Apple Pay accepted at 1 out of 2 U.S. stores, says Apple VP Jennifer Bailey

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    What I would like to see Apple make a push on is utilities payment. My Gas and Electric utilities use online payment through a third party that scrapes an extra $2.50 or so for each online payment. That would seem to be a market ripe for disruption.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    What I would like to see Apple make a push on is utilities payment. My Gas and Electric utilities use online payment through a third party that scrapes an extra $2.50 or so for each online payment. That would seem to be a market ripe for disruption.
    I believe that added amount may contain a kickback to the utility, so they ding their customers twice.
  • Reply 43 of 52
    mmatzmmatz Posts: 17member
    My experience in stores here in rural and semi-urban southern Virginia is 60-40, maybe 70-30 in favor of accepting Apple Pay.  As others have pointed out, the absence of an AP sign or logo is not necessarily an indication that the merchant won’t accept it.  Not unusual for the person at checkout to be surprised to discover that their store accepts AP.
    +1 for Sheetz.
    And I’ll have to check out SpeedPass, since I buy gas at Exxon pretty often.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    AirunJae said:
    Here in the Midwest, Apple Pay adoption is definitely pulling that 50% average down. However, I've seen more places having it within the last year or so, and the gas station I frequent most often has little "wireless payment coming soon" icons on the pumps nearest my house. I really want to see Target adopt it, but that will be a while (if ever) since they added a wallet within their app to pay in stores.
    It’s crazy to me that Target hasn’t adopted Apple Pay (and others) when they had the largest customer data breach in recent memory. 
    Same opinion here. Target has made some poor anti-customer decisions recently.
    And after Current C went nowhere I thought they might move toward contactless payments. I haven’t heard about them rolling their own solution like Walmart but I guess they’re in no hurry. I feel like if Target gets on board then Walmart would probably follow. I don’t really shop at either (well, online I do) but if either of them started accepting Apple Pay I think we’d see more rapid adoption. Same goes with CVS. 
    No, Walmart won’t get on board. They don’t need to. They want that data collected at checkout for themselves.
    I agree. But if Target started accepting Apple Pay in physical stores and Walmart noticed a decrease in traffic then Walmart may make that change.

I can’t see all these larger stores holding out forever, eventually they’ll turn to corner. Don’t they all accept chips now? Isn’t that giving them the same information as they get from Apple Pay, et al, which is to say basically nothing? If they’ll accept credit cards with a chip it makes almost no sense to not accept the other NFC solutions. Unless I’m missing something here. 
  • Reply 45 of 52
    AirunJae said:
    Here in the Midwest, Apple Pay adoption is definitely pulling that 50% average down. However, I've seen more places having it within the last year or so, and the gas station I frequent most often has little "wireless payment coming soon" icons on the pumps nearest my house. I really want to see Target adopt it, but that will be a while (if ever) since they added a wallet within their app to pay in stores.
    It’s crazy to me that Target hasn’t adopted Apple Pay (and others) when they had the largest customer data breach in recent memory. 
    Same opinion here. Target has made some poor anti-customer decisions recently.
    And after Current C went nowhere I thought they might move toward contactless payments. I haven’t heard about them rolling their own solution like Walmart but I guess they’re in no hurry. I feel like if Target gets on board then Walmart would probably follow. I don’t really shop at either (well, online I do) but if either of them started accepting Apple Pay I think we’d see more rapid adoption. Same goes with CVS. 
    No, Walmart won’t get on board. They don’t need to. They want that data collected at checkout for themselves.
    I agree. But if Target started accepting Apple Pay in physical stores and Walmart noticed a decrease in traffic then Walmart may make that change.

I can’t see all these larger stores holding out forever, eventually they’ll turn to corner. Don’t they all accept chips now? Isn’t that giving them the same information as they get from Apple Pay, et al, which is to say basically nothing? If they’ll accept credit cards with a chip it makes almost no sense to not accept the other NFC solutions. Unless I’m missing something here. 
    This is why Walmart is not particularly concerned about Target: https://www.investopedia.com/articles/active-trading/070715/target-vs-walmart-whos-winning-big-box-war.asp

On the other hand, Walmart IS concerned about Amazon.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    My natural gas utility had a charge for using a credit card. I would have the bank send them a check to arrive on the exact due date. They recently updated to a online third party processor that does not charge a fee. I now pay them on the day that bill arrives.

