Apple's 8 years of iPad: a revolution in iOS computing

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    The article says:
    "A primary reason why analysts are so frequently wrong about Apple is that they look at the company through the distorted lens of the status quo, expressed in the generally unsuccessful (either by lack of ambition or giddy credulity) new product attempts of its rivals, or the basic commodity offerings they've been selling on a runway that leads toward lethal price erosion. "

And THEN the article goes on to do exactly that!   Stating that an iPad is just a big iPod Touch and suggesting that it can never be anything else...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Then it digs the hole a little deeper with:
    "iPad was broadly seen as a failed attempt to replace the Mac, something it doesn't attempt to do, and which would be foolish for Apple to aspire to do."

What's that?
    How does Apple's latest iPad commercial end?  Isn't something like:  "WHAT'S A LAPTOP?"
    The article bases its argument on iPads competing, overtaking and becoming Macs.   But Macs have such a tiny market segment, why would they bother?  Instead, they're quite obviously and explicitly going after the Mac's biggest competitor:  laptops.  Believe them when they tell you that!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And, just to dig a little deeper, it says:
    "The key value of iPad is that it delivers a larger canvas for familiar iOS apps"

Please reference point #1 above:   Analysts fail by looking "at the company through the distorted lens of the status quo"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No, sorry, Apple is moving on.   Steve created a great product limited only by the technology available at the time and made it the status quo of large screen iPods.   Now rather than sticking with the status quo, Apple is moving on.   Look at almost any IPad ad and they are telling you that very directly.  So, how are they doing that:
    Partly, by producing a very cheap, base level iOS based iPad to take in the casual laptop user.

But they also took it a step further to go after the hardcore, laptop user of word processing and spreadsheets, etc...  Applications that require efficient and precise control: 
    First they added an external keyboard to the iPad. 
    Then they added a file system

But, despite Apple's claims that the iPad is a laptop replacement (which the article seemed to ignore), it is still missing a core component of a laptop:  a cursor.  To be a laptop replacement, it must have one for two reasons:  
    Most laptops are used on desks & tables, not laps.  To work efficiently at a desk, you need everything within the reach of a finger.  Manipulating a touch screen laptop is (as Apple has pointed out) cumbersome (to be kind).

Most laptops are used for
    Web browsing
    Word processing
    Spread sheets

The iPad is already very good at the first of those.  But, without a cursor, it is cumbersome for the latter two (particularly the last).

Does adding a cursor make it a hybrid?   Perhaps.   Shrug...  But:
    The "toaster/refrigerator" analogy is a false analogy.   Toasters and refrigerators do opposite things.   iPads and laptops do very similar things.   Adding a cursor to the iPad may make it a hybrid but it doesn't compromise its current abilities in any way.

Come on Apple!   #GiveUsACursor!

You totally misread Dan’s posting and Apple’s “What’s a computer” ad. 
    I’ll let Dan answer for himself and I’ll focus on the ad. 
    The ad isn’ dissing Macs or PC’s but rather answering pundits who claim that the iPad is not a real computer. 
    For many who do not work a desk job and many of us who do but don’t need the clutter at home, the iPad is the only computer we need. It’s become as Apple used to claim, the computer for the rest of us. 
  • Reply 42 of 56
    surprised no one has mentioned sore eyes, I find long sessions on my iPadPro induce this, ok better ambient lighting might mitigate this but still I find the the light levels emanating from the screen to be particularly caustic. Other things that concern me are to what extent or degree are iPadPro pencil users also Wacom desktop users, are these groups mutually exclusive or is there an overlap, as someone who uses a Wacom in conjunction with a 30" monitor I find the iPadPro no match for it, the whole point of a Wacom is saying goodby to starring at the back of your drawing hand all day, and this is before we talk about the less than perfect palm rejection. Yes tablets are fantastic and a godsend for getting you away from the desktop but I find them too small to take seriously and the pencil too skiddy to be perfectly controllable  
  • Reply 43 of 56
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    George claims that a spreadsheet is a main use of a laptop which makes me think he doesn't know too many people with a laptop....

Data entry and treatment is the pits on a small screen, a laptop keyboard and without a mouse; creating spreadsheets on a laptop thus is not a major utterance especially since most best  business laptops are NOT 17 inchers, they're more 13-14 inch.

Consulting and doing small modications to tables, equations though is done routinely on laptops and yes, tablets.

