Apple 2017 year in review: iPad gets cheaper than ever, more expensive than ever with new ...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    rdh57 said:
    Please! Please! Keep the IPad mini. It is the best device out there for mobile travel. Awesome reader, internet browser, offfice tool, picture library, and more. Bigger than iphone platform. Smaller than a notebook. It’s a tool! Come on Apple. Please keep it. Thank You!
    I suspect if the 9.7 looses the bezel it will be good enough for you.  Sorry the IPad mini is to small for the average adult, and the kids are happy with their always connected iPhones.  The IPad mini is dead.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Great synopsis: "A funny thing happened as Apple sent the iPad in two different directions: Sales rebounded."  

Brilliant move on Apple's part. In simple terms, if you're not doing 'real work,' (and I don't mean that disparagingly), get an iPad. If you're using an iPad for work, get a Pro.

Maybe the smaller one for travel and the larger one for at home?

In the latter part of 2018, I could very well see myself, selling my 2017 MacBook and going all in on iOS by purchasing an iPadPro. Sadly, I don't see buying another MacOS devise. End of an era, I suppose. Sad.  :(

In 2018, the latest iPadPro, the new SE, a new LTE AppleWatch and a 4K ATV. That's about $1,500 all running iOS. About the cost of a nice 27" iMac or a MacBookPro running MacOS. 

Apple's new AirPower for the new SE, AppleWatch and AirPods will be 2018's product sensation. Just like the AirPods were last year! Two devices that are so Apple!

P.S. The ability to lay down my SE on my Apple charging pad w/o having to plug it in, is a reason to upgrade. Even more so than FaceID, OLED screens or improved cameras!

I know this b/c I love just laying my current AppleWatch down. You will, too! :) 

Best
    Don’t do it. Don’t abandon the Mac. I plan to purchase more Macs when I earn more money. Do not give Apple more reasons to abandon the Mac.
    Haha....OK. :)
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Great synopsis: "A funny thing happened as Apple sent the iPad in two different directions: Sales rebounded."  

Brilliant move on Apple's part. In simple terms, if you're not doing 'real work,' (and I don't mean that disparagingly), get an iPad. If you're using an iPad for work, get a Pro.

Maybe the smaller one for travel and the larger one for at home?

In the latter part of 2018, I could very well see myself, selling my 2017 MacBook and going all in on iOS by purchasing an iPadPro. Sadly, I don't see buying another MacOS devise. End of an era, I suppose. Sad.  :(

In 2018, the latest iPadPro, the new SE, a new LTE AppleWatch and a 4K ATV. That's about $1,500 all running iOS. About the cost of a nice 27" iMac or a MacBookPro running MacOS. 

Apple's new AirPower for the new SE, AppleWatch and AirPods will be 2018's product sensation. Just like the AirPods were last year! Two devices that are so Apple!

P.S. The ability to lay down my SE on my Apple charging pad w/o having to plug it in, is a reason to upgrade. Even more so than FaceID, OLED screens or improved cameras!

I know this b/c I love just laying my current AppleWatch down. You will, too! :) 

Best
    Don’t do it. Don’t abandon the Mac. I plan to purchase more Macs when I earn more money. Do not give Apple more reasons to abandon the Mac.
    Haha....OK. :)
    IOS has expanded functionality with the latest OS, but the only people “abandoning” MacOS are casual users.

It’s more likely A series chips expand into Apple’s lower end laptops & iMacs running MacOS, and taking market share from Windows machines.  The iMac Pro will never abandon MacOS but they’re moving into the power user space of the Mac Pro.

Microsoft is also moving Windows to ARM at the low end...  I’m not sure if Microsoft cares about losing market share as long as businesses use MS Office, and purchase Windows Servers.

We’re going to see some weird product mixes for the next few years, but I don’t see devices running MacOS dying out.  The biggest question is will Intel be inside any Apple devices in 10 years.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 28
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    rdh57 said:
    Please! Please! Keep the IPad mini. It is the best device out there for mobile travel. Awesome reader, internet browser, offfice tool, picture library, and more. Bigger than iphone platform. Smaller than a notebook. It’s a tool! Come on Apple. Please keep it. Thank You!
    It's also the perfect size for kids smaller hands.  The full size iPad is too big for them.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 28
    rdh57 said:
    I suspect if the 9.7 looses the bezel it will be good enough for you.  Sorry the IPad mini is to small for the average adult, and the kids are happy with their always connected iPhones.  The IPad mini is dead.
    Nah, quite the opposite...  Partly because many kids don't get iPhones until later.  And also, while the iPhone is great for many things, for playing games the iPad is far better -- particularly the iPad Mini if you're a kid who has the small hands of a kid.

Also, for long car trips, the kids can use it to watch movies.  You can do that on an iPhone, but it sucks.
    edited January 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 28
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,511member
    On the iPhone I like a bezel-free design because I can grip the phone in my hand without touching the display surface. With the iPad I actually like having some bezel to help with holding the iPad without touching the screen. Yeah, I know it's a touch based device by it's still easy to inadvertently select something or change focus on the UI while gripping it. I'm also not a big fan of fingerprints or smears on the screen. I mostly use my iPad in dimly lit environments but when I see what the screen surface actually looks like in a fully lighted room or in daylight with the display dark, the smears and fingerprints are somewhat disgusting, which is why I keep microfiber clothes within easy reach pretty much everywhere I am, including in the car, pretty much every room in the house, in my travel bag, etc. I try to keep my screens clean at all times but I cringe when I see what other people's devices look like in full light. I truly believe that most people's touch devices have an active and thriving microbiome living on the screen surface of their device. No, I don't want to borrow your phone...
    edited January 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 28
    dewme said:
    On the iPhone I like a bezel-free design because I can grip the phone in my hand without touching the display surface. With the iPad I actually like having some bezel to help with holding the iPad without touching the screen. Yeah, I know it's a touch based device by it's still easy to inadvertently select something or change focus on the UI while gripping it. I'm also not a big fan of fingerprints or smears on the screen. I mostly use my iPad in dimly lit environments but when I see what the screen surface actually looks like in a fully lighted room or in daylight with the display dark, the smears and fingerprints are somewhat disgusting, which is why I keep microfiber clothes within easy reach pretty much everywhere I am, including in the car, pretty much every room in the house, in my travel bag, etc. I try to keep my screens clean at all times but I cringe when I see what other people's devices look like in full light. I truly believe that most people's touch devices have an active and thriving microbiome living on the screen surface of their device. No, I don't want to borrow your phone...
    As a nurse I can I can assure that they DO have an active and thriving microbiome -- not just on their phone but over and all through their bodies.  In fact, if you actually counted your cells, you would find that you were only about 10% human.  That's not a jab, just scientific fact. 

We tend to think of bacteria as "bad".  But actually, we live a mutually beneficial symbiosis with the little buggers. 
  • Reply 28 of 28
    The iPad mini 2 is awesome don’t kill off the mini line please.