Brazilian state says Apple refused to sign notification on iPhone battery issues

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple employees have declined to sign a notification requiring them to tell Brazilian iPhone owners how they can get discounted battery replacements, according to a state agency.

The company has 10 days to provide the information, Sao Paulo's Procon-SP explained to Reuters. The agency didn't say what penalties might apply, but it could impose fines and/or recommend legal action.

Apple recently lowered the out-of-warranty cost for iPhone battery replacements from $79 to $29 in response to controversy over its throttling of iPhones with weak batteries. The company is facing a multitude of lawsuits, often claiming that intentionally or otherwise, its policy pushes people towards buying new iPhones.

Apple has maintained that the throttling is necessary to prevent sudden shutdowns that could damage electronics, and even promised to use the technology on more devices.

The cheaper batteries are available to anyone with an iPhone 6 or later, regardless of the condition of their current hardware, but only through December of this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I have no idea what this means.
    rwesSpamSandwichMuntzmaestro64mavemufc
  • Reply 2 of 8
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    It means those employees are waiting for instructions from their superiors who will wait to hear from Apple’s legal department. They have ten days and this bullshit about fines and legal action is, well, bullshit. Apple will comply with Brazilian law, whatever it is. There’s no cover-up or conspiracy theory here.
    racerhomie3Muntzwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    They probably walked into an Apple store in Rio and asked a manager to sign something, to which they promptly said "Não".

anton zuykovwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 8
    From the Reuters link:

"Procon-SP, an agency in the state of Sao Paulo, Brazil’s richest and most populous, said in a statement it notified Apple that it has 10 days to provide the information.

The agency said Apple employees refused to sign the notification, but Procon considered the company notified."

Huh?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I just asked an employee of Apple authorized repair shop here yesterday could I get a battery replacement for my wife's iPhone 6 for announced reduced price & he said sure. And this is in SE Asia.
    So add me to the group of "no idea what this mean".
    edited January 2018 SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    YvLyYvLy Posts: 89member
    I have a friend who has a friend who works for the Government. I walked into his office the other day and asked him to sign a document assuring world peace for everybody for the next 25 years. He REFUSED to sign without asking The Man. Scandalous behaviour!
    Rayz2016randominternetpersonSpamSandwichjony0
  • Reply 7 of 8
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

I have to agree, but in South America they do so many counter intuitive things this is just par for the course.

If I had to Ventura a guess, Apple is not signing what this thing is because it probable admit fault and open Apple up to some sort of legal actions by the government, thus the reason this is news.

edited January 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    Does anyone understand the point of this? cause I don't, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what you do to get your battery replaced, visit the store or you can apply to do it online. 
    watto_cobra