FBI director reignites 'not so clean cut' encryption debate

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    Lets just say that in the near future all financial transactions will be accomplished using you mobile device and now the FBI wants to have a key that they can use whenever they see a need. All I can see is global financial destruction once the key is stolen, so the answer is NO!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Soli said:
    urahara said:
    It was said many times already.
    Crimanls will always find the way to keep secrets. Especially because there are many encryption tools on the market.
    But us, law abiding citizens, will be left without any easily accessable privacy protection. We just don't take enough time to be interested in it. And we get burned.
    But goverment wants to control us.
    F.. them.
    If you outlaw encryption then only outlaws will have encryption.

That's the way they want it.  Because then they can prosecute those "outlaws" simply for having encryption, even if they've done nothing wrong.

It's like that law in, I think, Ohio, that makes it illegal to have a secret compartment in your car, even if you don't have anything illegal in the car.  Even if you don't know about it, it's a crime to even have one.

They want us all to be criminals, so they can hold punishment over our heads.  All.  The.  Time.

muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 26
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

There is a simple solution to this, a law already exist, get warrant from a court and compel the person of interest to turn over the un-encrypted device and when they do not hold them in contempt of court and if they still do not turn it over, put them in jail and keep them there until they comply.

The FBI is upset about this since prior to end to end encryption they could get access to information if they wanted. In the past they would go to the phone companies and such and request the information and got it. Today the phone company are just a fat dump pipe and have no access to your information especially if you are encrypting your information.

What really drives them crazy is they believe information they want exist and it just out of reach, and they can not force you to tell the. It is like you burying something in the woods and only you know where it is, and the FIB thinks you buried something and they just want you to tell them where it is. The funny things is their is a law which says you are not require to tell them anything and they are not allow to use any method they like to get it out of your head. They can ask but that is the extent of it. I personally feel if you encrypted something it like information locked in your head, only you have the right to let it out and share it.

• Reply 24 of 26
    mac_128 said:
    Oh brother. One idiot leaves, the next idiot comes in. Federal Bureau of Incomprehension.
    Yes, but now the idiot who appointed him will support him with endless tweet storms encouraging boycotts of products for any company who doesn't comply, or worse invoke economic sanctions on the company.
    And I’m sure you loudly voiced your displeasure with the previous idiots who occupied the White House and Congress, since they laid all the groundwork for the state of affairs we have today?
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 25 of 26
    metrix said:
    Lets just say that in the near future all financial transactions will be accomplished using you mobile device and now the FBI wants to have a key that they can use whenever they see a need. All I can see is global financial destruction once the key is stolen, so the answer is NO!

Use cash. And when cash is made illegal, use your head and leave the declining Roman Empire. We’re not there yet.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 26 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    "I just do not buy the claim that it is impossible", wow, another government servant skipped math class in college. Let me get it straight, you just do not buy the claim that it is impossible to make 1 + 1 = 3? Maybe we can copy what the Chinese government did: require every company submit a copy of their digital keys to the government.
    Which shows that it is possible even for Apple, particularly if the rules fall on the wrong side of "Profit!"
    edited January 2018 muthuk_vanalingam