Shareholders ask Apple to study impact of iPhone addiction on young users

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    arlomedia said:
    I don't think anyone has mentioned that a number of third-party parental controls apps already exist. However, I've evaluated most of them and used some of them, and none of them offer the level of control I'd like to have for my teenager. This is largely because of security/privacy restrictions built into iOS. Comparable parental controls apps for Android offer more options. So it would be great to see Apple either offer more options with its built-in Restrictions settings, or create a process for third-party developers to assume more control of the device, probably as one of the Restrictions options.

And yes, being a consistent parent and setting a good example are most important, but good tools can help. As noted by others here, it's silly to embrace all kinds of software tools for streamlining all aspects of our lives, but then reject any parenting related tools on the grounds that parents should just do their jobs. By the way, the vast majority of parents I know who don't provide any structure for device or online use probably aren't going to use parental controls tools, either. These tools are going to be used by parents who are already doing the work and are looking for tools to make it easier.
    You nailed it.  I expect that a great, intuitive parental controls architecture for iOS would be challenging to create and most people wouldn't use it, BUT millions of parents would appreciate exactly that.  Parents love to worry about how to do the right thing for their kids (or at least many parents do).  Literally a couple of weeks ago a colleague asked me (as a techie and an iPhone user) how I control my kids screen time and what they can access on their devices.  I didn't have a good answer to the former except something about "set a timer and enforce it."  Someone else chimed in that they had great, simple parental controls on their device (a Amazon tablet maybe).  This is just anecdotal "evidence" of course, but it logically makes sense that parents would value features of this type. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 42 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Absolutely asinine.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Absolutely asinine.
    How so?
    Apple has already started down that road with parental controls and Do Not Disturb While Driving.  So this isn't a new idea.  But, quite obviously there are missing pieces and currently the burden falls entirely on parents to insure, for instance, that their kid hasn't waited till they go to bed to start communicating with the little friend that they met on social media.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    r1skor1sko Posts: 30member

I am truly puzzled by this intense uproar of the best parents on planet earth. Why is asking for parenting tools and controls making those who can afford to give their kids iPhones bad parents? You know we have parenting controls on macOS…. 

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 45 of 45
    All the people saying "He can have an iPad but not an iPhone" -- as if there was some inherent difference in how they can be used and abused cracks me up....

I suspect it dates back to when you either had a "cell phone" or nothing.   So, cell phones became toxic to parents -- who now buy their kid an iPad while he's in grade school or earlier and think nothing of it.

I don't know about the others, but just to clarify my stand, the kids can have an iPad because it is large enough for me to make sure I know when they are using it.

They cannot take it out of the house without being accompanied by me.

An iPhone is easier to smuggle out and it is a little more difficult to monitor usage on it.

As far as addiction is concerned, yes, there is no difference between the 2. It's just that handing the kids an iPad is easier for me to monitor them.