriptions.
    sanspeterhartsandorbrian green
  • Reply 2 of 11
    sanssans Posts: 41member
    tomeone said:
    How about Google updates the YouTube app for Apple TV? It hasn't been touched since May 2016 and doesn't auto-refresh the subscriptions.
     ^^This^^
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 3 of 11
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,583member
    In YouTube related news it's being reported that Google has all the rights agreements in place for a subcription service, with Sony and Universal now on board with it. With YouTube music joining YouTube TV Google looks to be trying to move away from relying purely on ads in order to offer services. 
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-19/youtube-pacts-with-universal-sony-music-to-allow-paid-service
    edited December 2017 peterhart
  • Reply 4 of 11
    tomeone said:
    How about Google updates the YouTube app for Apple TV? It hasn't been touched since May 2016 and doesn't auto-refresh the subscriptions.
    There's obviously a fresh untapped source of information just waiting to be extracted from Apple TV users that currently just sits there... pooling... accumulating... waiting to be sold to the latest advertiser so they can convince us to buy things we neither need nor want.
    edited December 2017 watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 11
    As it stands, I do not use the YouTube app on my 4k AppleTV, I use the version on my 4k UHD TV instead. I'd rather just be able to use my Apple TV for everything, but as it's stands, the AppleTV version is well behind the version on my TV. It's obvious to me that Google is doing this intentionally.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,803member
    If Google can't even get an app they had since the original Apple TV on the current tvOS App Store perhaps we can stop bitching about Amazon having to issue updates to get 5.1 channels on the Prime Video app they barely squeaked into the tvOS App Store before their self-imposed, end-of-year deadline.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Will this be available in the UK? or is it like the TV app where the US get it first then one year later the UK get it?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,803member
    mavemufc said:
    Will this be available in the UK? or is it like the TV app where the US get it first then one year later the UK get it?
    As always, it’s based on securing rights, which all comes down to money. It’s why I have to use a VPN into the UK if I want to watch QI because BBC iPlayer doesn’t stream live to the US.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    gatorguy said:
    In YouTube related news it's being reported that Google has all the rights agreements in place for a subcription service, with Sony and Universal now on board with it. With YouTube music joining YouTube TV Google looks to be trying to move away from relying purely on ads in order to offer services. 
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-19/youtube-pacts-with-universal-sony-music-to-allow-paid-service
    Here's the thing... None of these arrangements are exclusives. All of these content providers know that the writing is on the wall for subscription TV. We're seeing the end of it now, so they'll be making partnerships and deals with any and everyone who walks in their doors.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Soli said:
    mavemufc said:
    Will this be available in the UK? or is it like the TV app where the US get it first then one year later the UK get it?
    As always, it’s based on securing rights, which all comes down to money. It’s why I have to use a VPN into the UK if I want to watch QI because BBC iPlayer doesn’t stream live to the US.
    Yeah true, it is kinda of annoying though, hopefully it does happen in the UK, hate being left out!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,803member
    mavemufc said:
    Soli said:
    mavemufc said:
    Will this be available in the UK? or is it like the TV app where the US get it first then one year later the UK get it?
    As always, it’s based on securing rights, which all comes down to money. It’s why I have to use a VPN into the UK if I want to watch QI because BBC iPlayer doesn’t stream live to the US.
    Yeah true, it is kinda of annoying though, hopefully it does happen in the UK, hate being left out!
    One day I hope that world-wide rights will be part of contracts from the get-go. Digital streaming, with what I assume is Netflix leading the charge, is moving very slowly in that direction.

    Major studios have even partnered with Netflix to release theatrical films in certain countries while releasing it on Netflix in others where they don't think it would do well in theaters (my presumption) on or around the same day. One recent example is The Hitman's Bodygaurd (2017) which hit US theaters on 18 August and then Netflix Japan on 25 August.


    Of course, this quick launch to Netflix meant that a high resolution copy with the various audio channels, subtitles, and dubbing also hit torrent sites that day, which very likely hindered theatrical sales worldwide.

    One classic example of not having the forethought to secure robust rights is the American television series Ally McBeal (1997–2002). One of the best parts of the series was the music selection, but they didn't have the licensing for the Region 1 DVDs in the US, which I think prevented the DVDs from being released in a timely fashion and then had different music which affected the entire feel of the series, from what I recall reading.

    edited December 2017
Sign In or Register to comment.