Changing workflow in the business is what can lead to using Ipads instead of laptops or desktops for many tasks.  Each one of these is a computer of sorts, and they all have their place in that chain.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    The article says:
    "A primary reason why analysts are so frequently wrong about Apple is that they look at the company through the distorted lens of the status quo, expressed in the generally unsuccessful (either by lack of ambition or giddy credulity) new product attempts of its rivals, or the basic commodity offerings they've been selling on a runway that leads toward lethal price erosion. "

And THEN the article goes on to do exactly that!   Stating that an iPad is just a big iPod Touch and suggesting that it can never be anything else...
    No, it does not say either of those things. iPad was dismissed by critics as "just a big iPod touch," but while it was a large iOS device, it obviously can do things you can't do on a small handheld iPod device.

N
    "iPad was broadly seen as a failed attempt to replace the Mac, something it doesn't attempt to do, and which would be foolish for Apple to aspire to do."

What's that?
    How does Apple's latest iPad commercial end?  Isn't something like:  "WHAT'S A LAPTOP?"
    The girl in the ad says "what's a computer?" The suggestion is that she grew up familiar iOS, and therefore doesn't think of her iPad as being a "computer," but rather a familiar tool carried everywhere. Many iPad users have never used a Mac. Obviously, because look how many Apple shipped!

The article bases its argument on iPads competing, overtaking and becoming Macs.

ZZZ
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 56
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    I've always thought that this blogger captured the Essence of iPad very early on and quite well: www.speirs.org/blog/2010/1/29/future-shock.html?rq=ipad%20future%20shock

watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 56
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    thedba said:
    The article says:

What's that?
    The article bases its argument on iPads competing, overtaking and becoming Macs.   But Macs have such a tiny market segment, why would they bother?  Instead, they're quite obviously and explicitly going after the Mac's biggest competitor:  laptops.  Believe them when they tell you that!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And, just to dig a little deeper, it says:
    "The key value of iPad is that it delivers a larger canvas for familiar iOS apps"

Please reference point #1 above:   Analysts fail by looking "at the company through the distorted lens of the status quo"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No, sorry, Apple is moving on.   Steve created a great product limited only by the technology available at the time and made it the status quo of large screen iPods.   Now rather than sticking with the status quo, Apple is moving on.   Look at almost any IPad ad and they are telling you that very directly.  So, how are they doing that:
    Partly, by producing a very cheap, base level iOS based iPad to take in the casual laptop user.

But they also took it a step further to go after the hardcore, laptop user of word processing and spreadsheets, etc...  Applications that require efficient and precise control: 
    First they added an external keyboard to the iPad. 
    Then they added a file system

But, despite Apple's claims that the iPad is a laptop replacement (which the article seemed to ignore), it is still missing a core component of a laptop:  a cursor.  To be a laptop replacement, it must have one for two reasons:  
    Most laptops are used on desks & tables, not laps.  To work efficiently at a desk, you need everything within the reach of a finger.  Manipulating a touch screen laptop is (as Apple has pointed out) cumbersome (to be kind).

Most laptops are used for
    Web browsing
    Word processing
    Spread sheets

The iPad is already very good at the first of those.  But, without a cursor, it is cumbersome for the latter two (particularly the last).

Does adding a cursor make it a hybrid?   Perhaps.   Shrug...  But:
    The "toaster/refrigerator" analogy is a false analogy.   Toasters and refrigerators do opposite things.   iPads and laptops do very similar things.   Adding a cursor to the iPad may make it a hybrid but it doesn't compromise its current abilities in any way.

Come on Apple!   #GiveUsACursor!

You totally misread Dan’s posting and Apple’s “What’s a computer” ad. 
    I’ll let Dan answer for himself and I’ll focus on the ad. 
    The ad isn’ dissing Macs or PC’s but rather answering pundits who claim that the iPad is not a real computer. 
    For many who do not work a desk job and many of us who do but don’t need the clutter at home, the iPad is the only computer we need. It’s become as Apple used to claim, the computer for the rest of us. 

I'm glad that you and your segment is happy with the current state of the iPad.  For many others, most others, it doesn't meet their needs.  They need a laptop.  Apple can satisfy both without taking anything away from either....   It's not either/or...
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 47 of 56
    foggyhill said:
    George claims that a spreadsheet is a main use of a laptop which makes me think he doesn't know too many people with a laptop....

