Intel CEO issues 'security-first pledge' following Meltdown, Spectre exploits

Posted:
in General Discussion
In an open letter released on Thursday, Intel chief Brian Krzanich outlined the company's response to the Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities while reassuring customers that his company views security as "an ongoing priority."

Seeking to make peace with members of the global technology industry in the wake of one of the most serious security lapses in recent memory, Krzanich wrote that the chip giant has adopted a three-pronged approach to security that includes renewed commitments to transparency and communication.

"Our customers' security is an ongoing priority, not a one-time event," he added. "To accelerate the security of the entire industry, we commit to publicly identify significant security vulnerabilities following rules of responsible disclosure and, further, we commit to working with the industry to share hardware innovations that will accelerate industry-level progress in dealing with side-channel attacks."

Intel expects to issue patches for every CPU released in the last five years by the end of January, with 90 percent of those coming by January 15, according to the letter.

Krzanich added that Intel views collaboration within the industry as the best way to mitigate current threats and avoid future problems.

"The bottom line is that continued collaboration will create the fastest and most effective approaches to restoring customer confidence in the security of their data. This is what we all want and are striving to achieve," the note reads.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Hmmm... forget OS level encryption etc.

reeks of Obama era (but started in Bush's final year) PRISM tactics. Bypass the OEMs and get your backdoor built into the chip!
    edited January 2018 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 10
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    We know Intel will do what is right like Apple. Intel is powerhouse in semiconductor industry and will stay that way for long time. Smart people buy Intel stock on dip.
    edited January 2018 dewme
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Hopefully you do better Intel.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    So why did Intel CEO Brian Krzanich sell a large chunk of his stock In November 2017 AFTER the company already knew about massive security flaws in June 2017?
    Can we trust anything he says?

• An SEC filing last November showed Krzanich sold off about 644,000 shares by exercising his options and another roughly 245,700 shares he already owned
    • That reduced Krzanich's total number of shares to 250,000, which is the bare minimum that an Intel CEO should own

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/04/intel-ceo-reportedly-sold-shares-after-the-company-already-knew-about-massive-security-flaws.html

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/01/intel-ceos-sale-of-stock-just-before-security-bug-reveal-raises-questions/
    brian green
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    wood1208 said:
    We know Intel will do what is right like Apple. Intel is powerhouse in semiconductor industry and will stay that way for long time. Smart people buy Intel stock on dip.
    And insiders, like the Intel CEO, dump their stock before making bad news public. 
    hhaggis
  • Reply 6 of 10
    How long have intel really known about this?. Did they know at the start and do what any big company do, apologise if or when the problem(s) were found out?.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    How long until Apple can produce their own computer grade chips?

I have lost trust in this company.

>:x
  • Reply 8 of 10
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    I love how he talks about how 'we' are addressing and fixing, etc. No, all their partners like Apple, Microsoft, etc. are fixing it. It's hardware... Intel isn't fixing anything.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    wood1208 said:
    Their stock has been a dog for more than a decade. I should know! I don’t know which stock “smart” investors are buying today (actually, I think the high-risk/high-return crowd is all betting on cryptocurrencies these days), but it’s not Intel.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    SpamSandwich said:
    Their stock has been a dog for more than a decade. I should know! I don’t know which stock “smart” investors are buying today (actually, I think the high-risk/high-return crowd is all betting on cryptocurrencies these days), but it’s not Intel.
    Depends whether they are investors or gamblers. Most of the hoopla we hear about is in the latter category.