Intel's new G-series processors includes AMD Radeon RX Vega M onboard graphics

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,289member
    I’m just wondering if Apple is about to make the leap away from both companies. They have been saying for a while that the A series of processors are desktop class and the graphic cores are more and more powerful. As an example the A9X in my iPad Pro has no issues running sim city but run the same thing on my MacBook Pro 13inch (2017), and thing get warm and a bit jurky, the same is true with my 2013 quad core i7 MacBook Pro with dedicated Nvidia chip with 2gb of ram. Just saying an AMD/intel collaboration just seems odd as they compete on CPUs, 

Or Go for an Apple/Intel collaboration using all the same chip packaging system.
    Apple Ai Chip Series  Little cores, GPU, image processor, AI core and platform parts of of A11 and beyond.
    Custom Scheduler and Interface to deal with the Big Cores being stock Intel x86 units.

Still back to topic....
    Why bother having Intel Graphics in these things?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 24
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    The Mac Mini doesn't have to be as mini as it currently is.
    Make it bigger and put faster parts in it.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    GG1 said:
    macxpress said:
    GG1 said:
    entropys said:
    There are reasons why the crippled current Mac mini doesn’t sell. It’s limitations are so strange you would have to think they were deliberate. As the original post said, the 2012 version is a better machine.

These days if if you want a useful little desktop you go for a nuc.

anyway, these chips are more likely MBP and iMac.
    I got a 2012 Mini and love it EXCEPT for the crappy Intel graphics. That's why I'd like an updated Mini with this multi-chip or at least with TB3 (for eGPU) - to hold off graphics obsolescence (since I keep Apple hardware 5+ years).

After writing this, I realize what I really need/want is a poor man's Mac Pro. I doubt Apple want to go in that direction.
    I use a mid-2012 Mac Pro tower as my main Mac. Paid about $1000 for it a couple years ago. It already had 16GB of RAM which is plenty for me. I stick an NVIDIA GeForce 970 in it which yes, is missing the boot screen support, but I still have the ATI Radeon 5770 that came in it below the NVIDIA card so if I ever need boot screen support I can quickly swap over to that card and then swap back to the NVIDIA card. I added a USB 3.0 PCIe card for whenever I need USB 3 which isn't often, but it was fairly cheap and works natively on the Mac. I have 2 SSD's in the hard drive bays and 2 1TB 7200 RPM hard drives in the other 2 bays. It works well for my needs and I game with it all the time without any issues at all. For any Windows games, I just boot into Windows using BootCamp and its been perfectly fine. 
    A quick check of eBay, MacSales, etc. shows that the price hasn't really decreased below $1000 (I looked at 2012 models). I guess there's still a lot of value/demand in these upgradeable ones.
    It is a Mac...its not going to plummet in value like a Windows PC does. 
  • Reply 24 of 24
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member

netrox said:
    hodar said:

Put this in a Mac Mini, and make some very minor tweaks - and Apple will sell Mac Mini's at a rate that they cannot keep up with supply.

1)  DIMM Slots - again, just like the 2012 and earlier versions.  Allow the user to add memory.

2)  SATA Connector(s) - allow the user to add a second hard drive, or SDD, or simply add two SDD's, again; just like the 2012 and earlier versions.

The Mac Mini is a small inexpensive INTRODUCTION to the Apple computer environment, it sports no monitor and is just a small form factor, desktop Mac.  The sad fact is that the 2012 Mac Mini with some very inexpensive upgrades will stop the living bejezus out of the top-of the line Mac Mini that is sold today.  Given the money, I will buy the 6 year old Mac Mini - as USED - before I would consider the current stock of Mac Mini's sold at Apple.

This is a chance for Apple to not only refresh the aging Mac Mini; but to also make some inroads against Windows (Mr. Cook, you do remember MSFT, don't you?)

Just no. A Mac mini shouldn't even have any legacy ports. Just pure Thunderbolt 3 to support all popular protocols. It should encourage people to buy devices with USB 3.1 Type C or TB3. Come think of it - even a regular power cable will be history since USB 3.1 Type C can support up to 100W. A mini should strive for minimalism.
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if the next gen Mac mini is about the size of the current AppleTV. Maybe slightly wider to accommodate more cooling and I/O, probably not much taller at all. Still looking to see if Apple uses one of their own CPU's instead of Intel. 

It would certainly piss a lot of people off if Apple did the USB-C only ports, not even a network jack. OMG, people will riot. Steve will be rolling in his grave! Tim will be fired! That being said, I hope Apple does just this. Pushes technology forward, even if people go kicking and screaming. Otherwise, we'll never get off legacy I/O. 
    edited January 2018