Facebook Messenger bug causing iPhone freezes when typing

Posted:
in iPhone
Some people using Facebook Messenger on iOS devices are finding themselves unable to type more than a few words in a single line before the app freezes, according to reports.

There appears to be no stopgap solution for affected people, as closing and reopening the app makes no difference, and even deleting and reinstalling may do nothing, TechCrunch observed on Thursday. Users encountering the bug are therefore having to spread sentences across several lines or switch to another messaging platform.

Facebook is reportedly investigating the glitch, but has no other information to offer at the moment.

Any such bug is critical not just for Facebook but for the general public, since Messenger has over 1 billion users, many of whom are on iPhones or iPads and/or may depend on it for daily communication.

Facebook recently promised to pare down the the Messenger app. Over the years the app has become increasingly cluttered because of features such as bots, audio and video calls, and even the ability to play simple games.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Let’s see how much negative press facebook gets other than, of course, it’s an Apple problem. 
    lkruppStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    This is all Apple’s fault, right?
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I’m delighted to report I’ve never used their app and feel no pressure whatsoever to join Facebook.
    racerhomie3cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    I’m delighted to report I’ve never used their app and feel no pressure whatsoever to join Facebook.
    Exactly! Avoid Facebook software like the plague.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    lkrupp said:
    This is all Apple’s fault, right?
    Almost certainly. It has nothing to do with bad coding practices at Facebook, or the fact that a simple messaging app is 126MB (with the main Facebook app at 249MB).
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    anome said:
    Almost certainly. It has nothing to do with bad coding practices at Facebook, or the fact that a simple messaging app is 126MB (with the main Facebook app at 249MB).
    I've never understood the attraction to Facebook. The coding is horrible. The user-interface is horrible. And, in terms of a discussion/forum type system (which is what it's trying to be), the BBSs even before the public Internet were far superior.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    cgWerks said:
    anome said:
    I've never understood the attraction to Facebook. The coding is horrible. The user-interface is horrible. And, in terms of a discussion/forum type system (which is what it's trying to be), the BBSs even before the public Internet were far superior.
    Without getting into the merit of FB, I'm not sure you understand what FB is. It is nothing like a forum or an old BBS. Forums are forums and need no explanation. The may BBSes I used back in the day were virtual places which included forums but also teleconference, games, files, etc. FB is different than all of that. It's a feed of the "timelines" of all your subscribed friends. A timeline is an ongoing list of statuses or messages ("I like pancakes!"). So your feed is an infinitely scrolling list of the latest status posts of those friend. Any item in a timeline can be commented on on given likes/feedback emoji. One of the biggest appeals of FB is a photo album component, which when uploaded to shows up in your timeline and thus your friends & family's feeds. It's an easy way for them to keep current on a vacation or project your documenting. A calendar component lists events your friends & family have organized or invited you to.

There really is no "forums" component of long-form discussion threads as found here and elsewhere. There are no virtual rooms or sections to FB like on BBSes. The main UI is the infinitely scrolling feed.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    StrangeDays said:
    Without getting into the merit of FB, I'm not sure you understand what FB is. It is nothing like a forum or an old BBS. Forums are forums and need no explanation. The may BBSes I used back in the day were virtual places which included forums but also teleconference, games, files, etc. FB is different than all of that. It's a feed of the "timelines" of all your subscribed friends. A timeline is an ongoing list of statuses or messages ("I like pancakes!"). So your feed is an infinitely scrolling list of the latest status posts of those friend. Any item in a timeline can be commented on on given likes/feedback emoji. One of the biggest appeals of FB is a photo album component, which when uploaded to shows up in your timeline and thus your friends & family's feeds. It's an easy way for them to keep current on a vacation or project your documenting. A calendar component lists events your friends & family have organized or invited you to.

There really is no "forums" component of long-form discussion threads as found here and elsewhere. There are no virtual rooms or sections to FB like on BBSes. The main UI is the infinitely scrolling feed.
    Yea, I get this... I just have little use for those aspects. Twitter (or other social media systems) do that much better (i.e. timeline).

A lot of people do try to get into discussions on FB, or even setup 'Groups' for that purpose. My comment was more directed at that, as FB absolutely sucks for that kind of communication.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    cgWerks said:
    StrangeDays said:

Yea, I get this... I just have little use for those aspects. Twitter (or other social media systems) do that much better (i.e. timeline).

A lot of people do try to get into discussions on FB, or even setup 'Groups' for that purpose. My comment was more directed at that, as FB absolutely sucks for that kind of communication.

Yeah, it sucks for that kind of communication, but everybody you know and/or care about is on there, and many of them don't know or care that there are better options. I'd stick to message boards and IRC, except that there are people I want to stay in contact with who aren't on any. So, I need to stick to Facebook until the next thing comes along to replace it.

• Reply 10 of 11
    anome said:
    Yeah, it sucks for that kind of communication, but everybody you know and/or care about is on there, and many of them don't know or care that there are better options. I'd stick to message boards and IRC, except that there are people I want to stay in contact with who aren't on any. So, I need to stick to Facebook until the next thing comes along to replace it.
    Yes, I have a Facebook account that I connect with some friends and relatives that I don't have other modes of contact with.

Like you say, just by virtue that they are there, it's a way to connect even if it's not very good at it. It is also somewhat good for targeted marketing (compared to some other mass marketing methods) if you have the money to spend and do it right. That is its true purpose (i.e.: gather a ton of people, extract as much info as possible, and sell them to marketers).

I just know too many people (and even companies) who rely on it for their communication and interaction, etc. ... and I'm like... why would you pick the worst tool for it? The only redeeming quality seems to be that idea that 'everyone is there.' Kind of a low bar, but I suppose.

The problem with that is that Facebook also calls all the shots, so just about when you've got your 'community' running well, they might just pull the rug in some way. Everyone was on MySpace too, and Vine, and ...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    cgWerks said:
    anome said:

Sounds like the very definition of hell!
    cgWerks