Apple confirms HomePod audio sources limited to Apple Music, iTunes purchases, podcasts & ...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 106
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    maestro64 said:
    Ok this is clear is mud, can any confirm it will support your iTunes Library even if it does not include iTunes purchases. My entire library consisted of CD which I ripped over the last 20 yrs, I have not bought too many digital only songs from Apple iTunes store. It announcement make it sound like only iTunes purchases are supported. I am assuming if i stream from my computer it will work. I am thinking if you have purchase it know what you purchase will play them via siri requests. My Homepod is due the 9th so i will see how it works, but a heads up would be nice.
    I believe yes, you can just use AirPlay when playing through iTunes. So it doesn't necessarily need to be directly through the iTunes Store, or using Apple Music. 
    mike1StrangeDayswillcropointlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 106

Would it be too much to ask of a $350 mono speaker that it at least have an AUX audio input? Then it could play whatever the customer wants to play.
    Would it be too much to ask of a $350 mono speaker that it at least have an AUX audio input? Then it could play whatever the customer wants to play.
    Kinda defeats the purpose of their goal to make everything truly wireless. 🤷🏽‍♂️ They clearly made this to a specific cup of tea not be a jack of all trades. So yes, you’re asking too much. That the HomePod clearly isn’t for you.
    There is far more to be gained by making the HomePod more useful than by some religious need to make it "purely wireless". I have an excellent wireless speaker from WrenSound, which had the good sense to also include an audio input. It is just common sense to give the user a few choices. Especially when you are charging a lot more than your main competition.
    Charging more for a vastly superior sounding device, with 10 times more tech involved. HomePod has no competitors in it's category.
    mike1macxpressuraharachiaBluntRobPalmer9lolliverwatto_cobrasmiffy31
  • Reply 23 of 106

maestro64 said:
    Ok this is clear is mud, can any confirm it will support your iTunes Library even if it does not include iTunes purchases. My entire library consisted of CD which I ripped over the last 20 yrs, I have not bought too many digital only songs from Apple iTunes store. It announcement make it sound like only iTunes purchases are supported. I am assuming if i stream from my computer it will work. I am thinking if you have purchase it know what you purchase will play them via siri requests. My Homepod is due the 9th so i will see how it works, but a heads up would be nice.
    They've already clarified that the songs you've ripped will play two ways: either via Airplay without any subscription to Apple Music, or via Siri as long as you have them in aiCloud music library, with EITHER a Apple Music subscription or a iTunes Match subscription (included with Apple Music or 24.99 a year) .   Congratulations!
    edited February 2018 lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 106
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Not an untoward confirmation. I hope that they're working on a proper App Store so that other services can be installed so that it can be used like a proper digital personal assistant, instead of a basic wireless speaker connected to your smartphone.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 25 of 106

fallenjt said:
    I'm torn by this. I really want wait for 2nd generation of the HomePod, but my heart says: it's now. damn it.
    Who says there will even be a 2nd gen? Even if they did, I doubt it would be any time soon. 
    aylkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 106

It’ll eventually support 3rd party music service..
    Pretty sure it won't. 
    aylkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 106
    maestro64 said:
    Yes it will but you have to use iTunes Match and pay monthly.

Then its all accessible and you can even use Siri
    "Hey Siri, play songs from my iTunes library"
    becomes
    "Hey Siri, upload all of my vast iTunes music to Apple, charge me to store it there, and them stream it back to me."

We're talking about an Apple iTunes library here people!  This is not a "third party" situation!
    aylkbonobob
  • Reply 28 of 106

Kinda defeats the purpose of their goal to make everything truly wireless. 🤷🏽‍♂️ They clearly made this to a specific cup of tea not be a jack of all trades. So yes, you’re asking too much. That the HomePod clearly isn’t for you.
    There is far more to be gained by making the HomePod more useful than by some religious need to make it "purely wireless". I have an excellent wireless speaker from WrenSound, which had the good sense to also include an audio input. It is just common sense to give the user a few choices. Especially when you are charging a lot more than your main competition.

