Ad firms losing 'hundreds of millions' after Apple clamps down on Safari tracking

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    lkrupp said:
    But NOBODY uses Safari! We hear that daily on this site and others. Safari sucks, Chrome rulez. Even Firefox is better than Safari. No one and and I mean NO ONE uses Safari as their browser so why would ad companies be losing money because of a browser nobody uses? 

Or could it be that the nerd herd, techie wannabes who make those pronouncements are the real outliers, the clueless wonders who just like to be negative by trashing anything Apple?
    I only ever use Safari and Safari Preview. Since 2010 when I trashed Chrome, Firefox, et al, and changed the e-mail address I use exclusively when registering and/or requesting data via websites I have not received a single SPAM e-mail. Not one.
    FWIW I haven't rec'd a single Spam email on Gmail either in at least a couple of years. TBH I don't know that I've EVER seen a spam email there and I use Chrome on every computer and device we run so the browser doesn't seem to be the protecting factor. Of the four email accounts I have only the GMail one is actually highly effective at keeping away the junk stuff
  • Reply 62 of 67
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    If guerrilla advertisers are against it, then even armed with no more information than that...I'm for it.   
    kingofsomewherehotwatto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 67
    Anybody should all be able to opt out of tracking, but what if the consumer wants to opt in when preparing to purchase something? Usually I see ads as a nuisance, but recently, just prior to buying a car, I found the tracking ads useful. Perhaps every ad should have a button where the consumer could opt in, and provide either general areas of interest, i.e. "travel", but especially with the ability to submit key words, like "Rio", etc. Seems like a real missed opportunity for the ad agencies. They need to open communication with the consumer, and be a tool, not a nuisance. And for privacy, they should delete or anonymize the specific ad requests when the consumer resets their preferences.
    The problem is that the trackers are so stupid. The "targeted" ads I see are all for the exact items I've already looked at. For example, I recently looked at a TV on BestBuy.ca. I keep seeing ads for Best Buy showing the exact model of TV I looked at. Same with stuff I've browsed on B&H's site. This is utterly pointless, because I've already actively considered that product. Either I already bought it or decided it's not what I want. Either way, showing it to me again is a waste of the advertiser's money.

The fact that I still see such ads suggests to me that Safari isn't particularly aggressive about blocking tracking.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 67
    but safari users are a minority. and there are more android mobile and windoze desktop and laptop devices out there. do ad firms only publish on apple platforms?
    Obviously not, but even if it is a minority, its still a loss for them now Apple have put a stopped to it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 67
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Fantastic!  Thank you Apple.  

There should have been regulations preventing tracking other than when one is on a particular website and then, only by that company unless the user gives specific permission otherwise, which should have to be renewed on a regular basis.   

I don't have a problem being tracked if I click on an ad and am taken to a site where either I purchase or not, but as soon as I close the window of that site, the tracking should end (by the ad agency).   

I think current practices may do more harm than good for the advertisers involved.  I get so annoyed seeing ads for a site that  I happened to go to once that I never click on the ad.  If I go back to the site at all, I do so by entering the URL.   
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 67
    lkrupp said:
    But NOBODY uses Safari! We hear that daily on this site and others. Safari sucks, Chrome rulez. Even Firefox is better than Safari. No one and and I mean NO ONE uses Safari as their browser so why would ad companies be losing money because of a browser nobody uses? 

Or could it be that the nerd herd, techie wannabes who make those pronouncements are the real outliers, the clueless wonders who just like to be negative by trashing anything Apple?
    I use Safari. Actually that is the only web browser I use. So I would not say no one uses Safari. There are people who use Safari, but maybe it just not popular as Chrome or Firefox. I have tried Chrome and Firefox, but personally for me I prefer Safari.