Apple takes media on tour of audio lab in run-up to HomePod launch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,395member
    maestro64 said:
    Phil told a little white lie, this is biggest in the world since you can put full size cars in them 
    https://eckelusa.com/anechoic-chamb

That one's probably larger than Apple's. But if you want to talk size ... while not a totally man-made anechoic chamber, the sonar array test facility in Dresden, NY uses Seneca Lake as an instrumented and geometrically calibrated acoustic test chamber. It's 38 miles long, about 3 miles wide, and averages about 300 feet depth, with some areas being greater than 600 feet in depth. It's been used to test acoustic arrays/structures that weigh in excess of 150 tons. 
  • Reply 22 of 22
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,365member
    zroger73 said:
    Just because something is popular doesn't make it the best...

I love me some "Apple juice", but Siri reminds me of a "dumb blonde" while Alexa reminds me of a "smart brunette".
    I'm not quite as harsh on Siri and don't give Alexa quite that much credit. They both fail me on occasion. I think of them as blonde and brunette assistants with big ta-tas and cut them slack accordingly, if we are to objectify women in pursuit of a metaphor.

fallenjt said:
    I'm watching TV and something in TV dialog could triggered the damn Alexa too....many times.
    That's happened a few times to me too. Without any indication as to how Alexa was trigger, she lights up for a few seconds and then appears to go back to 'sleep'. I assume it's just the NSA taking a sampling.

However, Siri needs work too. She's much harder of hearing than Alexa, and frequently wakes up with work combinations that only approximate 'Hey Siri' and begins recording what she hears until the iDevice times out or I shut it off. Also, loud sounds on TV or computer audio seem to wake Siri up.

Voice controlled purchasing is not enabled in my Dots.

I use both Siri and Alexa because one size doesn't fit all. Maybe, one day...