Apple Macintosh logo by Andy Warhol goes up for auction, valued up to $30K

Posted:
in General Discussion
A rare piece of art history is now up for sale in the form of an Apple Macintosh logo painted and signed by pop artist Andy Warhol.

Thought its exact raison d'etre is unknown, the work may be a color study for an Apple advertising commission, according to Woodshed Art Auctions. It consists of gouache on 8-by-8-inch paper, "float" mounted in a frame with archival corners and no adhesives touching the art itself. It was painted around 1985, just two years before Warhol's death.

The piece is said to be in "very good condition," with an estimated worth of $20,000 to $30,000. Online bids are currently in progress with a $5,000 minimum.

Live bidding will start Feb. 1 at 5:30 p.m. Eastern time.

Warhol was famous for trying to bridge the gap between "high" art and pop culture, creating works with imagery of celebrities and branded products. Much of his early career was in advertising and marketing.

A similar Mac-themed Warhol canvas painting recently sold for $910,000 through Sotheby's, but the latest piece is both smaller and on less durable material.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    I'm surprised it's only a $20 to $30,000 estimate.   Seems to me a Warhol piece about Apple would be worth much more. 
    xzu
  • Reply 2 of 6
    That is the most beautiful and/or creative, inspiring piece, ever.  Said no one. 

Bizarre that it's worth more than a nice car, but it's worth it because other people are willing to pay for it, so there you go.  I expect whoever buys it will be able to sell it for a nice profit in the future, 'cause he ain't making any more.
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 3 of 6
    That is the most beautiful and/or creative, inspiring piece, ever.  Said no one. 

Bizarre that it's worth more than a nice car, but it's worth it because other people are willing to pay for it, so there you go.  I expect whoever buys it will be able to sell it for a nice profit in the future, 'cause he ain't making any more.
    Perhaps visit The Warhol in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania for an afternoon of Andy's creations. There you will see that Andy, like so many artists, had a flair for the absurd. Andy was not untalented. In fact, he was quite the visionary and a very fine draughtsman, to boot. Enjoy! 
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Pittsburgh, PA
  • Reply 5 of 6

Isn’t stuff always always worth what people are willing to pay for it?
  • Reply 6 of 6

I agree with you, though none of Warhol's work has ever appealed to me.

But much of what we call "art" is subjective, and means different things to different people, and that's a good thing.  For me personally, art has to make me feel something, good or bad, and Warhol's stuff just doesn't.