Data entry and treatment is the pits on a small screen, a laptop keyboard and without a mouse; creating spreadsheets on a laptop thus is not a major utterance especially since most best  business laptops are NOT 17 inchers, they're more 13-14 inch.

Consulting and doing small modications to tables, equations though is done routinely on laptops and yes, tablets.

Changing workflow in the business is what can lead to using Ipads instead of laptops or desktops for many tasks.  Each one of these is a computer of sorts, and they all have their place in that chain.
    Actually, I don't know too many people with an iPad...  It's functionality is too limited -- especially for business use.

And, I doubt that businesses will redesign their workflow to suit Apple's available products!
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 48 of 56
    The article says:

No, it does not say either of those things. iPad was dismissed by critics as "just a big iPod touch," but while it was a large iOS device, it obviously can do things you can't do on a small handheld iPod device.

N

What's that?
    The girl in the ad says "what's a computer?" The suggestion is that she grew up familiar iOS, and therefore doesn't think of her iPad as being a "computer," but rather a familiar tool carried everywhere. Many iPad users have never used a Mac. Obviously, because look how many Apple shipped!

The article bases its argument on iPads competing, overtaking and becoming Macs.

ZZZ
    Obviously we can disagree about these things -- and we obviously do...

But you haven't argued what makes the current iPad anything more than a big iPod Touch.  Actually, as I read the article, it seems to say that that is what it is (an iPod Touch with a big screen) and that is what it is constrained to remain -- which was my point.  While I agree that that is what it currently is, I don't think that is where it will stay.  I think Apple has plans for its enhanced functionality -- namely to replace laptops -- at least low-end & mid-level consumer grade laptops.  But, in its current configuration, it can't do that because it can't meet the needs of most laptop users.

And your cherry picked quote answered by ZZZ's  did not address the question raised -- which was the contention that Apple is targeting the laptop market with the iPad.  (Or specifically,  the iPad Pro)

• Reply 49 of 56
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member

I'm glad that you and your segment is happy with the current state of the iPad.  For many others, most others, it doesn't meet their needs.  They need a laptop.  Apple can satisfy both without taking anything away from either....   It's not either/or...
    It sounds like you want to turn the iPad into Macbook.
    Why? They already have the Macbook in the lineup. If you think the iPad does not meet your needs enough but still want lightweight, then Macbook is the way to go. 
    jony0
  • Reply 50 of 56
    The iPad was the first time I ever bought a first generation Apple product (and the last time too). While it was a great device and I loved using it during its very short life, it pretty much had the shortest life of any iOS product, mostly thanks to the paltry 256mb of RAM it had. Immediately after iOS 4 was made available late in the launch year, it really choked - if you think your iPhone 6 is slow on iOS 11, that's nothing compared to a one year old iPad 1st gen. Of course now the opposite is true with even an iPad Air from 2013 still feeling quite usable - so while I agree with the spirit of the article that the iPad as a device has genuinely been revolutionary and had a huge impact on ultra-portable computing, the original device was left wanting. You actually get the impression retrospectively that Apple themselves were not expecting it to be as good as it was. I still own one. I've had the iPad 1st gen, 3rd Gen and now an iPad Pro 10".
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 51 of 56
    thedba said:

It sounds like you want to turn the iPad into Macbook.
    Why? They already have the Macbook in the lineup. If you think the iPad does not meet your needs enough but still want lightweight, then Macbook is the way to go. 
    That's the strawman argument:   "Turn the iPad into a laptop...."
    ... No, it's not either / or...

We already know that the A10 (much less the A11) can match a mid-level Intel mobile processor.
    We already know that iPad graphics are more than adequate for any mid-level computer task.
    We already know that Apple added an external keyboard to the iPad Pro
    We already know that the Apple pencil can act like a cursor in certain situations
    We already know that Apple added a basic file system to the iPad....

All they have to do is add the cursor back into the iPad's iOS and we have a legitimate laptop killer.  (The cursor was deleted when they cut down MacOS to make the iOS for the first iPhone 10 years ago because it wasn't needed.)

#ReleaseTheCursor!

The true clamshell design will still retain advantages and many will prefer it... 
    But, for many, a computer that can switch hit would be a true benefit to their lives.   The example might be the high school student who, when he gets home from school relaxes playing some games on his IPad, then uses it as a laptop to finish his term paper and then removes it from the keyboard and uses it to FaceTime his girlfriend and check FaceBook...  And then, the next morning, stuff it in his backpack (with or without the external keyboard -- probably with since its used a cover) and take it to school to take notes on with the pencil to mark up the PowerPoints his teacher downloaded....

