Chinese counterfeiter made over $1.1M trafficking phony iPhones, iPads in US

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    wood1208 said:
    Not bad. Made over $1M, sent to family and live in better prison than Chinese labor camp if convicted in China..
    Counterfeiters are given extra special government recognition in China for their contributions to the glory of the empire. Another job well done, fellow worker! The PRC thanks you for your service.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 32
    ronn said:
    metrix said:
    My understanding is they are all over China, can you imagine how many phones Apple would really sell.
    That was my thought as well. These counterfeiters had family members in China. I imagine there are tons of counterfeits sold directly in China and thus impacting Apple negatively. Everyone remembers years ago with all the fake Apple stores. Some of them were allowed/ignored by Chinese officials. Greasing palms will do that.
    I would really love to have one of these to play some more with it. Where could you buy one of these?
  • Reply 23 of 32
    ronn said:
    metrix said:
    My understanding is they are all over China, can you imagine how many phones Apple would really sell.
    That was my thought as well. These counterfeiters had family members in China. I imagine there are tons of counterfeits sold directly in China and thus impacting Apple negatively. Everyone remembers years ago with all the fake Apple stores. Some of them were allowed/ignored by Chinese officials. Greasing palms will do that.
    I would really love to have one of these to play some more with it. Where could you buy one of these?
    Go visit almost any “Chinatown” in a big city and you’ll find plenty of black market knockoffs.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    So this guy was selling genuine samsungs?

SCNR
    RobPalmer9watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 32
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    wood1208 said:
    Not bad. Made over $1M, sent to family and live in better prison than Chinese labor camp if convicted in China..
    No, in China nothing would happen except the local Party boss would get a cut. That what really gets me about China suing American companies for copyright infringement. 
    SpamSandwichRobPalmer9watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 32
    wood1208 said:
    Also, when he is out of prison, he would have almost zero chance of getting an H1-B or a green card, for that matter. I am sure, that was well worth the effort he put... Idiot.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    To be honest considering the distributed nature of the scam, I am surprised he got caught.  It shows how good planet-wide surveillance is getting these days.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    badmonk said:
    To be honest considering the distributed nature of the scam, I am surprised he got caught.  It shows how good planet-wide surveillance is getting these days.
    If you carry parts for multiple phones through the border every time you enter the US, that might be a clue that you are not going to use them yourself. Just saying. You dont need planet-wide surveillance to reach that conclusion.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    jd_in_sb said:
    What exactly is a fake iPhone? An android with a iPhone-like body and skin?
    So a Samsung  :D
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 32
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Could AI do a story this week or soon on ways to spot fakes or validate real Apple products?  Everything I have Apple related came from Apple itself but still would like to know what to look out for as I expand the ecosystem in coming years.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    airnerd said:
    Could AI do a story this week or soon on ways to spot fakes or validate real Apple products?  Everything I have Apple related came from Apple itself but still would like to know what to look out for as I expand the ecosystem in coming years.
    1) I like that idea, but I'd use their official submittiomn age to make that request.

2) If you look at the video I posted on the first page, it ultimately comes down to checking how the OS runs if you're buying an aftermarket device as they can only skin the OS so far before it all falls apart. Or, you could plug into a Mac with iTunes to start a system restore to see that the device will not show up since it's an Android at its core.
    airnerd
  • Reply 32 of 32
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jd_in_sb said:
    Soli said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    What exactly is a fake iPhone? An android with a iPhone-like body and skin?
    netrox said:
    I wonder exactly how does he manage to make counterfeit iPhones as well.
    zoetmb said:
    Did these phones work?  Did they use iOS?  Was it obvious looking at them that they weren't real Apple products?   Did they sell them to individuals or to retailers?  
    I assume they're something like this…

WOW!!! I had no idea fakes could be that good!!!
    I just watched it again. It's pretty insane how goof they can look. He mentions "to the untrained eye" but much of what he pointed out seemed to be based on doing a comparative analysis.

The styrofoam bag was the most prominent that I think forum members would instantly question, but I may question whether I'm remembering correctly that Apple was able to get the FCC markings off the back of the device.I think it's clear that the company didn't accidentally add them after analyzing the casing with such intensity to get that precise of an iPhone look. I think they purposely added it to add authenticity because it's not commonly known.

The other things, like the line around the Lightning port, and glass area for the front-facing camera, and the glass to metal edge smoothness I doubt I'd notice or if I did question it I wouldn't be able to know without a direct comparison.