iOS apps on macOS would bring hope for Apple Watch, Apple Health support on Mac

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    Above_The_GodsAbove_The_Gods Posts: 25unconfirmed, member
    Other news sources didn’t interpret this as “iOS apps on Mac”, but rather a unified development environment that allows for universal app projects, in the same way as iPhone and iPad apps are universal but quite different implementations — an iPad app is an iPad app, and not just the iPhone app running on an ipad. 

It it has to do with different views (screens) but running the same models (business objects) and class libraries (functions) for easier reuse of your existing code. But the frontends are very different. 

I very much doubt we’re going to be running windowed iOS apps on the Mac as suggested. 
    iPad apps doesn't really have different screens from a developers prospective. You use size classes and auto layout to have it adjust to the width and height of the UI, not actually create different views. The frontend is the same.
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 22 of 24
    LTE is not available worldwide on Apple Watch. 
    https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular/

So the dream of totally untethered Apple Watch should wait a few years more to become a reality, until all carriers worldwide adopt the LTE Apple Watch.

Besides, even if people may well replace their iPhones with their LTE Apple Watch thanks to AirPods, I think more than 99% of iPhone users will continue to carry their iPhones, because the iPhone is primarily a computing device, not a telephone.

And as long as people carry their iPhones along with their LTE Apple Watch, untethering the two makes no sense.
    iPhone is not mainly a computing device unless you are mining bitcoin with it. 

I would love to stop carrying my iPhone with me if my LTE Watch could last an entire day. I already leave my iPhone when I go for a run in the woods or when I run short errands around town. 

I’ve realized that I’m addicted to my iPhone, and I’m trying to shake off this addiction.  It’s liberating to be out and about without having a smartphone on me at all times. 
  • Reply 23 of 24
    Rayz2016 said:
    Other news sources didn’t interpret this as “iOS apps on Mac”, but rather a unified development environment that allows for universal app projects, in the same way as iPhone and iPad apps are universal but quite different implementations — an iPad app is an iPad app, and not just the iPhone app running on an ipad. 

It it has to do with different views (screens) but running the same models (business objects) and class libraries (functions) for easier reuse of your existing code. But the frontends are very different. 

I very much doubt we’re going to be running windowed iOS apps on the Mac as suggested. 

Yup, AI got it wrong In the original, and got quite upset when I pointed it out. 

As you say, this is not running iOS apps on the Mac, which would be a usability nightmare. They’ve aligned the UI frameworks so that it’s much easier for developers to share code between the platforms. It’s also possible that they’re working on a responsive UI, so that it automatically adjusts itself depending on the device it’s running on. 

But no, they’re not going to be running iOS apps on the Mac. Not really their style. 

If Android manages to Run on Chrome OS as they’ve stated and the worlds most used OS on its fragmented foundation on a 200$ computer safe enough for Elenentary School Childs and Apple still thinks iOS and MacOS will live on separately AI is right. 

Also so what happens behind Apples public hardwatre has nothing at all to do with what they sell. Remember we thought they made a car and a tv too. 

Still ut wouldn’t be all apps and ur previous candy crush isn’t one of them...
  • Reply 24 of 24
    I would be quite happy if my Health and HomeKit data could be synced and backed up locally. I prefer to set up my iPhones as new but doing so currently means I would lose all that Health data history. 

Back up your health data to iCloud, it is in the Settings. And don’t forget to unpair your Apple Watch whenever you change or restore your iPhone, so that your health data gets backed up during unpairing. 
    Thanks for that.  I hadn’t noticed the new switch in Settings for Health.