So go buy what suits your needs and stop trying to make HomePod into something Apple didn't intend it for. Not everything Apple makes is for everyone. If you feel so strongly about having an audio jack in your speaker then find something that has it that sounds just as good as HomePod. 
    mike1yoyo2222StrangeDayslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 106
    maestro64 said:
    ...the compatibility lists Apple Lossless and AirTunes from all but the watch, so presumably all good...

Indeed are lack of aux input and the complexity of the device valid concerns ?

I have audiophile gear from the 1980s that is still going strong, yet my two forays into wireless AIO type options have been very problematic, with dropouts still, and the apparently common irreparability of proprietary mass produced multi level circuit boards. If Apple sunsets parts after five years, will users be a long way from traditional repairs of caps and transistors, if at all...
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 30 of 106
    I have an Apple Music family membership which supports six devices and I currently have five devices registered for four different AppleID's.  I'll just say, it would be nice if Apple didn't count the HomePod as a membership license.  I know we will be able to AirPlay to it, and someday multiple AppleID's will be able to use it for access to their playlists and music profiles, but if it takes up a device license from the family plan, I don't see myself buying more than one.

Edit - Apple Music Family Membership now supports six AppleID's (not sure when that changed).  The only place I see a device limit is with Family Sharing which supports ten devices.  I suppose there is a case for using 'Find My HomePod' if it were stolen, but really the only Family Sharing purpose would be Apple Music.  I guess I still think it would be nice if it was not counted as a Family Sharing device.  Anyway, for my family the device count shouldn't be a limiting factor and I can easily see getting more than one.  

edited February 2018 dewme
  • Reply 31 of 106

For a few years now I've felt like they need to hire someone at Apple whose only job is to go around and slap anyone who makes really stupid anti-consumer decisions, and they should be able to unilaterally reject certain ideas (such as one port on the macbook, not supporting third party streaming services, getting rid of magsafe, and making stupidly large phones).

I guess that person is Tim Cook, but he apparently is busy doing other things.

(of course, none of this has stopped me from ordering a HomePod. I'm just concerned about being able to set it up with my ancient 5S and 2nd gen iPad).

edited February 2018
  • Reply 32 of 106

For a few years now I've felt like they need to hire someone at Apple whose only job is to go around and slap anyone who makes really stupid anti-consumer decisions, and they should be able to unilaterally reject certain ideas (such as one port on the macbook, not supporting third party streaming services, getting rid of magsafe, and making stupidly large phones).

I guess that person is Tim Cook, but he apparently is busy doing other things.

(of course, none of this has stopped me from ordering a HomePod. I'm just concerned about being able to set it up with my ancient 5S and 2nd gen iPad).

So everyone should be slapped at Apple unless its for something you specifically want....got it! I didn't know Apple should revolve around you. 
    lolliverwatto_cobramacgui
  • Reply 33 of 106
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    maestro64 said:

becomes
    "Hey Siri, upload all of my vast iTunes music to Apple, charge me to store it there, and them stream it back to me."

We're talking about an Apple iTunes library here people!  This is not a "third party" situation!
    Do you know what's all involved with having Siri search through a large database of music efficiently?  Perhaps it requires a ton of CPU power, perhaps it requires storing a huge database of information, perhaps both, or even more factors.  Things which are easily handled by a powerful cloud server farm, but not so easily handled by whatever computer you're running iTunes on (for myself, it's a 7 year old Mac Mini).
    edited February 2018 lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 106
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    maestro64 said:

becomes

That is exactly what I though, it will not allow me to stream directly from the vast library of songs on my computer, which I do not store in icloud and any way.

