Watch: Five tips for shooting high-quality video on your iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2017
Getting started with video on the iPhone is easy, but mastering the capture of it can be difficult. AppleInsider has five tips for you to make the most of your iPhone's video camera.

Smartphone technology has been growing faster than most people could have ever imagined, especially in terms of smartphone cameras.

Professional-grade camera sales are falling with the rise of the smartphone era, with many people realizing that smartphone cameras are now good enough to get the job done. With the iPhone 8 and X, we are now seeing some camera features that are only available on a small amount of professional cameras, namely 4K60 video recording, but the features don't come cheap.

You'll be paying at least $2000 for a professional camera that can shoot in 4K 60p, and at least $5,500 for the cheapest Canon camera with the feature.

iPhones, and other smartphones, are undoubtedly the mainstream cameras of the future, so here's 5 tips on how to shoot better video on your iPhone.

Tip one: stop shooting video vertically

There are now some apps that are properly utilizing vertical video. Even if the app you're currently using does, remember that not all apps do, and in that case, there will be a black frame covering most of the screen.

The best part about shooting horizontally is that pretty much all apps support fullscreen video in landscape mode, and you won't have any issues showing your videos off on a tv or computer screen.

So, always remember to flip your phone to a horizontal orientation before you start recording.

Tip two: choose your settings wisely

It's remarkable that the latest iPhone 8 and iPhone X can shoot 4K at 60 frames per second. It gives incredibly smooth motion, and can be slowed down for an awesome slow-mo effect, while keeping the ultra-sharp 4K resolution.

The issue with it is that shooting at 60 frames per second requires a higher shutter speed to keep motion looking smooth, but that in turn requires more light. In low light situations, the shutter speed could be lowered, the quality can get worse, or the video will just be too dark compared to shooting at 30 frames per second.

So if you're not planning on slowing down the video, and you find yourself in a low-light situation, just switch to 4K30. It'll save storage space as well.

If you really want to get a slow-mo shot, just shoot in the actual slow-motion mode.

Tip three: be strategic with your lens choices

The iPhone X is the first iPhone with optical image stabilization on both camera lenses. This means that we no longer get really shaky footage while using the telephoto lens.

On previous dual lens iPhones, it may be worth it to shoot with the wide lens and use digital zoom instead. Although the image quality goes down, at least you don't have a bunch of camera shake in your footage. If you've got something like a smartphone gimbal that can stabilize the footage, the telephoto lens will look a lot smoother.

The telephoto lens also gives a different look compared to the wide lens. It has less lens distortion, which makes objects and people on the edge of the frame look wider. The longer lens also increases the amount of background compression, providing a more pleasing image when recording people or objects.

On the other hand, if you want to show off the background or are shooting in low light conditions, go with the wide lens.

Tip four: Stabilize your video

Another way to shoot better video is to use a stabilizer. You can use a tripod or monopod for static footage, but our favorite option is a gimbal, since you're free to move around while recording. This is the best option for vlogging and recording things like skateboarding videos, for example.

These used to cost thousands of dollars when they were introduced, but now we have great phone gimbal options like the Zhiyun Smooth Q, for only about $100.

With a bit of practice, you can get smooth shots with cinematic motion. You can choose to shoot in 24 frames per second for the cinematic style, or shoot in 4K 60, and slow it down for some pretty awesome shots.

Tip five: use a third-party app

While Apple's app does the job for regular shooting, the settings constantly change, especially if you're using a gimbal. The white balance and exposure can constantly change while moving around, which can easily ruin some shots.
With a third-party app, you can set those settings manually.

One of our favorites is ProMovie Recorder +, which offers a ton of controls for only $2.99.

To manually set the white balance in ProMovie so it doesn't shift while recording, tap the WB button near the bottom of the UI, then choose the option that fits your lighting conditions. If you don't know which one to use, try each one, and then choose the one that correctly represents white the best.

You can also fine tune the white balance by using the slider on the right side of the UI. Just make sure True Tone is off before doing so.

If you want to lock the exposure, just tap on an object, and hit the lock button. If the image still looks too bright, you can use the slider to fine tune it, which will adjust both the shutter speed and ISO. You can also adjust them independently by tapping on each option.

When in brightly lit conditions, set the ISO to the lowest setting and adjust the exposure using the shutter speed, this will reduce noise in your footage.

In low light, set the shutter speed no lower than the frames per second you're shooting in and adjust your exposure using the ISO setting.

If you're planning on shooting in 4K60 and slowing down your footage, always make sure your shutter speed is at least twice your frame rate or else the video will have too much motion blur.

If you tap on the resolution settings, you can adjust your video bit rate to a much higher 120 Mbps, compared to the standard 25 Mbps that the Apple camera app records in. This will increase your video quality by reducing the amount of compression, but at the same time, take up a lot more storage space.

