Watch: Five ways iPhone X could be better

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60

Love my iPhone X, but not nearly as much as I thought that I would.

Face ID. Is. Actually. Magic.

What notch?

Great physical size, and glass surround feels just right.  Less slippy in the hand than the 7's (but strangely slides off fabric easier...).

But, the hype about the wonderful super-sharp bezel-less OLED screen in the media is rubbish.  It isn't bezel-less in the same way as the Samsung Infinity screens are.  Ok, the glass wraps around and there's no mechanical bezel any more, but there is a black band around the edge of the viewing area - so in my book, that's still a bezel.

Also, with my aging eyes I really don't get the OLED 'advantage' over the iPhone 8 screens.  I'm sure it's there, but it's probably wasted on anyone over 30yrs old...and I'm waaay past that.

Dunno if I'd shell out so much for the next iPhone though...unless it's a beauty...

ronnsupadav03ben20philboogie
  • Reply 22 of 60
    MplsP said:
    I agree that force closing apps isn’t as convenient as it used to be, but as a general rule you shouldn’t be force closing apps unless they are causing issues. Just go to the home screen and forget about the rest. iOS will handle closing the app if it needs to.
    They absolutely need to fix this. Every other gesture with the X I learned and memorized right away. I force close apps because I hate having a cluttered app switcher. You shouldn’t have to long press then swipe up on an app card  to be able to close it. An extra step that’s not necessary,
    ben20mike1
  • Reply 23 of 60
    What struck me reading this list of complaints is how far we (and our expectations) have come in 10 short years...
    mike1philboogiebb-15pscooter63rochford
  • Reply 24 of 60
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    mrarfarf said:
    Good points, but firstly, Phil S. or another one of the high ups at apple recently mentioned for legal (regarding Apple Pay, etc.) and security reasons, Touch ID was never designed with two users in mind, ideally it's just one. So they kept this, don't expect it to change.

And for the last point, you CAN swipe up to close apps, once you see the red X's show up, you can start swiping away.
    The need to hold down and wait for the red icon seems like a completely unnecessary step.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    i agree with a few

1) i don't understand why two actions are need to activate the phone: can't just having face id registeriing my face be enough , why do i have to swipe up?
    It wasn’t too long ago that TouchID 2 was released and it was so fast people complained the phone would unlock and go to the home screen before they had a chance to see their notifications. 

Not long after that the procedure became TouchID to unlock, click to get to the home screen. That solved the issue of “too fast to see notifications”. 

With Face ID all I have to do to see my notifications is look at my phone. To get to the home screen one simple swipe is required. I don’t mind this, I don’t find it unnecessarily burdensome and think it makes a lot of sense. 

Though, I am confused a little by the complaints from people about having to swipe up to get to the home screen but don’t complain about swiping down from the left side to see their notifications. This author of this article even mentions swiping down for notifications is no big deal while at the same time complaining that swiping down for Control Center is a pain. I don’t get it. 

And to me, the swipe up from the bottom is easy to accomplish one handed, much easier than swiping from the top, either side. 
    bb-15pscooter63patchythepirate
  • Reply 26 of 60
    How about giving us tabs in Safari when the X is rotated landscape?
    ben20
  • Reply 27 of 60
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I returned my iPhone X/256G purchase unopened because of the reachability issue. I use it a ton and I need it fixed before I'm giving up my 7 and $1200.

Also Apple give us back a middle storage tier. The lack of it stinks of a pure money grab on TOP of a price increase.
  • Reply 28 of 60
    Great article. Been using my X for a month and these are most of the same pain points I have. Most of them I can make compromises on except the screen size and Face ID. Would love to see a Plus version launch next year and hopefully as we get into generation 2 & beyond Face ID continues to improve. If they can find a way to increase its field of vision, that would resolve most of my issues. 
    netmage
  • Reply 29 of 60
    So much of a Beta product -all web rhetoric aside. Crazy gestures, notch nuisance, unnecessary weight, shatter-prone backside, lack of customization. Why do we still have dropped frames during all those slow animations - whether equipped with a A9/10/11/12 or whatever...? Why is it still a headache to place a text cursor 1 position, after 10 years ? Siri mkes so many mistakes I evendnnt take care to correct it anymore...
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 30 of 60
    smiffy31 said:
    i agree with a few