Out of that entire scenario, his need for a laptop was only about, say 1/3 of the total.  So, should his dad spend $1,000+ for a separate laptop just for that small amount of time when he already has the means to do it easily and well with his iPad?

An HP or Samsung would withhold the cursor and try to sell both.
    Apple has never, yet, done that.

#ReleaseTheCursor!
    ... (Where are those Russian bots when you need them?  Come on guys!  Back me up!  Make this go viral!)

• Reply 52 of 56
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,006member
    I’ll start by saying that it is entirely possible for Apple to create a dud. Not likely, but it could happen. Nobody’s perfect.

Still, it’s entertaining to read the article at the top of this thread - particularly the stuff about the critics and naysayers when iPad was realeased - and then go visit the current commentary about the release of the HomePod. Then remember back to the recent commentary contemporary to the release of Apple Watch. There’s a fairly clear pattern of deriding each thing and pontificating how no one will want, buy or use each one, and that Apple doesn’t know what they’re doing and are doomed to irrelevance and abject failure. Yet somehow, as all those predictions keep coming up wrong, and with each new Apple product release, the same stuff keeps coming up, as though nobody can remember anything from more than a week ago. So sure, HomePod is pointless and doomed, right?
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 53 of 56
    Why are the iPads not selling as well as they did? Not lack of demand as much as people just keep on using the well-made things. They hold up. So perfectly simple one does not need to constantly upgrade once you find the model you want, works well long term. But while the sales won't go up and up and up, they won't drop a lot either. At a certain point they will be replaced--who can live without one?!
  • Reply 54 of 56
    kiowavt said:
    Why are the iPads not selling as well as they did? Not lack of demand as much as people just keep on using the well-made things. They hold up. So perfectly simple one does not need to constantly upgrade once you find the model you want, works well long term. But while the sales won't go up and up and up, they won't drop a lot either. At a certain point they will be replaced--who can live without one?!
    Yes...
    ... And the Plus sized phones have made them less necessary.  If we were all using SE sized phones (as we were when iPad was introduced) there would be a lot more iPads being sold.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    Eight years ago today, Steve Jobs introduced iPad, positioned as a new device category between the highly-mobile iPhone and conventional Macs. Some critics were disappointed that it wasn't a Mac in tablet form; others were upset it wasn't a telephone, that it wasn't smaller, that wasn't larger--or that it effectively was a larger iPod touch. All critics have since agreed that iPad is a disastrous, disappointing problem Apple should feel bad about despite it being the most popular, most profitable, most influential new form factor in personal electronics since iPhone itself.

But at no point will iPad focus on trying to be a Mac for global iOS audiences who increasingly don't know anything about the Macintosh.
    Extremely well wrote article Daniel Eran. I really like the detail in which you went into the article. I personally have a iPad Air 2. It is my first tablet of any kind and use it everyday and love it. I am on the latest version of of iOS 11.2.5 and have no problems with it of any kind, such as slow down. I want the upcoming 2018 12.9” iPad Pro with Apple Pencil, but I am torn because my iPad Air 2 does so well and meets all my needs for now. That is the thing with iPads they just last so long and the iOS is so well thought out and intuitive. I will never consider my iPad as a laptop replacement, but it does what it was always intended to do. Personally I feel Apple kinda of screwed up the 2016-2017 MacBook Pro because in my point of view they are not Pro Hardware, but they seem to always get it right with the iPhone and iPads. Again great article.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 56 of 56
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    foggyhill said:

Actually, I don't know too many people with an iPad...  It's functionality is too limited -- especially for business use.

And, I doubt that businesses will redesign their workflow to suit Apple's available products!
    Of course not. iPhone will never catch on in business settings for the same reason...right?

Things change when people’s (especially decision-makers’) expectations change. 

Business infrastructure laughed at iPhone when it was released (CrackBerry all the way, baby), but eventually started supporting it when more and more executives started asking why they couldn’t use this thing they loved for the job, as well. To the point where it made sense for Apple to add enterprise features and support to iOS. 

When end the next generation of decision makers grows into management, their expectations of what computing platforms are needed and how they should work will be shaped by having grown up on smartphones and mobile OS’en FIRST, with “real” computers a mere afterthought, added into the mix only when the others failed entirely.