Apple Music chief Jimmy Iovine expected to leave company in August

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    cgWerks said:
    fastasleep said:
    Iovine showed up at your house with a gun and forced you to sign up for Apple Music too?
    Metaphorically, yes. It was the only solution to keep the family members - with metaphorical bonfires and pitchforks - away until I can find some better solution. And, we were all quite happy with the solution we had previously until Apple wrecked it (purposely).
    What did they wreck exactly? 
    They have completely broken any respect for Albums. So "Play Later" means after the next song not after the end of the current album or previously queued music and basically the same as "Play Next"
  • Reply 42 of 60
    cgWerks said:
    fastasleep said:
    They pulled the ability to share the iTunes music collection between devices. (Aside from messing up some people's libraries and messing up the UI.)
    What, iTunes Match? That still exists outside of Apple Music. Home Sharing? Still works for me. Local iTunes syncing? Still works for me. What do you mean?
  • Reply 43 of 60
    mattinoz said:
    cgWerks said:
    fastasleep said:
    Iovine showed up at your house with a gun and forced you to sign up for Apple Music too?
    Metaphorically, yes. It was the only solution to keep the family members - with metaphorical bonfires and pitchforks - away until I can find some better solution. And, we were all quite happy with the solution we had previously until Apple wrecked it (purposely).
    They have completely broken any respect for Albums. So "Play Later" means after the next song not after the end of the current album or previously queued music and basically the same as "Play Next"
    Not true. I just added an album to Up Next and then went to another album and hit Play Later, and it added the whole album after the album that was already in the queue. Then went to another album and hit Play Next, and it added that album to the front of the queue. 

So, what did Iovine do to break iTunes again? Without making stuff up. 
  • Reply 44 of 60
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    fastasleep said:
    What, iTunes Match? That still exists outside of Apple Music. Home Sharing? Still works for me. Local iTunes syncing? Still works for me. What do you mean?
    iTunes Match costs money, as does Apple Music. Home Sharing no longer allows devices to download from the shared iTunes library.
    Apple forced us to buy one of the two, and we went with Apple Music as it does more than just restore previous capability.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    cgWerks said:
    fastasleep said:
    iTunes Match costs money, as does Apple Music. Home Sharing no longer allows devices to download from the shared iTunes library.
    Apple forced us to buy one of the two, and we went with Apple Music as it does more than just restore previous capability.
    Not sure what you mean. You can still share content between various iTunes libraries using Home Sharing and the same Apple ID on multiple Macs, or stream to your other devices. Family Sharing also lets you share content among family members. What's the problem?
  • Reply 46 of 60
    fastasleep said:
    Not sure what you mean. You can still share content between various iTunes libraries using Home Sharing and the same Apple ID on multiple Macs, or stream to your other devices. Family Sharing also lets you share content among family members. What's the problem?
    But, you can't DL via the Family Sharing, or I think they called it Home Sharing, content to those other computers or devices. (Which you could do previously.)
    If you can't do that, then it's only an in-home streaming kind of thing and useless for updating your library for when you're not a home.
    The only way to regain that functionality, was to subscribe to Apple Music or iTunes Match. And, if you think they didn't do that purposely, I've got this bridge...
  • Reply 47 of 60
    Bottom line, though... my music, movie, and photo collections were in much better shape 10 years ago than they are today. And, subscribing to Apple Music aside, the solutions are pretty poor and/or poorly implemented. (Apple Music is OK, with some benefits my family enjoys, but the overall UI/UX and music collection management is much worse.)
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 48 of 60
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    mattinoz said:
    cgWerks said:
    fastasleep said:
    Not true. I just added an album to Up Next and then went to another album and hit Play Later, and it added the whole album after the album that was already in the queue. Then went to another album and hit Play Next, and it added that album to the front of the queue. 

So, what did Iovine do to break iTunes again? Without making stuff up. 
    Ok let's try this again after a reinstall.....
    Apologies working again as expected.
  • Reply 49 of 60
    cgWerks said:
    fastasleep said:
    But, you can't DL via the Family Sharing, or I think they called it Home Sharing, content to those other computers or devices. (Which you could do previously.)
    If you can't do that, then it's only an in-home streaming kind of thing and useless for updating your library for when you're not a home.
    The only way to regain that functionality, was to subscribe to Apple Music or iTunes Match. And, if you think they didn't do that purposely, I've got this bridge...
    Family Sharing and Home Sharing are two entirely different things.