1) i don't understand why two actions are need to activate the phone: can't just having face id registeriing my face be enough , why do i have to swipe up?
    BTW, the double action to the home screen has always been present even with touch ID, touch to unlock and press to go to the home screen.
    Except I, presumably like many others, turned off the need to press the home button with the Touch to Unlock option in Settings so we didn't have a second gesture until the X. They should just change it to Home on Unlock and make it available on the X as well as TouchID phones.
  • Reply 31 of 60
    thrang said:
    thrang said:
    They should add the ability to open the screen with a wink. Authenticate > unlock > wink > open
    Nope.
    Yep
    No, Apple will never implement something so dorky and gimmicky as winking to open stuff. That’s the kind of thing that sounds cool to techies only, and not normal people. Are you thinking of Samsung?
    edited December 2017 mike1bb-15pscooter63
  • Reply 32 of 60

mrarfarf said:
    Good points, but firstly, Phil S. or another one of the high ups at apple recently mentioned for legal (regarding Apple Pay, etc.) and security reasons, Touch ID was never designed with two users in mind, ideally it's just one. So they kept this, don't expect it to change.
    It was Craig, but he didn’t state it was for legal reasons as I recall, just that it was designed for one person. 
  • Reply 33 of 60
    MplsP said:
    I agree that force closing apps isn’t as convenient as it used to be, but as a general rule you shouldn’t be force closing apps unless they are causing issues. Just go to the home screen and forget about the rest. iOS will handle closing the app if it needs to.
    They absolutely need to fix this. Every other gesture with the X I learned and memorized right away. I force close apps because I hate having a cluttered app switcher. You shouldn’t have to long press then swipe up on an app card  to be able to close it. An extra step that’s not necessary,
    Yes you should, because a simple swipe up results in accidental closures and thus data loss. This even happens to me on the much larger iPad and the new task switcher. Requiring the long press implies user intent prior to entering a mode that can easily induce data loss. 

Your OCD condition is not what they engineer normal UX around. There is no more “clutter” in the app switcher’s list of recently used apps as there is in your browser’s history list. Do you manually manage your browser’s history list? Do you delete all old iMessage conversations from the list in Messages? All the same thing — lists of recent items. Feeling compelled to delete them is not normal. 
    edited December 2017 brucemcmacplusplusking editor the gratepscooter63
  • Reply 34 of 60

Bacillus3 said:
    So much of a Beta product -all web rhetoric aside. Crazy gestures, notch nuisance, unnecessary weight, shatter-prone backside, lack of customization. Why do we still have dropped frames during all those slow animations - whether equipped with a A9/10/11/12 or whatever...? Why is it still a headache to place a text cursor 1 position, after 10 years ? Siri mkes so many mistakes I evendnnt take care to correct it anymore...
    Do you have the X? I do, and don’t know what the crazy gestures are. There’s no notch nuisance whatsoever (this is how I know you don’t have one really), and the back is as unshattered as my series 4 phones, which still get occasional use. 
    brucemcsupadav03pscooter63bb-15
  • Reply 35 of 60
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    One would think that some better gestures involving 3D Touch could be developed which would make accessing control centre and notifications easier with one-handed operation.  Say accessing control centre with a swipe from the right with the immediate hard press for 3D Touch.  

Apple is slowly improving on the uses for 3D Touch, but I think they should really focus on this in IOS12.  None of the competition have this yet, and now with the iPhone X series it is a great time to simplify the UI with it and to differentiate.
  • Reply 36 of 60

Bacillus3 said:
    A troll account with 57 posts?  AI mods must be slipping.  As StrangeDays notes, it is clear you do not have the product, and based upon your comments, (lack of customization, incorrect knowledge of IOS UI functionality, etc) it is doubtful that you own any Apple iOS products. 
    bb-15
  • Reply 37 of 60

MplsP said:
    Your OCD condition... 
    ..explains every post from rogifan...
  • Reply 38 of 60
    brucemc said:

MplsP said:
    Your OCD condition... 
    ..explains every post from rogifan...
    "Dislike"
    Soli
  • Reply 39 of 60
    tshapi said:
    I also dont like that it is uni directional. You have to hold your phone upright just to log in. What if I pick up my phone in landscape because I want to watch a video or read an article or play a game.  I wonder how they will address that with the iPad. 
    11.2.5 beta has that covered. Whether it's implemented or not remains to be seen, obviously.
    Soli
  • Reply 40 of 60
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    thrang said:
    They should add the ability to open the screen with a wink. Authenticate > unlock > wink > open

I never thought about the options, but that's cool. How about smile to unlock? Maybe you could also open control center by sweeping up and down with your eyes?

I'm sort of joking, but I have to wonder if at least some of it might work.