We suggest maxing this setting out when shooting 4K at 60 frames per second, and setting it to around 50Mbps when shooting 4K at 30 frames per second to save space. But if you have a lot of extra storage space and aren't worried about using it, then just leave it maxed out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    I think you need to increase the font size on tip one so people get the point to stop shooting vertical videos. 
    zeus423watto_cobrapscooter63thinkman@chartermi.netmike1StrangeDaysjbdragonstanthemanjony0
  • Reply 2 of 15
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Thank you, this is really helpful. I am going to download ProMovie now. And yes, people need to stop shooting vertically.

note: It's worth to mention that you can download a free version in case you want to try out the app. I just bought the full version and it's a pleasant to use.
    edited December 2017 zeus423watto_cobrajbdragonstantheman
  • Reply 3 of 15
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Please tell us how we can PAUSE a video while recording. I’m tired of creating movie fragments
    pscooter63
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Gawd! This is so correct: "Tip one: stop shooting video vertically There are now some apps that are properly utilizing vertical video. Even if the app you're currently using does, remember that not all apps do, and in that case, there will be a black frame covering most of the screen." One must remember where the audience is going to view the videos in most cases - on a wide-screen monitor or an HDTV set. A helpful video from YouTube:
    edited December 2017 watto_cobrathinkman@chartermi.netStrangeDaysjbdragon
  • Reply 5 of 15
    2:57...Who's that??? Cute
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Wow, had no idea the whole Vertical Video thing was such an emotional subject. Doesn’t it depend on the subject matter. Like a video with tall buildings, redwood trees, etc., etc?

”TVs are horizontal, computer screens are horizontal, movies screens are horizontal”, books are . . . oops, no, newspapers are . . . oops, no. I know that the last two aren’t moving images, but a computer screen subject isn’t always either. 

Let’s embrace diversity and artistic expression!
  • Reply 7 of 15
    fred1 said:
    Wow, had no idea the whole Vertical Video thing was such an emotional subject. Doesn’t it depend on the subject matter. Like a video with tall buildings, redwood trees, etc., etc?

”TVs are horizontal, computer screens are horizontal, movies screens are horizontal”, books are . . . oops, no, newspapers are . . . oops, no. I know that the last two aren’t moving images, but a computer screen subject isn’t always either. 

No, because all televisions and the vast majority of computer screens are landscape. Shooting vertical is only really useful for smartphones. It’s not a “diversity and artistic expression” issue. It’s simply how things are.
    watto_cobramike1StrangeDays
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I think you're better off with the OSMO mobile gimbal rather than the Zhiyun, the OSMO is magnesium and better quality, plus it works with Filmic Pro which is probably the go to app for iPhone. That way the buttons on the gimbal control the video camera so you can actually do a pull to focus or a pull to exposure using Filmic Pro and the controls on the gimbal. This is über cool. The Osmo is available used for basically the same price as the Zhiyun. Also recommended for that movie look is Moondog Labs anamorphic lens which give true widescreen and Filmic pro unsquishes the film in real time. The moondog labs lens works with still shots too, which you can de squish in photoshop. Plus Filmic lets you shoot in log for colourising post prod. The Osmo and Moondog labs lens are not very expensive.
    watto_cobraTomEretrogustocecil444
  • Reply 9 of 15
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    fred1 said:

Oh, please.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 10 of 15
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    mike1 said:
    fred1 said:

Oh, please.
    Ditto. Gag.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Many people shoot vertical videos on purpose.  For example, when shooting a police arrest, vertical video will filter out potential evidence against what the shooter really wants. 
  • Reply 12 of 15
    tzeshan said:
    Many people shoot vertical videos on purpose.  For example, when shooting a police arrest, vertical video will filter out potential evidence against what the shooter really wants. 
    What??
    stantheman
  • Reply 13 of 15
    fred1 said:

Video of buildings and trees is not very common, because those non-moving subjects are captured more effectively in still photos. Of course there are a few exceptions, but the general rule (horizontal, not vertical) still holds. The real issue is not the subject matter or the ease of pointing the camera (vertical is almost always easier), but the mode that’s appropriate for later viewing. Most playback devices (iPhone, iPad, laptop, computer, TV) have horizontal orientations, so most pictures and videos will present best with a horizontal orientation.  However, those who shoot photos and video but never look at the end product should stick with vertical because it is easier, and ... who really cares, anyway? Also, people who feel personally criticized by trends in social/political “correctness” should just do whatever they feel like at the moment. Everyone else is an idiot, so why listen to them.
    <br><br>
    FYI, newspapers and books come in formats appropriate for holding.  That, again, relates to the user interface, but hands become part of the equation, whereas photo and video are entirely visual.  Moreover, print/type differs from a picture or scenery.  The eyes move a lot to capture detail in print, whereas the brain takes in most scenery as whole images.  This is the idea of portrait mode, which focuses on detail and blurs the scene.  The portrait is then viewed vertically, because detail is the central objective.  Of course, there is no hard-and-fast rule that governs every form of media in every conceivable situation — except the rule (above) for insecure people who feel personally criticized by any suggestion that differs from their own opinion-of-the-day.  As Burger King says, they should have it their way. 
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Hi, How do i set my iPhone XS to shoot with long lens? I'm not sure where to find this?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    nh14nh14 Posts: 1member
    I am a HUGE advocate for Tip #1 - shooting horizontally. At times I wish I could have it printed on t-shirts and billboards, but I understand the instinct to shoot vertically.  We don't use our phones horizontally, so the natural inclination is not to shoot horizontally when using our phones. Still, it pains me to receive a batch of video clips shot vertically, from a client who wants me to put together a montage for viewing on a TV or Projection screen during their upcoming event. I believe vertically shot videos take away from the viewer's experience because while we are accustomed to using our phones in this position, we do not watch television or movies in this manner.