With Home Sharing, you always could and still can transfer media from one iTunes library to another on various Macs that are all signed in with your same Apple ID. So another Mac that is also on the same account can grab albums/playlists/etc across your home network and copy them to your local library. That has not changed as far as I am aware. You can share your library for streaming with anyone else on your network as well. You've never been able to copy media to an iOS device from a Home Sharing library on a Mac to the best of my knowledge, you've always had to sync directly with a library on a specific Mac.

Family Sharing is for sharing purchased content among your family members, so when you buy a book or album or whatever, any member of your family can download it to their device. 

I think you're confused.

So tell me again how Iovine held a gun to your head and forced you to sign up for Apple Music.
  • Reply 50 of 60
    fastasleep said:

With Home Sharing, you always could and still can transfer media from one iTunes library to another on various Macs that are all signed in with your same Apple ID. So another Mac that is also on the same account can grab albums/playlists/etc across your home network and copy them to your local library. That has not changed as far as I am aware. You can share your library for streaming with anyone else on your network as well. You've never been able to copy media to an iOS device from a Home Sharing library on a Mac to the best of my knowledge, you've always had to sync directly with a library on a specific Mac.

Family Sharing is for sharing purchased content among your family members, so when you buy a book or album or whatever, any member of your family can download it to their device. 

I think you're confused.

So tell me again how Iovine held a gun to your head and forced you to sign up for Apple Music.
    Unfortunately, it would be hard for me to test, but that's not how I remember it. I'm pretty sure I used to pull music from my Home Sharing on my iPad. I'd have to test the computer to computer, but I thought that went away as well (something changed, as my wife was complaining about it not working).... I currently just have one Mac of my own, so I don't do the Mac to Mac personally any more. (i.e.: what I was doing stopped working after an iTunes/OS update.)

But, yes, Apple pulled the functionality at some version along the iTunes chain, as I and others were upset about it. Apple Music (and iTunes Match) were the suggested fixes.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 51 of 60
    cgWerks said:
    fastasleep said:

I think you're confused.

Unfortunately, it would be hard for me to test, but that's not how I remember it. I'm pretty sure I used to pull music from my Home Sharing on my iPad. I'd have to test the computer to computer, but I thought that went away as well (something changed, as my wife was complaining about it not working).... I currently just have one Mac of my own, so I don't do the Mac to Mac personally any more. (i.e.: what I was doing stopped working after an iTunes/OS update.)

But, yes, Apple pulled the functionality at some version along the iTunes chain, as I and others were upset about it. Apple Music (and iTunes Match) were the suggested fixes.
    You can stream stuff to your iOS device via Home Sharing, but I don't believe there was ever a way to actually transfer media files to one. I'm not aware of any way you could ever get music from iTunes into your iOS device without adding through a paired iTunes Library on a Mac, but if you manually manage your Music on your device with iTunes, there's no reason you couldn't drag stuff from any number of your Macs in your house to the iTunes your device syncs with, and manually add any music you like. 

You can definitely still share media files between Macs signed into the same Apple ID and Store login using Home Sharing. The interface may have changed, but the feature is still there. The links below don't go into much detail on how to do this, but I found other threads with people figuring out how to do this in iTunes 12.x and the main issue people had was not being signed in to the same account on both Macs. After that, they'd simply be able to grab and drag files to their Library.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201779
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202190

You were never allowed to copy files from one shared library on one Mac to another Mac signed in under a different Apple ID, except by using 3rd party workaround tools (MyTunes being one I recall, there were others). 

So I'm really not sure what feature you're talking about.  iTunes Match and then Apple Music have been the suggested "fix" for issues like this because people don't generally want to manually manage their music libraries on their mobile devices. You might be an exception, but the obvious goal is to move away from all of that nonsense. I don't see any removed functionality here though. Please correct me if I'm missing something though, I honestly would like to know.
  • Reply 52 of 60
    fastasleep said:
    Please correct me if I'm missing something though, I honestly would like to know.
    It's been too long for me to remember the details. But, what we were doing was working fine for us as a family (yes, we were sharing an Apple ID for purchases and music... as that was the only way for a long time). Apple changed things, and we went looking for solutions. Finding none, we finally decided to just solve it by subscribing to Apple Music and setting up separate IDs with Family Sharing, etc.

