New analyst speculation suggests Apple cash repatriation increases odds of Netflix acquisi...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    sanssans Posts: 58member
    Three things Apple would get out of buying Netflex would be
    1. Infrastructure/technology
    2. Original programing
    3. Subscribers
    And i think the reasons would be in that order.

I don't see Apply trying to buy Hulu as once the Disney/Fox merger goes through, Disney would own 60% of Hulu. They, too, are wanting their own streaming service.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 22 of 49
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    sans said:
    2. Original programing
    3. Subscribers

I don't see Apply trying to buy Hulu as once the Disney/Fox merger goes through, Disney would own 60% of Hulu. They, too, are wanting their own streaming service.
    I would argue and say Apple already has a solid infrastructure for movie rentals and downloads, and an ongoing membership model already can quickly be adopted from Beats; original programing can be bought with raw money (actors, producers, writers); but subscribers, subscribers would be key, it's the only reason to building an environment like this, it's all about the subscribers. Where is Apple's Ping today?
    StrangeDaysJWSC
  • Reply 23 of 49
    maestro64 said:
    I do not think it is good idea to buy Netflix these days, I have not been too happy with them, and recently I found myself watch prime video over Netflix and talking with my kids they too are not too happy with them. I think this rumor is being put out to drive up Netflix stock so investors can cut their loses at this point. Hulu and Prime Video seem to be the new game in town.
    I spend more on iTunes each month (about 3 rentals), than I do for Netflix.  There’s a very good reason for this.  The content on Netflix, including virtually all of its original programming, is crap.   With what it is guessed that Apple could buy Netflix, Apple could produce, at the very least, 70 high quality, Apple only, programs worthy of awards. If Apple were to buy ANY streaming service it would be HBO, oh wait, that has already happened. 
  • Reply 24 of 49
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Soli said:
    maestro64 said:
    I do not think it is good idea to buy Netflix these days, I have not been too happy with them, and recently I found myself watch prime video over Netflix and talking with my kids they too are not too happy with them. I think this rumor is being put out to drive up Netflix stock so investors can cut their loses at this point. Hulu and Prime Video seem to be the new game in town.
    My only real complaint with Netflix is that the user profile doesn't stay automatically chosen. I find that annoying, but I find that Prime Video intermixing "free" and rentable content without a clear demarcation until you get to the paywall is more annoying. As much as I loved Top Gear (UK) I've barely even watched The Grand Tour, and I think it's because I dislike accessing their video portal… and that's despite loving their video player options, like X-Ray.
    Prime is a total disaster where I live. And yes, hiding what is available or location locked until you try play is useless. 

Netflix has boat loads of stuff. 
    Solih2p
  • Reply 25 of 49
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    There's more of a chance of me hitting it BIG in the Lotto then Apple buying Netflix!!! Personally I don't want to see that happen. Netflix is doing just fine on their own. There is a ton of original content for Kids and Adults. While I have Amazon Prime Service, I rarely watch anything over there. The last time I watch was the first season of 'A Man in the high Castle'. Netflix for me is #2. PLEX is #1 for me. It's one or the other for me unless it's my TIVO for my OTA recordings.
    Soli
  • Reply 26 of 49
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    1983 said:
    Netflix is 10s of billions of Dollars in debt. The quality of its original programming (The Crown excepted...excellent show!) is dropping and other streaming services of late seem to be doing more interesting things. Not currently a great buy for Apple IMO.
    Huh! Have you heard of "Stranger Things"?
    Netflix went from $14 per share to $200 in five years. That's 1,430%
    So maybe Apple should have bought them 5 years ago?
    Netflix has a proven studio of original content and dozens of more shows coming forward. Long and deep relations with Disney Marvel Studios, etc. It's a smart buy if Apple truly wants to be a content producer for the next several decades.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Soli said:
    maestro64 said:
    My only real complaint with Netflix is that the user profile doesn't stay automatically chosen. I find that annoying, but I find that Prime Video intermixing "free" and rentable content without a clear demarcation until you get to the paywall is more annoying. As much as I loved Top Gear (UK) I've barely even watched The Grand Tour, and I think it's because I dislike accessing their video portal… and that's despite loving their video player options, like X-Ray.