Today I have my ITunes Library on an external HDD on my Imac as well a backup on a NAS. The NAS is a PLEX server and it allows me to stream music and movies to any device I have which support Plex and Plex on an iOS devices can then Airplay to any device in house which supports Airplay which I have a few speaks and ATV's hooked to surround sound systems in my house. So I can stream from my Mac to any airplay device. I can also stream synced music on any iOS device to my Airplay devices as well as songs I can access on the plex server. I was hopping to eliminate the who thing.

I have to decide if I want to pay for iTunes Match to avoid the who Plex system I have been using.
    edited February 2018 Spike_Lightfoot
  • Reply 35 of 106
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    maestro64 said:
    maestro64 said:

becomes

That is exactly what I though, it will not allow me to stream directly from the vast library of songs on my computer, which I do not store in icloud and any way.

Today I have NAS with my library back up to, and it also is a PLEX server and it allows me to stream music to any device I have which support Plex and Plex on an iOS devices can then Airplay to any device in house which supports Airplay which I have a few speaks and ATV's hooked to surround sound systems in my house. 

I have to decide if I want to pay for iTunes Match to avoid the who Plex system I have been using.
    I fail to understand why your current PLEX setup, if it supports Airplay, wouldn't work with the HomePod?

It's simply the case that, if you want voice control via Siri, you need to have your music stored in the cloud.  I listed a few reasons in my previous post why making Siri work efficiently locally might be a challenge.
    StrangeDayslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 106
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    auxio said:
    maestro64 said:

becomes

Do you know what's all involved with having Siri search through a large database of music efficiently?  Perhaps it requires a ton of CPU power, perhaps it requires storing a huge database of information, perhaps both, or even more factors.  Things which are easily handled by a powerful cloud server farm, but not so easily handled by whatever computer you're running iTunes on (for myself, it's a 7 year old Mac Mini).
    And yet, it works on a phone (128/256 GB holds a lot of music)
    Spike_Lightfootbonobob
  • Reply 37 of 106
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    Not mono. It has seven speakers and performs channel separation, including L and R. 

Next. 
    And yet they delayed release working on getting stereo speakers working. 
    aylk
  • Reply 38 of 106
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    Kinda defeats the purpose of their goal to make everything truly wireless. ߤ簟ヲzwj;♂️ They clearly made this to a specific cup of tea not be a jack of all trades. So yes, you’re asking too much. That the HomePod clearly isn’t for you.

"Hey Siri, play songs from my iTunes library" becomes

Obviously they do the lock-iin base strategy - until the moment they realize it becomes a lock-out strategy for themselves.
    Which may be pretty soon because of their late entry in the market and the idiosyncrasies that stem from supporting a more open environment such as iTunes
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 39 of 106
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    maestro64 said:
    maestro64 said:

becomes

Today I have my ITunes Library on an external HDD on my Imac as well a backup on a NAS. The NAS is a PLEX server and it allows me to stream music and movies to any device I have which support Plex and Plex on an iOS devices can then Airplay to any device in house which supports Airplay which I have a few speaks and ATV's hooked to surround sound systems in my house. So I can stream from my Mac to any airplay device. I can also stream synced music on any iOS device to my Airplay devices as well as songs I can access on the plex server. I was hopping to eliminate the who thing.

I have my iTunes library on an external HDD as well. The HDD is connected to my iMac in my office. I currently stream everything to my Onkyo receiver from my MBP or iPhone. If you want to stream your music to a HomePod, why don't you just use Home Sharing with the library on the HDD that's connected to your iMac? You don't need Plex for your music. 
    Spike_LightfootStrangeDayslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 106
    auxio said:
    maestro64 said:

becomes

You are absolutely correct. Witness the issue that the Siri-remote Apple TV has searching for movies in a local iTunes library (if they weren't purchased from Apple). If one is looking at the movie list in ATV it will find movies visible on that section of the list but no others. Scroll down the list and it will no longer find the same movie it just found. At least scrolling has been improved and is now easier than it was when ATV4 was first released.