Apple loses 'Amazing Stories' showrunner over creative differences

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,169member
    And this "sanitized" family-friendly requirement will prevent Apple from competing with Amazon, Netflix, HBO and even Disney as they ramp up their service.
    You do realise you will still be able to watch shows from those service providers on your Apple TV? 
    Rather than just be another me too copy, maybe Apple wants to find its own niche. 
    While what it has produced so far hasn’t been compelling, let’s at least wait and see.

As for Amazing Stories, it was low budget G rated back in the day, I don’t recall any episodes guest starring Eccentrica Gallumbits, the triple breasted whore from Erotican 6. Do you?

edit: I felt I had to give all due respect by properly acknowledging the triple breasted whore from Erotican 6 by name, and also admitting that she would only deign to appear as a guest star, lest her erogenous zones grow to exceed their current five mile limit.
    edited February 2018 fastasleep
  • Reply 22 of 34
    Bryan Fuller did the same exact thing with Star Trek - Discovery, the CBS All Access TV Series!  For 12 episodes, it was not worth watching!  He was the showrunner and left the show after the third episode was finished!  This guy is the worse!
  • Reply 23 of 34
    No idea why people think "family friendly" would be limited to kids shows or G rated content. One of the reasons you don't see more R rated movies is because they typically don't do as well at the box office. 
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Black Mirror is awesome, but it already exists.  Don't need another one.  Amazing Stories wasn't a Black Mirror type show, it was more lighthearted, seems logical to keep the reboot in a similar vein.  (i.e. What Star Trek fan wants to see a 'less Star-Trekky' version of Star Trek? Not I...) In addition, if the trend is for Sci-Fi shows to be dark, being more lighthearted will be very different.  That could be a really good thing.
    anome
  • Reply 25 of 34
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,362member
    I'm an adult and I'm pretty tired of the dark, gloomy, and near hopeless aspect of the 'Life is Hard, and then You Die' genre of programming.

I don't mean we need sanitized cheerleaders jiggling big pom-poms telling us 'Life is G-O-O-D!' But the increasing use of drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, and gloom is depressing. 

Gratuitous sex is fine by me but by no means necessary for good entertainment. I like the idea of Apple being 'family friendly' for all ages. 

A show runner runs the show, but like any project done for a client, it needs client approval. Fuller wanted to do one thing; Apple wanted another. So they part ways. Fair enough. A contractor is hired to do a job. The client can say 'This is what I want' or 'Have fun with it' (ugh). Apple had a vision that Fuller couldn't or wouldn't fulfill. 

'Next!'
  • Reply 26 of 34
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

Two things that spring to mind, which have mostly already been mentioned, but I thought I'd add my support.

1. Bryan Fuller has quit a lot of shows in the last year. Star Trek: Discovery is the most famous (although he still gets a production credit - might be just "Created By" but I thought he might be still down as EP). Now, I have nothing against someone sticking to their vision, but if this keeps happening, especially to established franchises, he needs to look at what he's doing.

2. Like ST:DISCO, Amazing Stories is an established franchise. Unlike ST:DISCO, it's not one in need of a gritty reboot. As people have said, Black Mirror exists, there really isn't a need to try and remake it. I think what Apple and Spielberg had in mind for a new Amazing Stories was something like the precious series - an anthology of family-friendly adventure stories. If he wants to reboot a series in the style of Black Mirror, maybe he should have tried to get the rights to The Outer Limits or Twilight Zone. (Just not Alfred Hitchcock Presents. The subject matter would work, but they shouldn't have bothered last time they rebooted it.)

Finally, do we know for sure that Apple are against adult-rated TV content? The problem might just be down to the nature of the property in question. This sounds like another one of those setting Apple up to fail things. "Well, Apple don't know what they're doing, because the people want tits!" Then, after Apple announces more mature content "Well, Apple don't know what they're doing, they're trying to lure people in by showing tits!"

• Reply 27 of 34
    Apple’s really getting into content?!

Utter crap move, strategically. It’s not in the company’s DNA. I predict it’ll be shut down in a few years. 
  • Reply 28 of 34

Utter crap move, strategically. It’s not in the company’s DNA. I predict it’ll be shut down in a few years. 
    Only if Bob Iger took over the CEO spot would it work.
  • Reply 29 of 34

But what does Bob Iger know about hardware which, with the exception of services, is Apple’s bread-and-butter?
  • Reply 30 of 34

But what does Bob Iger know about hardware which, with the exception of services, is Apple’s bread-and-butter?
    Exactly.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,301member
    I am concerned that Apple’s culture may not be a good fit for media production.  I do think to make good art you need courage to go where the art takes you even if it some place dark.

Only Disney and Pixar seem to have the ability to make solid movies that are family friendly...but there production time line is sooo slow...several years of their hard work goes into making a two hour movie...they hone what they too by meticulous concentrated effort...than again?
  • Reply 32 of 34
    badmonk said:
    I am concerned that Apple’s culture may not be a good fit for media production.  I do think to make good art you need courage to go where the art takes you even if it some place dark.

Only Disney and Pixar seem to have the ability to make solid movies that are family friendly...but there production time line is sooo slow...several years of their hard work goes into making a two hour movie...they hone what they too by meticulous concentrated effort...than again?
    Yeah, if only Apple and Pixar shared something in common... hmm...
  • Reply 33 of 34

macgui said:
    I'm an adult and I'm pretty tired of the dark, gloomy, and near hopeless aspect of the 'Life is Hard, and then You Die' genre of programming.

I don't mean we need sanitized cheerleaders jiggling big pom-poms telling us 'Life is G-O-O-D!' But the increasing use of drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, and gloom is depressing. 

Gratuitous sex is fine by me but by no means necessary for good entertainment. I like the idea of Apple being 'family friendly' for all ages. 
    So watch something else? There are literally hundreds of TV shows nowadays and I'd say a healthy percentage of them have none of the elements you listed above. I like gloom, so stay the hell away from my favorite shows. :)

Also, lol at "increasing use of alcohol, cigarettes" — do you not remember when news anchors and talk show hosts used to smoke on the air?
  • Reply 34 of 34

Bryan Fuller did the same exact thing with Star Trek - Discovery, the CBS All Access TV Series!  For 12 episodes, it was not worth watching!  He was the showrunner and left the show after the third episode was finished!  This guy is the worse!
    He's also done some very, very good TV shows. One of my favorites in recent years was Hannibal, which was absolutely incredible.