Every bill I get in the mail goes to great lengths to make me go "paperless." I am willing to cooperate, but there has to be something in it for me. I like receiving paper, as it makes it easy for me to track. But no one ever offers some deal to do so. IOW, I give up a service I like to save them money. STFU. Only one vendor ever did that: AT&T. I got a $10 gift card for going paperless for >6 mos. Sold.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    eightzero said:
    My natural gas utility had a charge for using a credit card. I would have the bank send them a check to arrive on the exact due date. They recently updated to a online third party processor that does not charge a fee. I now pay them on the day that bill arrives.

Every bill I get in the mail goes to great lengths to make me go "paperless." I am willing to cooperate, but there has to be something in it for me. I like receiving paper, as it makes it easy for me to track. But no one ever offers some deal to do so. IOW, I give up a service I like to save them money. STFU. Only one vendor ever did that: AT&T. I got a $10 gift card for going paperless for >6 mos. Sold.
    Why not the benefit of just being able to save all your files digitally. I think everyone of my online bills offer a PDF download that would look exactly like the paper bill. I also copy the annual results from my CC purchases and bank transfers so I can always see them again. Being digital means that there is no clutter since these mostly text documents use very little space.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:

Why not the benefit of just being able to save all your files digitally. I think everyone of my online bills offer a PDF download that would look exactly like the paper bill. I also copy the annual results from my CC purchases and bank transfers so I can always see them again. Being digital means that there is no clutter since these mostly text documents use very little space.
    Sure. I get that too. What they want is to turn the paper off with no benefit to me. I pay online with a card, and keep a pdf of the receipt. The paper reminds me to do that.

For some things, like utilities, I'd pay in advance. Maybe up to a year or so...if they gave me a discount.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:

Sure. I get that too. What they want is to turn the paper off with no benefit to me. I pay online with a card, and keep a pdf of the receipt. The paper reminds me to do that.

For some things, like utilities, I'd pay in advance. Maybe up to a year or so...if they gave me a discount.
    Even ignoring the waste of creating paper, printing paper, and shipping paper in its various stages all the way to the letter sent to me, it does benefit me to not have to ope, shred, and then dispose of these documents. That's more than enough reason for me to opt-in for paperless.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    The problem with Apple Pay is that it's dependent on NFC.  NFC was the thing back when credit cards used NFC to transmit.  Now Credit Cards are all using the Chip so NFC has no more viable future EXCEPT Apple Pay.  There is no motivation to keep NFC capabilities anymore.  I love Apple Pay but Samsung had the right idea allowing their phones to emulate a card swipe, though swiping may also go away.

• Reply 51 of 52
    webraider said:
    The problem with Apple Pay is that it's dependent on NFC.  NFC was the thing back when credit cards used NFC to transmit.  Now Credit Cards are all using the Chip so NFC has no more viable future EXCEPT Apple Pay.  There is no motivation to keep NFC capabilities anymore.  I love Apple Pay but Samsung had the right idea allowing their phones to emulate a card swipe, though swiping may also go away.
    1) That "card swipe" is what's going away. It doesn't work with chipped cards. LoopPay is just a stopgap, and one doesn't really solve any problems.

2) ApplePay, SamsungPay, AndroidPay, and other services that use secure, bank-controlled, NFC-based payments are the future. 
    ihatescreennames
  • Reply 52 of 52
    This apple pay story is FAKE NEWS.  Wish someone who attends one of the apple events would stand up and call BULL SH!t, show the proof.. There is no one on this thread that can substantiate what Baily claims. I agree with most of you here best is ~20% or so.

For what its worth, the only regular retailer I go to that has apple pay is Trader Joes's. love them for having it.