I have to agree prime video has some bugs, I have been using it on Apple TV 3 and yes you can not rent directly via the app, you have to log onto the website rent the video to allow you to watch it on the ATV. I use to access prime video on my ipad and airplayed it to the apple TV and it worked fine, however, it does seem to crash the ATV if you use the native app. I have been watching GT on prime, those guys and Amazon are still working out the dynamics at this point, hoping it gets better. I curious to see if the app works better on ATV 4K. But I heard today the prime video app for ATV is just a port of what they use on other platforms so it has issues.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    asdasd said:
    Soli said:
    maestro64 said:
    Prime is a total disaster where I live. And yes, hiding what is available or location locked until you try play is useless. 

Netflix has boat loads of stuff. 

Not necessarily true, just this past week I search to 3 movie titles, grand it they were older like Rear Window and Netflix did not have any of them, Prime and Apple both had them grant it they were rentals for $3.99. I getting tired of things use to be on Netflix and then get pulled at some point from streaming, if you want it you have to get it on DVD. I turned off the DVD subscription a long time ago.

Prime streaming had issues, especially when I accessed it on my computer or iOS device and Airplayed it over the ATV and would have all kinds of pauses and shutters. Interesting enough when I access it via the ATV native app it worked find, except if you play a couple of video on prime back to back the Prime app crashed the ATV and forces it to reboot. Netflix is have content issues and I hard it from a number of people recently so it not jut me running into the issue.

• Reply 29 of 49
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    No reason to buy Netflix. I watch Netflix on my AppleTV.  It is much easier to navigate Netflix or most other things for that part on the AppleTV than it is for me on other devices that I have that plug into the HDMI ports.  I will watch Apple Original Content on my AppleTV when it arrives and I am in no hurry.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 30 of 49
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    Soli said:
    maestro64 said:
    My only real complaint with Netflix is that the user profile doesn't stay automatically chosen.
    I find it insane that on my ATV I have to constantly select my profile — despite only having one profile! Reported but they don’t seem to think this is incredibly stupid.  
  • Reply 31 of 49
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    1983 said:
    Netflix is 10s of billions of Dollars in debt. The quality of its original programming (The Crown excepted...excellent show!) is dropping and other streaming services of late seem to be doing more interesting things. Not currently a great buy for Apple IMO.
    Netflix has a proven studio of original content and dozens of more shows coming forward. Long and deep relations with Disney Marvel Studios, etc. It's a smart buy if Apple truly wants to be a content producer for the next several decades.
    To me that’s like suggesting they needed to buy Palm to get into phones. Money is what builds a studio of content. Guess what Apple has tons of?
  • Reply 32 of 49
    Foolish speculation.  Buying Netflix would be a waste of epic proportions.  Netflix is in a very precarious position.  It is in a super competitive environment where it doesn't own most of its catalogue and has to pay increasingly high costs to license those streams as well as its "original" programming.  Most people don't realize there are no Netflix studios, only Netflix cash bidding for the "original" content that others are producing.  The trap for Netflix is that its costs are rapidly increasing, but it has limited ability to raise its prices to offset those costs.  Netflix survives on being a low cost streaming service, but as its costs are rising quickly, that model is looking increasing tenuous.   In contrast,  Amazon, Google, and now Apple can use content as a loss leader to attract folks to their platform.  To illustrate, as Amazon continues to add to its original content, its product remains free as an inducement to be a Prime subscriber.  Netflix costs are rising by billions, but it can't raise prices correspondingly without losing subscribers.  Moreover, now that Apple has been forced to enter the original content game, Apple has the cash horde to win any bidding war for content it wants and is just getting started.  

Another example of how precarious Netflix's position is, is the likely loss of Marvel and Pixar streaming rights after 2019 as Disney pushes its own streaming service.  Ouch, but that illustrates why the sharp analysts laugh at the suggestion that Apple, etc., should buy Netflix.  

No, the smart analysts have figured it out correctly, as has the smart Tim Cook, that it makes no sense to spend tens of billions for Netflix when Apple can better use that money to buy its own streaming rights and "original" content, and that's exactly what Apple is doing. 
    edited January 2018 brucemc
  • Reply 33 of 49
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    1983 said:
    I’m with Bloggerblog on this one.  Netflix has some really great content.  Don’t know what you’re smoking.

As far as Apple actually buying Netflix, the analysts are certainly smoking something as well.  I could write several pages on why this will never ever happen.  But why bother.  It’s obvious to most readers here.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    sans said:
    2. Original programing
    3. Subscribers

1) This is the least relevant reason for Apple to buy Netflix.  Apple doesn't need Netflix infrastructure/technology.  They have massive streaming and related infrastructure with iTunes, Apple Music, App Store, iCloud, etc. , that dwarfs anything that Netflix has and is necessarily much more sophisticated than Netflix tech.