Here's an article that touches on it a bit, but doesn't go into much detail:
    https://www.cnet.com/news/itunes-users-hit-stumbling-blocks-with-arrival-of-apple-music/
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 53 of 60
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    cgWerks said:
    fastasleep said:

I think you're confused.

This is how Home Sharing always worked, and still does work, for me, though I never tried to transfer media from one Mac to another with it.

I was never able to download media to an iOS device or Apple TV with Home Sharing. But I could stream to those devices from the iTunes library on my Mac. And I can still do that.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 54 of 60
    carnegie said:
    I was never able to download media to an iOS device or Apple TV with Home Sharing. But I could stream to those devices from the iTunes library on my Mac. And I can still do that.
    I can't really go back to check, but I'm like 99% sure I was able to browse my Mac iTunes 'Home Sharing' library from my iPad and pull tracks local. Maybe you guys aren't thinking far enough back?
  • Reply 55 of 60
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    cgWerks said:
    carnegie said:
    I can't really go back to check, but I'm like 99% sure I was able to browse my Mac iTunes 'Home Sharing' library from my iPad and pull tracks local. Maybe you guys aren't thinking far enough back?
    That's possible. I can't speak to what others were able to do and don't know what might account for differences, but I wouldn't dismiss the possibility that there could have been (experienced) differences.

My use goes back to around 2010. I was using Home Sharing until iTunes Match became available (and for some things until I started using Plex a couple years ago). Since then I don't have much use for Home Sharing, but I do occasionally use it and best I can tell it works more or less the way it did (for me) before.
  • Reply 56 of 60
    cgWerks said:
    fastasleep said:
    Please correct me if I'm missing something though, I honestly would like to know.
    It's been too long for me to remember the details. But, what we were doing was working fine for us as a family (yes, we were sharing an Apple ID for purchases and music... as that was the only way for a long time). Apple changed things, and we went looking for solutions. Finding none, we finally decided to just solve it by subscribing to Apple Music and setting up separate IDs with Family Sharing, etc.

Here's an article that touches on it a bit, but doesn't go into much detail:
    https://www.cnet.com/news/itunes-users-hit-stumbling-blocks-with-arrival-of-apple-music/
    Okay, so — it went away with Apple Music in iOS 8.4, but within *days* Eddy Cue told someone it'd come back in iOS 9, and it did (It never stopped working between Macs):
    https://www.siliconrepublic.com/play/apple-home-sharing-for-music-to-ios9-return-apple-music
  • Reply 57 of 60

cgWerks said:
    carnegie said:
    I'm thinking all the way back and really don't think you could ever actually copy music via Home Sharing to my iPhone or iPad. I used Home Sharing to stream stuff all the time, but it was a little wonky with my ginormous library where it'd take forever to load each time. I always found Remote to be a better way to play stuff on my Mac's library. 

But as far back as I can recall, the only way to get media onto an iOS device was with one of the many 3rd party workaround tools to bypass iTunes.
  • Reply 58 of 60
    fastasleep said:
    Okay, so — it went away with Apple Music in iOS 8.4, but within *days* Eddy Cue told someone it'd come back in iOS 9, and it did (It never stopped working between Macs):
    It was probably streaming that was restored, not downloading. But, as I said above, I'm like 99% sure I could download tracks locally on my iPad via Home Sharing.
  • Reply 59 of 60
    cgWerks said:
    fastasleep said:
    It was probably streaming that was restored, not downloading. But, as I said above, I'm like 99% sure I could download tracks locally on my iPad via Home Sharing.
    Yes, it was streaming that was restored. I just looked this up, and iOS 4.3 was the first version of iOS to support Home Sharing alongside iTunes 9, and that only streamed, not downloaded or synced, to iOS. So, you're mistaken, sorry — and apparently mad at Jimmy Iovine about taking away a feature that never existed. :)
    edited January 2018