Mystery Apple chip discovered in iMac Pro teardown not A10 Fusion coprocessor [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Guys.
    What is wrong with a MBP with an external GPU?
    Is there a reason I don’t know to why they aren’t so popular.
    Nothing, I think, and have been holding off upgrading my 2011 MBP ever since I got wind of that possibility. My current setup is an elevated 30" ACD that sits directly above/behind my MBP screen on both my home and office desks. If I can replace those with a new 2018 Apple Whatever Display and an eGPU box for it to sit on that I plug my 2018 MBP into at home and at the office, I'd be pretty excited about that. It removes the need for a full desktop machine at either location and would be cheaper (I hope — those 30" ACD's were almost $2K back in the day), and I'd be totally fine working with the internal GPU when not at either desk (which is often). If they can power a VR headset in addition, that'd be amazing.

This is my ideal upgrade path I think... but yeah the iMac Pro is meant for people who primarily do heavy lifting work in only one location — which I am not.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    What would be the size of the A10 without the GPU inside? Could it possibly be a variant of the A10 as such? I can't see how such a coprocessor would need graphics capabilities in this application.  
    garfieldtheman
  • Reply 23 of 26
    You are all looking at the wrong place guys!

If someone X-rays the T2, I am sure they will find an A10 (or A9, or A8) core configuration inside. The chip is too big to be only a secure enclave...
  • Reply 24 of 26
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

If someone X-rays the T2, I am sure they will find an A10 (or A9, or A8) core configuration inside. The chip is too big to be only a secure enclave...
    The Secure Enclave isn't the only thing the T2 does. It also does image signal processing for the camera, audio control, and SSD controller, and a hardware encryption engine. 

I can see where Apple is slowly preparing to switch something (perhaps a Mac mini?) to their own processor at some point. They can develop their own in-house chipset such as a T1 or T2 and they're getting better and better with their processors. I think this is coming very soon! This could by why the Mac mini hasn't seen an update in a while. Perhaps they're working on something like this which would obviously take some time to get right and test, and even make sure its going to be a viable 
    computer for someone. They'd also have to make sure macOS and all of Apple's other consumer apps also work with something like this. 

Maybe by the end of this year, you'll see some sort of Mac with Apple's own processor inside it. It may not necessarily be an A-Series processor, but something Apple created. 
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 25 of 26
    macxpress said:

The Secure Enclave isn't the only thing the T2 does. It also does image signal processing for the camera, audio control, and SSD controller, and a hardware encryption engine. 

I can see where Apple is slowly preparing to switch something (perhaps a Mac mini?) to their own processor at some point. They can develop their own in-house chipset such as a T1 or T2 and they're getting better and better with their processors. I think this is coming very soon! This could by why the Mac mini hasn't seen an update in a while. Perhaps they're working on something like this which would obviously take some time to get right and test, and even make sure its going to be a viable computer for someone. They'd also have to make sure macOS and all of Apple's other consumer apps also work with something like this. 

Maybe by the end of this year, you'll see some sort of Mac with Apple's own processor inside it. It may not necessarily be an A-Series processor, but something Apple created. 

Yep, I know it does those things too, but so does an A10 or A11 (minus the SSD controller, but plus the GPU).

So lets wait for that X-ray, to see if it contains any A series CPUs...
  • Reply 26 of 26
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    asdasd said:
    nhughes said:
    This may be a dumb question, but is there any way the mysterious chip could be used to basically run iOS inside or beside macOS?

This would actually be useful for me. There’s an indispensable Chinese data/reference/research tool I use that is iOS only.
    From a user perspective, I don't think we're going to see vanilla iOS apps on the Mac (though the rumor is a unified code base coming in 2018 will make it easier to port and update/enhance iOS apps for the Mac).
    That wasn’t what I took away from the rumor. It seemed to me the new initiative is to enable devs to produce universal apps in Xcode, but that the macOS targets would be 100% Mac apps and not at all an iOS app, ported or otherwise. Having a master project with different view targets (iOS, iPad, macOS, tvOS, watchOS) enables a developer to leverage the same core business objects, data layer, biz rules, classes of helper functions, etc. This doesn’t imply porting or running iOS apps on Mac any more than it suggests running watchOS apps on Mac. They’re different output targets and will have entirely unique views. Having a tool to export the iOS views to macOS is very unlikely. 
    No, the rumour was about running iOS applications on a Mac. Possibly without a recompile.  Although in the comments some people thought what you think and some people went totally off topic and thought it was about an iOS OS with a mouse. 

What you think it is is already there. You can fire up Xcode and create a project with a macOS, iOS and watchOS target, sharing code where possible. In general this means the business logic. 
    No, that's how AI framed the rumor ('iOS apps running on Mac'). Other sites, such as MR, went with a different interpretation, one I believe is much more likely -- universal app packages, shared frameworks, but not 'running iOS apps on Mac' as headlined.

Go deep with this:

https://daringfireball.net/2017/12/marzipan
    edited January 2018 fastasleep