2)  Netflix doesn't own the vast majority of its catalogue. Most of its content are dated catalogues that are readily available at any number of other streaming services and available to Apple as well already.  Netflix has been, and slated to lose streaming rights to much of its more desirable content, e.g., Marvel, Pixar,  in 2019, etc., as competitors like Disney set up their own streaming services. Apple can,ike Netflix, Amazon, Google, etc., all that means is they bid for the producers, etc., out there to produce content for them. Much cheaper and easier for Apple to license on its own as it currently does with iTunes and buy its own original content as they have started doing.  Apple is dropping a billion dollars its first year and as it builds out its content team, that will rapidly accelerate.  The more Netflix pays as it bids against Apple, Amazon, Google and others, the more money it is set to lose, see # 3 below.

3)  Netflix is trapped by its subscriber model.  It can't afford to raise its prices to keep pace with its rapidly escalating costs.  
  • Reply 35 of 49
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Notsofast said:
    Foolish speculation.  Buying Netflix would be a waste of epic proportions.  Netflix is in a very precarious position.  It is in a super competitive environment where it doesn't own most of its catalogue and has to pay increasingly high costs to license those streams as well as its "original" programming.  Most people don't realize there are no Netflix studios, only Netflix cash bidding for the "original" content that others are producing.  The trap for Netflix is that its costs are rapidly increasing, but it has limited ability to raise its prices to offset those costs.  Netflix survives on being a low cost streaming service, but as its costs are rising quickly, that model is looking increasing tenuous.   In contrast,  Amazon, Google, and now Apple can use content as a loss leader to attract folks to their platform.  To illustrate, as Amazon continues to add to its original content, its product remains free as an inducement to be a Prime subscriber.  Netflix costs are rising by billions, but it can't raise prices correspondingly without losing subscribers.  Moreover, now that Apple has been forced to enter the original content game, Apple has the cash horde to win any bidding war for content it wants and is just getting started.  

Another example of how precarious Netflix's position is, is the likely loss of Marvel and Pixar streaming rights after 2019 as Disney pushes its own streaming service.  Ouch, but that illustrates why the sharp analysts laugh at the suggestion that Apple, etc., should buy Netflix.  

No, the smart analysts have figured it out correctly, as has the smart Tim Cook, that it makes no sense to spend tens of billions for Netflix when Apple can better use that money to buy its own streaming rights and "original" content, and that's exactly what Apple is doing. 
    All I can say is Amazon prime is utterly hopeless where I am. The number of shows is vastly less than Netflix. The streaming stutters. It takes longer to start, bufffer and forward wind. Only x-ray is good. Netflix engineers are really good at their job. 

Netflix can double it’s prices and I would stick to it as I have abandoned cable. As for Apple’s future endeavours, I will also give that a try. Marvel - not a hope. 

I dont see these studio only efforts working. You’d have to be a fanatic to rent a channel with one studio only output. How much do they produce anyway - Pixar and Marvel. My guess is they will come running back to more generalist streaming services eventually. 
  • Reply 36 of 49
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    1983 said:
    Maybe Apple should buy 10%?just so Google doesn’t buy t them.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    maestro64 said:
    I spend more on iTunes each month (about 3 rentals), than I do for Netflix.  There’s a very good reason for this.  The content on Netflix, including virtually all of its original programming, is crap.   With what it is guessed that Apple could buy Netflix, Apple could produce, at the very least, 70 high quality, Apple only, programs worthy of awards. If Apple were to buy ANY streaming service it would be HBO, oh wait, that has already happened. 
    If Americans want high qualirlty they would watch that boring stuff on PBS.  Give them sex, action, and Special Effects.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    This sounds 100% like stock manipulation and a very successful one too, "analysts" shit out this kind of manipulative crap all day long without any consequence.
    airnerd
  • Reply 39 of 49
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I would much rather Apple spend more money and buy Disney rather then Netflix.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    ksec said:
    I would much rather Apple spend more money and buy Disney rather then Netflix.
    That would give Apple ESPN and ABC as well.  I'm a believer in "growing or dying" but that seems like Apple expanding into too many markets.  I can hear it now, when the next iphone is introduced the analyst haters saying "Apple not working on innovating phones anymore, more worried about sports".